2001 Cobra Speedometer recalibration

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
I have been doing some reading and I am confused as to how the speedometer is re calibrated on the 01 Mustangs after a gear change. I changed my stock 3.27 ring/pinion to a 4.10. I know I should just buy a tuner but my wife is convinced I dont have $400. (The gear change cost me $950 more then I anticipated because I replaced all the bushings etc. back there that were wore out while I hade it apart). So I guess I have two questions:

1. Can the dealer hook up their computer and just go in and change it? They quoted me $55 for this but did were not sure if it was a programmable parameter.

2. What does a Speedcal do and why would you use one of these if you can just use a tuner or computer to change the ratio?

Thanks in advance for any light you guys can shed on this.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
As far as I know they still have the gears, it might be an electrical connection but it's off of the tailshaft. Go pull the sender out, it's 1 bolt and an O ring. Then you can shine a light inside and see what color the gear on the output shaft is, and also see what color the gear you have is. Then go to LMR.com and it's $20 for the right gear, unless you need to pop the tailhousing off. I went from 2.73 to 4.1 and was able to use a ghetto gear with too many teeth (not made by ford,) for about 8 years before the teeth started chipping off.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
A dealer can't help since it wasn't a factory option. Honestly I would have done a tune first before a gear change.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The speedcal is a good option if you want to preserve the stock tune. With these cars not being drive by wire and no vct, a tune isn't as noticeable as it is on the newer cars. I would certainly do gears and other bolt-ons before a tune. Heck, even longtubes can make a good amount more power with the stock tune with these cars.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
So, another forum member has and SCT 2 for sale. With one of these I can just go into computer and change ratio or do I need a tune of some sort?
You'd need a tune with the gear ratio changed.

The Xcal2 isn't supported by SCT anymore. I had issues with mine and now it's it's just a pass through for datalogging. I'd go with an X3 at least if you get a tuner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back