Ford factory sway bars..

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
So my '08 CS has the factory sway bars on it right now, I also have the front bar from my old '08 Bullitt. Now I've read a bunch but I can't find a definitive answer if this bar is actually an upgrade from stock?

If it's a stiffer bar I'll take the time to install it, if it's not a noticeable upgrade I won't bother, does anybody know what the deal is?

SVT Rider

Reaction score
The order guide for the '08 Bullitt indicates that the Bullitt Package has an upgraded and tuned Suspension package, including the stabilizer bar:

• Sport Tuned Suspension (shocks/springs/stabilizer bar)
The GT Cal Special spec is only an appearance package, so it would have the stock suspension. Bullitt > CS for suspension tuning.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Why not measure the diameter of both bars?

Or more crudely, set a large adjustable to just fit over one of the bars and check if it just fits/does not fit/fits loosely on the other bar. You'll at least find out if they're the same part number or not.

Norm

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Why not measure the diameter of both bars?

Or more crudely, set a large adjustable to just fit over one of the bars and check if it just fits/does not fit/fits loosely on the other bar. You'll at least find out if they're the same part number or not.

Norm

I thought of doing that but I read conflicting information on if the actual stiffness of the bar changed, some of what I read suggested that despite a larger diameter the actual performance of the bars had negligible differences. I guess at this point I'll just have to throw it in and see..

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
If the shape is the same (I really wouldn't expect there to be much difference in the shapes of the various OE front bars) and the diameters different, the stiffnesses will be different.

Even if the shapes are slightly different - bends being close but not precisely lining up for example - diameter still has the biggest influence on bar stiffness.

Norm

07 Boss

Reaction score
If the shape is the same (I really wouldn't expect there to be much difference in the shapes of the various OE front bars) and the diameters different, the stiffnesses will be different.

Even if the shapes are slightly different - bends being close but not precisely lining up for example - diameter still has the biggest influence on bar stiffness.

Norm

Not necessarily. Many front bars are hollow and the same outside diameter. The thickness of the tubing wall is where you get the difference. If I remember correctly the BMR and stocker were the same diameter but different wall thickness. I think. At least the front were. The rear bar was solid but also thicker.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thickness can be measured fairly closely as half the thickness of the arms where the tubing was flattened.

You can still compare [solid diameter]^4 against [tubular outer diameter]^4 minus [tubular inner diameter]^4.

Or [tubular bar1 outer diameter]^4 minus [tubular bar1 inner diameter]^4
vs [tubular bar2 outer diameter]^4 minus [tubular bar2 inner diameter]^4

Only a little more work, not as bad as writing it out may make it look.

Norm

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back