Rear suspension install order?

tightwhite08

Reaction score
Doing a suspension overhaul on my 08GT. Finished up my front (struts/lowering springs/sway bar) and now ready to move onto the rear. Front end was basic in relation of what order to do things.

My question for the rear is what order should I install things in order to make it easier for myself?

I will be installing lowering springs, shocks, lca w/ brackets, uca w/ bracket, adj panhard bar, sway bar.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would probably do the uca/bracket first after removing everything and lowering the rear away from the body. Rest is pretty easy to do in any order putting it back together.

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter that much. I would do the shocks and springs at the same time and the LCAs and relocation brackets at the same time. Install the relocation brackets on the axle, bolt the LCA into the bracket, then bolt the forward mounting point of the LCA to the chassis.

Do not disconnect more than one control arm at a time or you'll have a hell of time trying to get the axle back in place.

Use jack stands on the pinch welds and use your jack to raise or lower the axle as necessary. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that have put jack stands under the axle and really screwed themselves over when trying to install rear suspension components.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Also wait for the final torque the relocation brackets to the axle till after the arms are in. I've seen guys tighten up the brackets and wonder why it is so difficult to get the arms in there because you compress the bracket when you torque them and the arm won't fit.

tightwhite08

Reaction score
I would probably do the uca/bracket first after removing everything and lowering the rear away from the body. Rest is pretty easy to do in any order putting it back together.

good idea. I have read the gas tank needs to be loosened/dropped a bit to get that bracket in.

It really doesn't matter that much. I would do the shocks and springs at the same time and the LCAs and relocation brackets at the same time. Install the relocation brackets on the axle, bolt the LCA into the bracket, then bolt the forward mounting point of the LCA to the chassis.

Do not disconnect more than one control arm at a time or you'll have a hell of time trying to get the axle back in place.

Use jack stands on the pinch welds and use your jack to raise or lower the axle as necessary. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that have put jack stands under the axle and really screwed themselves over when trying to install rear suspension components.

thanks. my control arms and panhard bar are bmr :beer:
and not disconnecting both lca at once saves me because I was thinking of uninstalling everything before starting the reinstall. good to know

Also wait for the final torque the relocation brackets to the axle till after the arms are in. I've seen guys tighten up the brackets and wonder why it is so difficult to get the arms in there because you compress the bracket when you torque them and the arm won't fit.

good call. hand tighten everything then go around and torque it all after its all in.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, You just loosen the gas tank back strap bolts on each side and lower it about an inch, its a torx bolt t50 iirc.

I just put a jack under the diff never had an issue lining anything back up, just move the axle to where it needs to be. Have done full rear ends on a few cars this way.

Last edited:

bl817

Reaction score
my $.02 on this. I did each piece as I acquired them, so there really is no right or wrong starting point. if you are doing all at once, save the springs for last. not that they are difficult but with them out, you have more room to work. the hardest cursing point for me was the UCA mount (BMR 11-14) and UCA (11-14). you can use the 11-14 mount AND arm, must use both together on the 05-09 cars. if you do use the 11-14 on the 05-09 then you will need to go to Ford and get a new mount to body bolt,the one under the back seat as the 05-09 bolt is smaller. the torx bit for the gas tank straps is a TP50, you can try to use a regular T50 but be careful not to strip the shoulders of the torx bolt, the TP50 has wider fingers and rounded tips of them. a $10 dollar part from amazon. make sure your gas tank is almost empty as well. assemble your UCA arm and mount if you can prior to install. getting the arm to axle bolt tight once installed is a MFer. if you can remove or lower the pass side over axle exhaust tube that will help with room but not required. some long extensions and universal socket joints will help as well. good luck

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back