Need 1 new tire from damage, what to do?

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
So I picked up a screw in the top of the sidewall of my rear tire and most people say, and I agree, that it shouldn't be repaired. I have stock oem tires off a 2007 GT500 on the stock oem wheels. I've done a good bit of searching and I have a few questions to get some confirmation on.

Option 1: I've seen a few used goodyear oem tires on ebay that I can get for $100. I could replace just the one I need and get by for a while yet. The tires have good tread left, my car is a 2005 with 35k miles so that tells you how much it gets driven. The downside is those oem tires kind of suck.

Option 2: Tirerack has the continental DW tires in oem size 285 40 18 on closeout for $140 per tire. I replace the two rear ones and hopefully upgrade in the traction department.

Option 3: Replace all 4 tires? Any issue with just doing the rears if the fronts still have good tread left?

Option 4: Go wider? What I've read is that on these 9.5 inch rims that sticking with 285's is ideal even though others have gone up to a 305 without issues.

Other ideas? Sorry guys for all the questions, who know buying tires was this complicated!

Thanks!

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
FWIW, I was in the same situation as you last fall...took a screw to the sidewall on a tire. Bullitt only had 16K on the ODO so I headed to Discount Tires to weigh the options. Ended up getting all four replaced for a killer deal. Never know until you go in & have it assessed, but I say do all four, or two & two more later.

Bullitt-Tires.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You have a blower and the Goodyears absolutely suck. If you currently had better tires I'd say replace one, but in this case due to the amount of power you have I'd say replace both rears. Get yourself some traction. The Continental Extreme Contact DW is a very good choice, I will be buying the same tires for my car soon.

Also if those tires are the original tires, then they are over 10 years old. Perhaps somebody needs to come stick a knife in all of your sidewalls.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I'd recommend replacing all four. With as little as you drive the car, I'd use tires with lower tread wear ratings, like 200. They will dry rot quicker than you'd wear them out anyway.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Option 2: Tirerack has the continental DW tires in oem size 285 40 18 on closeout for $140 per tire. I replace the all 4 and will have upgraded in the traction department.

As Brian said Continental DW's are a very good tire, currently on my car as well

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
A recent article laid the cause of the Fast And Furious guy's fatal accident to old tires on a seldom-used car. Upshot was, you can't trust tires after about five years.

2007 GT500 tires are OLD, and could kill you. They were not the fastest when new, but reliable. No longer. It would not be the tires' fault if you had an accident.

Get new tires and check your brakes. You'll likely have a better chance to live longer.

My solution in a similar situation was to buy four expensive tires a size smaller than the GT500's for the same size rims (275 as opposed to 285). They'll age out before they wear out, but I'll never doubt they are safe for the first four or five years. On a car that performs like the Mustangs, and is likely to be driven at or near its limits, extra-good tires and brakes are like oxygen: gotta have 'em.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I reading it right you have OEM tires from 2007. Ten year old tires on a car that doesn't get driven much and that has a fair amount of power. Easy answer. Upgrade all four.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Check out the Nitto 555 G2, they come in 275/40/18 and 285/40/18, both sizes would work with your 9.5" wide oem wheels. Keep an eye on ebay, discount tire direct runs some pretty good ebays deals a couple of times per year.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Another vote for the Nitto 555 G2's ... I have them on the front of my car and love them.
If you have 18x9.5 wheels you could easily do 275/40/18 all around, or if you don't care about rotating, go staggered, GT500 OEM sizes are 255/45/18 and 285/40/18, and I think the 555 G2's are available in both those sizes.
If you're contemplating a drag radial for the back for some better traction and don't care about wet traction, go for the Nitto 555R in 305/40/18, they fit fine on 18x9.5 wheels. This pic shows my fiancee's car right after we installed the 305/40 555R's on the back:

2014-05-05_DRs3_zpsb53a65fc.jpg

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Nitto 555 G2's ... I have them on the front of my car and love them.
If you have 18x9.5 wheels you could easily do 275/40/18 all around, or if you don't care about rotating, go staggered, GT500 OEM sizes are 255/45/18 and 285/40/18, and I think the 555 G2's are available in both those sizes.
If you're contemplating a drag radial for the back for some better traction and don't care about wet traction, go for the Nitto 555R in 305/40/18, they fit fine on 18x9.5 wheels. This pic shows my fiancee's car right after we installed the 305/40 555R's on the back:

What were/is she running on the fronts with these rears ?

Thanks

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Go for 4 of the 285 Conti DW. In fact, buy 5 if you can afford it and have space to keep the extra. They are being phased out, and that isn't a popular size. If one of those get damaged you could be hooped finding a replacement. They are excellent street tires, had the same ones on my 07 GT.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
What were/is she running on the fronts with these rears ?

Thanks

She has fairly new factory-spec Goodyears on the front, but this is now just her autocross/spare set-up, and while it's definitely not an ideal autocross set-up, it's OK for her, as she's still learning quite a bit every time she runs.

Most of the time the car has the 20" Alcoas on it.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
All right I just bought four of the continental dw tires, made my wallet sad but I suppose it's time. They were on closeout so the price was right I guess.

Razorback - hard to believe but my car is 13 model years old now!

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
All right I just bought four of the continental dw tires, made my wallet sad but I suppose it's time. They were on closeout so the price was right I guess.

Razorback - hard to believe but my car is 13 model years old now!

I know. This summer I'll have had mine for seven years! I've usually long changed by now.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Smart decision and you might have made a decision that just might prolong your life buddy.

Terry

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back