Groaning sound when turning steering wheel

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
I hear weird groaning noises when I turn the steering wheel when stationary or moving slowly.

Is my steering pump going to die on me?

I checked the steering fluid and it's full.

:helpme:

maz030

Reaction score
Does it only make noise when you can't turn it anymore, like when you get to the furthest the steering wheel can turn too?

gorblimey61

Reaction score
My steering was noisy when the tie rod ends wore out, but having said that it was while the car was moving.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
Does it only make noise when you can't turn it anymore, like when you get to the furthest the steering wheel can turn too?

No, it makes noise as I turn it.

I don't hear it when the car is moving faster than say 10 mph.

My guess is that the steering pump is starting to fail.

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
If you hear the noise when your not turning, it'll be a worn out belt tensioner.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Does it do it with the car off? Turn the key forward and crank on the steering wheel

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Any updates on this? Mine groans when turning hard left into a parking spot. Doesn't do it any other times.

I have 3 year old (about 5K miles) FRPP FCA's that came with balljoints.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Mine started that after my son parked it in a parking lot that flooded. It's seems to do it only in cold weather, and hasn't done it recently.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Mine started that after my son parked it in a parking lot that flooded. It's seems to do it only in cold weather, and hasn't done it recently.

Interesting point as mine hasn't dine it recently since it warmed up.

I should've mentioned that I replaced the struts, springs and strut mounts (FRPP) last spring. So they're new. Everything seems torqued down properly.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Another thing you can do that is often overlooked is to replace the power steering fluid. It will break down and absorb moisture and contaminants over time, just like brake fluid or any other hydraulic fluid.

My power steering on my recently purchased work truck was a bit stiff and noisy at idle. It has hydraulic assisted brakes which also shares the same fluid as the power steering. I drained out as much as I could and refilled with Mercon VI (the recommended fluid for that vehicle). Replaced about 2 quarts of fluid. It was slightly better right away and within a week all noise was gone.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back