Rough night at the 1/8mi

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
Took my new setup out last night for some testing. It didnt go well at all.
Suspension is:
13 CJ Springs
Stranger Singles up front (full loose)
QA1 Doubles out back best 60ft was Drivers+12R +3C Pass +12R +2C
BMR Sperical adjustable lcas
Relos in middle hole
Upper in top hole
BMR solid poly upper

MT ET Pros 275/60-15 16psi
MT 26/6-17 Fronts

6sp car, yes I know I would do better with bias ply. Trying to get this to work.

paxton 2200 setup at 22lb.

DA was roughly 2444ft

Only made 3 passes. First pass I spun through 1.2 and into 3rd. Loosened up the rear and lower air from 18-6. Second pass I spun 1 and into 2nd. Tightened up right rear as I saw it uneven in video. Lowered air a touch to right at 16 on mildly warm tires.

Last pass

1.66 60ft
4.65 330ft
6.62 594ft
7.05 1/8th
104.4 Trap

Last pass I spun first, short shifted into 2nd and had to shift at about 5500rpms into 3rd because it was getting loose..

Track was lightly and I do mean lightly prepped prior to event. Lot of street tire cars tracking water out etc....

Burnouts were in 2nd gear at 60mph until i got some good smoke.

Last edited:

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome to my world. Not that I'm making near the power that you are, but my local track's prep on test on tune is complete shit to put it nicely. Then, when the cars with street tires and all the hillbillies in their grandpa's power wagon make 20 passes back to back, it's game over lol

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
You are getting better 60s than me. I have all the same parts. Except I run 28x10.5x15 MT DRAG slicks

I run my qa1 at 4c and 9r

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
Its spinning pretty much the whole 60ft. If I can get it to hook it will pull some decent times. I'm going to a much much better track on July 8th. I'll leave my shock setttings as is I think and maybe take pinion to -2.5 or -3.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Its spinning pretty much the whole 60ft. If I can get it to hook it will pull some decent times. I'm going to a much much better track on July 8th. I'll leave my shock setttings as is I think and maybe take pinion to -2.5 or -3.

Are you sure you want it to hook with that tire? From what I've heard, having them spin a little saves many parts on a stick/radial car.

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
If something breaks I'll fix it. Driveline is pretty well built. 6060 trans, custom driveshaft, detroit locker diff, moser axles. Only major concern I have would be axle tubes. But if it happens it happens.

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
I would already have the CHE brace on but I dont think it will work on my setup. I have a bmr rear sway bar setup that mounts to the relos where that brace would mount.

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have that same sway bar setup, and BMR lowering brackets. They said the brace would work with the lowering brackets. I didn't ask about the sway bar because looking at the pics of it, I think it's going to clear just fine. I might have to do some customizing. It should be here next week. I'll let you know if it bolts up or if I had to fab it a little. Maybe send me a PM in a couple of weeks about it, if I forget.

scott

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the brace. Hopefully it will be here before the 8th so I can get it installed before I head to the track.

Just installed an adjustable uca with spherical bushing. Going to set pinion at -1.

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the brace. Hopefully it will be here before the 8th so I can get it installed before I head to the track.

Just installed an adjustable uca with spherical bushing. Going to set pinion at -1.

I've got a poly uca, so I went -2.

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
Made the swap to bias ply. Been the the track once since the swap. Track was shit and couldnt manage anything better than 1.7s.

Any tips on shock settings?

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score

I installed the brace yesterday. Posted about it in chit chat. There are pics in my photo album. If you have a bmr sway bar, you'll have to weld a little. The passenger side sway bar bracket gets in the way on that top bolt hole. Other than that, fits well.

I got everything entirely bolted up and tightened and then welded the bmr sway bar bracket to the CHE bracket last.

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a video from behind my best launch. By best I mean least horrible... camera man decided to drop his camera for some reason. Only first few seconds are good.

http://vid220.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/mxrider443/2016-06/IMG_2724_zps5rsrnam7.mp4

Your MPH is solid for sure, but 60' is off, like you've noted.
You are getting no weight transfer, imho. The front end is barely coming up and then it goes right back down. The only way to change this is with a softer rate front spring, unless you have your front shocks set tight right now, but I am guessing you have them pretty loose? That's my observation, but I am no expert on these GT suspensions and am pretty new to these cars, but generally in drag racing, you need more separation on the front end than what you are getting.

Last edited:

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just looked back at your combo, and the whole thread, I would't change pinion angle. This is a front suspension issue, imo, and also try the top hole in your lower relocation brackets. Your front end isn't working at all. It doesn't matter what shock setting you're on if the front springs aren't right. I had the same problem on my stick shift chevelle. I ended up getting a tall spring that had a low spring weight and dumped the front end down pretty low but I had like 6-7 inches of separation on launch. And you have way more power than I did (520hp/540 tq fwhp). I don't now if the front end is the whole problem, but it's clearly a really big issue for the car right now. You are pushing some big numbers for a street car. at 5700 da my chevelle ran like 1.65 60' with an auto; exploded my manual trans with stiff sidewall MT slicks first hard launch I did.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back