Phaser Design Change

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I purchased 2 new 3R2Z-6A257-DA phasers for my engine build. Pulled them out of the box to install the Comp Cams Phaser Limiters and the tooling included with the limiters doesn't fit correctly and the instructions appear to apply to an earlier production phaser design. These new phasers have 2 long screws holding the cover on rather than just 1 and the clock spring goes around one of the longer screws. Take a look at the attached images.

The engineering number lazer etched into the relucter wheel is 3L3E-6C524-KA. Production dates on the boxes are 6/29/09 & 10/16/09.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Attachments

• 102_0222_Small.JPG
    102_0222_Small.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 102_0223_Small.JPG
    102_0223_Small.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_0644_Small.JPG
    100_0644_Small.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 151

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Just FYI - this can be done without the tools supplied by Comp Cams but it is a real PITA - especially working by yourself.

To begin, take a short piece of 3/8" threaded rod, a few flat washers, a couple of nuts and secure the relucter wheel to the phaser to prevent the phaser assembly from falling apart. Then carefully remove the long screw (shown in the pictures in my previous post) which the clock spring wraps around - NOT the screw at the J-bend which holds the clock spring. Put the assembly in a vise with the relucter wheel side down. Take a pair of needle nose vise grip pliers and carefully compress the clock spring by placing one of the jaws of the vise grip pliers on the J-bend of the clock spring the the other jaw on the closest protruding leg of the relucter wheel. Now that the clock spring is secured, remove the remaining 3 bolts which retain the cover on the phaser assembly. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP OR DISLODGE THE CAM PHASER'S PARKING SPRING ASSEMBLY. Once the cover has been removed, install the Comp Cams Phaser Limiter (orientation does not matter) and loosely secure with the 3 short bolts. Next install the long bolt at the J-bend which retains the clock spring. Release the vise grip pliers making sure the J-bend on the clock spring seats correctly on the long bolt just installed. Install the last long bolt making sure the clock spring wraps around (shown in the pictures in my previous post) the outside of the bolt. To complete the installation, torque the 5 bolts to 85 lb. in. and remove the the threaded rod installed in the beginning of the process.

Attachments

• 102_0223_Small.JPG
    102_0223_Small.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Hey bro, how did this work out for you? Are these the newest phaser design and did you have any phaser noise when you were done with the install? I am about to install a set of Comp 127300's and am looking to get a new set of phasers and limit them for the install. Not decided on Comp or Livernois for the limiters yet.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Yes this is the newest design to the best of my knowledge. Spoke to Matt & Jim III at JDM and they were both aware of this change in phaser design.

Engine build is still underway - I haven't reinstalled and cranked it up yet.

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
Wow. This would be I think the 6th revision?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. Hey, what are new phasers going for now? Isn't there a Ford parts guy around here with discounts? I need a bunch of Ford crap.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I can vouch for the different 2-bolt phasor designs in the '09 engines, where 2 bolts are used by the spring instead of just one.
Putting Comp VCT limiters in, the 2 'special tool' clips are essentially useless and will not work. So you do have to come up with a way to hold the spring back while swapping the back plate from the stock flat ones to the limiter plates.
How I held the spring back was kind of tricky, but it worked. Using the 'J' clip tool and vise grips to secure it to the phasor, at a little angle, then wedging a large screwdriver blade between the clip and spring to push it back off the bolt just a little, and tied the screwdriver to the vice grips to hold it in place. PITA, but it worked, holding the phasor in a vise and removing the screws from the back, carefully, so the inner clock spring doesn't fall out.

Bulldog81

Reaction score
I'm stumped. You may have helped me here but my phasers have no j bend on the clock spring. Has anyone else encountered this? It's just a 90 degree bend. Called the Ford dealership and the phaser off the shelf was the same. I've called comp cams and seems as if I'm out of luck. Would livernois limiters be the way to go? Help!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back