Coolant Drain

sailon

Reaction score
I wanted to drain the coolant via the radiator drain and refill with fresh Ford coolant but not much coolant came out at all. I removed the degas bottle cap and opened the drain but only a very small volume of coolant drained.

Do you need to use a vacuum cooling system filler on the coyote engine setup?

sailon

Reaction score
Since the drain is at the bottom of the radiator, same as the lower radiator hose, I would not expect much change. Am I missing something?

They system holds 13 quarts. The service manual does note that you can only drain about 80% of the coolant with the engine in the vehicle. So I was expecting to get 10.4 quarts but I only got 4 quarts out.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Drain is probably stopped up with a bit of debris or something. Water gushed out of this when I had to drop the level for a Vortech install.

sailon

Reaction score
The coolant gushed out as soon as I opened the drain so no blockages there. I suspect I only drained the radiator and the overflow tank since I only got 4 quarts out. I do all my own coolant flushes and have never had an issue getting 80% out until the coyote engine.

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
I mistakenly assumed that the Coyote engine I got for my swap had no coolant in it and I used Motorcraft Gold instead of Orange. This weekend I got around to flushing the coolant out with straight water and drove for a few days. I'm working on getting the water out now, so I drained the rad/degas bottle and got probably 6-7 quarts out, disconnected the t-stat housing and got another 1-2 quarts. I filled the system back up and have been driving it for a few days, tonight I plan on draining the rad and degas again. I don't think you will need to be as thorough as I have been, I'm just being a little overcautious because I don't want mixed coolant in my system.

I think if you do the drain, fill, drive, drain again, refill you will have replaced the majority of the coolant.

740weapon

Reaction score
How high would you recommend jacking up the rear of the car to drain coolant?

1 foot? 2 feet? 3 feet?

Until the nose touches or you become uncomfortable... whichever comes first. Ford says initial fill is 100k and you need to replace coolant every 50k after that. Probably because you just can't get the coolant back out.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back