Oil Pump gears with charger

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I've read on these forums that you're flirtin with disaster if you do not upgrade your opgs when going to a belt driven supercharger, I've heard several theories of why you should upgrade, but I have to wonder who's throwing caution to the wind and running a charger with stock opg's, and your theory as to why you've been so lucky.

For example. "I've had a paxton kit on my automatic coyote making xxx hp for xx years, and xxx miles, and I believe it's my aftermarket balancer, and staying off the rev limiter in the tuning that has kept my op gears from failing and taking out my motor in the process" or whatever

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
This is interesting. I have a whipple blower and i'm running stock opgs. I am contemplating on upgrading soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What the hell is op? Instead of using acronyms, why can't people use the whole word? Laziness. Why should anyone have to decode what is being said? The English language is going to shit because of this. I've had to look up more acronyms in the last year then ever in my life to understand what the fuck people are saying or asking.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What the hell is op? Instead of using acronyms, why can't people use the whole word? Laziness. Why should anyone have to decode what is being said? The English language is going to shit because of this. I've had to look up more acronyms in the last year then ever in my life to understand what the fuck people are saying or asking.

took me a few seconds to realize WTF he was asking about. I changed the title at least.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks. At least I am not alone in my initial puzzlement.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Sorry guys, thanks for changing the title.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Stock gears, engine, supercharged daily driver since 2012, M90 and then TVS 1.9 starting last summer, 85,000+ miles, winter and summer, not planning on changing anything. I have a 2013 GT500 pump that's going in as-is when I can finally afford to install my boss 302 rods.

5w20 mobil, I do ding the limiter occasionally when the tires unhook in 1st, 2nd. 6700 rpm.

8.5+ psi, tuned by Lito.

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
There are bunch of factory Supercharged cars running stock oil pump gears... Saleen, Roush, Shelby, etc... Many of them come with a 3-year / 36,000 mile warranty too. These cars are in the 450hp to 600hp range with factory dampers, and you can be certain more than one dings the RPM limiter.

That being said... Billet gears from TSS (Triangle Speed Shop) or someone similar are cheap insurance. I'm running an ATI Superdamper and billet gears in my oil pump... $200 to give me peace of mind in a $20,000 engine is worth it in my opinion.

travelers

Reaction score
took me a few seconds to realize WTF he was asking about. I changed the title at least.

Me to but I was in the Air Force for many years we use them for everything.

Now for the Oil Pump Gears, for a couple hundred for the gears and another 4 hundred or so for an ATI Super Damper is cheaper then a new motor.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Me to but I was in the Air Force for many years we use them for everything.

Now for the Oil Pump Gears, for a couple hundred for the gears and another 4 hundred or so for an ATI Super Damper is cheaper then a new motor.

^^ this

went with both + the 2013 pump housing

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The key is keeping off the limiter and not jumping in and out of the go pedal. Better to lose the race than lose your motor.

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
I've tagged the rev limiter more than I'd like to admit until I started doing some reading on here. I don't really worry about it at the track because I actually get traction, but I'm a lot more careful about it on the street now. I've had the blower on for about 7k miles with the stock oil pump gears, probably gonna go with a billet set this winter. Livin' on a prayer until then...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've had a number of combinations (supercharger and motor) and never have used billet gears. I do cut the tab off of the tensioner and invest in sfi rated balancer, flywheel, and clutch for my motors. I've hit the rev limiter a few times while pushing a whole lot of power. Most of my drag racing was with the first motor I built which had a Innovators west balancer and McLeod clutch.

The fact is that stock gears break and when they break the motor usually goes. I'm of the opinion that things like harmonics and the tensioner bottoming out contribute to breaking gears. I also think that higher viscosity oils along with a higher psi relief valve will add to the stress of the gears. But the reality is I don't know.

All of my motors are well balanced by a shop that does nothing but balance, I really think that balancing of the rotating assembly plus having external rotating components that are balanced and won't come apart or change (sfi rated balancer, flywheel, and clutch) during higher rpms is a must for a motor that will see higher than stock rpms.

I did install a 2013 GT500 billet backplate on my current oil pump.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I would also like to add that broken gears can be the result of catastrophic engine failure. Motor fails for another reason and it takes out the gears. Upon disassembly broken oil pump gears are seen and that's the end of the investigation, gears are blamed because they are broken.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Ran the daylights out of a 2005 that made 507/473on a 2.3 twin screw Saleen all stock internals. Traded it in at 43K for a 13 in 2012. Guy still driving beats it to death last I heard and it is still going. 13 made 568/522 and had 21K on it when I traded it in. I ran it as hard as the 05. The current car is a 14 GT auto running the setup I pulled off the 13 and swapped over before trading. Getting ready to bump it up a bit but staying below 600whp. Oil pump gears are a good idea above 600 RWHP or 650FWHP on Coyotes I have read and been advised. Keep in mind Coyotes run higher compression than the 3V as well. Better flowing exhaust is also highly suggested if taking boost above 10psi from an article I just read today. I'm currently at 8.5-9.0 and well below 600RWHP.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
D1sc procharger at 20 psi on corn
298 Livernois Stroker
Stock oil pump
650 rwhp

Not a problem. Car is tracked hard every Friday night I get a chance coming off a 2 step at 4000 rpm

I am running an ATI Superdamper

I occasionally blow a shift here and there. Mostly on the street when the gear box is still cold.

Why am I lucky?

Because LITO powered.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back