Lowering Car- what size tires

I_Drive_Christine

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am getting ready to lower Christine with Ford Racing K springs and I'm planning on running 18x9/18x10 wheels. What is the best size tire to run? Was thinking 255/45 and 285/40 however 285/40 are so hard to find.

What do you all recommend?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
You might have better luck getting 245/45-18 and 275/40-18 in the same tire make/model.

The diameter differences from 255/45 and 285/40 work out to be about 3/8", or about 3/16" more lowering and 3/16" more tire to fender clearance (which you probably won't ever notice without using a steel tape or other measuring device). Technically, you should inflate these slightly smaller tires about 1 psi higher than you would the 255/285 combination, which in turn might not want exactly the same inflation pressures as your OE tires.

Norm

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I copied the '07 GT500 setup on my '08 that I had. 255/45 and 285/40. Lowered on Sportlines.

E31B635E-AAAC-46C6-A01C-0B3B5CCAAB19_zpslqahelbx.jpg

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
285s are ideal for a 10" wide wheel. 295s can squeeze on without much issue. I wouldn't go any wider than that unless it's a drag tire that won't be daily driven on.

A good rule of thumb is to keep your tread width (as measured on a wheel, not the "275" or "315" section width. tirerack is a good resource for this) within a half inch of your wheel width.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you so much. There's times where I miss it, but a good 2nd gear pull in the coyote makes up for it. I actually got the wheels at American Muscle. I like how the face of the wheels was still machined but the barrels and he insides of the spokes were black. I caught them on clearance. $400~ for all for wheels. Tired I sourced from my dealership.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
You looking to sell that spoiler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I was... Wish I would have read this earlier. Now I'm contemplating putting it back on. The corner lifted on one side that's why I took it off. It's formed perfect to the trunk though so I'm thinking someone tried to steal it then realized it was bolted.

I used fishing line to get it off resulting in some cuts on the underside edge. Barely noticeable but the "cuts" and "unsmooth" surface bothered me enough to want to sell it. I'm OCD. Yesterday I decided I might keep it and and then sanded them smooth down to plastic, very carefully and just enough to get them out. Call me crazy (cause I am) but I feel better about it now and might install it again or get it professionally touched up then install. I'll send pics when I get home from work and you can shoot me an offer.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is UA black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I see. Then it's probably better for me to just install it back on. Since you would have to pay to get it painted you'd be better off getting it new from AM. I was trying to sell to someone who needed torch red so I could get more for it but less than they would pay for spoiler+paint.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
AM sells both. I have the OEM one from them. 4 bolts and says ford right on it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back