Can I run a 1/2" wheel spacer without needing new studs?

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Factory wheels or aftermarket? Various wheels can be a different thickness in the mounting pad area which will affect how much stud protrudes. On some wheels the stud holes will be large enough that you can use an "E-T style" lug nut to pick up about 1/4" of thread engagement. The Ford OEM wheels will usually work with these. But even with the extra gained with that type of nut, it could be very minimal thread engagement with that thick a spacer. Might want to stick to 3/8" instead.

135-999974.jpg

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Factory wheels. TBH I don't even know exactly how much of a spacer I actually need. Trying to see if I can make these S550 wheels and S550 brakes work together but I need a spacer since the S550 has a deeper offset on the brake rotor (kicking myself for not thinking of that, too)

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I've used a 1/4 inch spacer on stock studs and wheels and it left very little thread engagement.

No way I would drive around like that.

There needs to be at least 1/2 inch of thread engagement for the Ford 1/2 inch - 20 studs to be safe which is 10 revolutions of the lug nut.

Last edited:

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I got 30mm spacers from a place called Sixity Auto, they have lug nuts and Loctite to hold the spacer to the hub and then offset studs to mount the wheels to. I've run them for a few months now and have had zero problems. A lot of people hate spacers but I can't afford new wheels so they work fine for me, I wouldn't track on them but for a street car they seem just fine.

30mm brought my factory wheels flush to the bodywork, for S550 stuff I'm not sure though. You can see pictures of my car if you look up my posts, I'd link them but I'm on my phone.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've seen the 1" spacers that have studs on them, but I don't know if i want to space the wheels out that far. Plus they're $70 a pair which means to make the car look "even" I'd be in them near the price of rebuilt brembo calipers.

Might have to just sell these calipers and go with brembos after all. Oh well.

On the stock stuff the S550 wheels fit pretty much like my factory 17" bullitts, I guess the backspacing isn't right to clear the big S550 calipers without the offset rotor they use on the newer cars.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I use a 1/4 spacer on the front (skinnies) and those lugnuts with the extra thread. Been good for years. Not sure if 1/2 spacer would leave enough thread.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I bought 1" spacers...fortunately just some ebay ones (so they didn't cost a lot). Test fit them last night and #1, they push the tire and wheel out way too far, and #2, I did some measuring and have at least 3/4" clearance between the Brembo caliper and the closest part of the wheel spoke, so obviously I didn't need a 1" spacer. Sigh.

SO...I'm going to try out some 7mm and 8mm spacers instead (bought some cheapies just for test fitting purposes). The 7mm should work. I may order a set of those "ET" style lug nuts as I had been thinking about ordering new lugs anyway.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Ensure the Extended Thread style lug nuts will work with your wheels before investing in a set. Here are the dimensions for the Gorilla brand ET lug nuts. If they fit the wheel stud hole bore diameter, you'll gain five to six threads of engagement. As others have noted, ensure you have the recommended thread engagement before driving off into the sunset. With 1/2-20 wheel studs, a minimum of 1/2 inch or 10 threads of engagement.

i-8hFsCct.png

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back