Lunati 21270716 Cams for 4.6 3V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I bought these for my N/A motor. Due to recent opportunities I'm selling them. Brand new, never installed. IMO they will work with anything but would be best with a n/a or centri motor.

$650 shipped. The durations fall right between Comp 127500 and 600 but the lift is a little less. This allows for the use of 26113 springs which are very friendly with vct. All of the specs are on the cam card pic.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bump on these. $650 shipped. I really think these will be very good cams for a variety of applications. I'll be selling my car soon otherwise they would go into my motor. The durations, lifts, icl, and lsa are just about exactly what I wanted for my motor.

The cams should work well with a stock stroke or stroker, n/a or forced induction. Lunati put some thought into these cams.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I am ptobably wrong, close to 125300 comp cams?

If you mean the 127300 then no. I've had 127300 cams, they are nice, have a wider lsa than stock and are a breeze to tune. The wider than stock lsa is fantastic for turbo applications. IIRC they have a 116 lsa vs 114.25 for stock cams. This in turn allows for a faster spool time when a turbo is in play.

These are right between a Comp 127500 and 127600 for durations, they have the same lsa and icl, and have a little lower lift. Less lift doesn't hurt the airflow much unless you have a very radically ported head. What less lift does do is allow for max airflow with stock or medium ported heads. It also allows for the use of less stiff valve springs like the the comp 26113. Less stiff valve springs allow for a better, more reliable use of vct. Having a reliable vct means the cams can be retarded at higher rpms. This in turn means more airflow and more power. Basically extending the useable rpm range to higher rpm levels while still keeping a more advanced icl for the lower rpms.

46addict

Reaction score
With the LSA on the narrower end of things, do you think that will hurt on a centri blower setup? You grouped NA & centri together, is that because centris build boost gradually and are under vacuum most of the time?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
With the LSA on the narrower end of things, do you think that will hurt on a centri blower setup? You grouped NA & centri together, is that because centris build boost gradually and are under vacuum most of the time?

IMO centri and N/A motors function pretty much the same when it comes to lobe separation angle. Once the rpms and boost build it's a little different but a 112 lsa is going to work with just about anything on a 4.6 3v mod motor provided the durations will work with the lsa.

112 lsa will shine with a centri or N/A but still work with just about anything. It is the all around lsa for the mod motor imo.

porkipine

forum member
Reaction score
ThankYou, BruceH, I appreciate your time... I am using a vortech, stock pulley, stock heads, compcams 125 springs, 127300 comp cams now. Would you put the cams in this?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
ThankYou, BruceH, I appreciate your time... I am using a vortech, stock pulley, stock heads, compcams 125 springs, 127300 comp cams now. Would you put the cams in this?

They would work well with that combo imo. However, I think it would be too much for a stock block. Also keep in mind that these cams will require a tuner who does more than just plug values in from the sct files. Not meant to be a dig on your tuner, just a heads up that these will require more than a canned tune.

I liked the 127300 cams when I had them.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If anyone has interest in these let me know. If I don't get a buyer I'll be forced to put them into my motor and sell the cams I now have.

I don't want to work on the car anymore, I really want to get it ready to sell. Putting new cams in will start a chain of events I'm not looking forward to right now. Save me and buy these cams, lol.

The cams are a great grind for just about anything but will work best with a centri or n/a. Better durations and lift when compared to Hot Rods but with a 112 lsa (Hot Rods are 110 lsa).

46addict

Reaction score
We want you to stick around so we're going to leave you with the cams to put in the car for more new and exciting build threads. :D

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
How would these cams compare to , say the hot rod cams? I'm running N/A with 3:90 gears and manual. Just out of curiosity sake.

46addict

Reaction score
How would these cams compare to , say the hot rod cams? I'm running N/A with 3:90 gears and manual. Just out of curiosity sake.

The cams are a great grind for just about anything but will work best with a centri or n/a. Better durations and lift when compared to Hot Rods but with a 112 lsa (Hot Rods are 110 lsa).

Adding to what Bruce said, the Hot Rods have a 221/240 duration with a .480 lift. Aftermarket valve springs may be needed with the Lunatis.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Hot Rods are excellent cams for stock motor with stock valve springs.

These cams will require a stiffer valve spring and cam phaser limters. The Hot Rods will probably be your best bet unless you want to add springs (they also allow for more rpm) and install limiters.

The Lunati cams would put you in better position for forced induction or more motor mods in the future.

IMO FRPP really did their homework with the HR cams you mentioned, they are good cams imo.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
well bruce ive got comp 127550's in my cart on brenspeeds website, with a supercharger should I consider these you've got here? I picked the 127550's mainly because i just wanted the baddest ones on the block lol good loop, breath good and them hp gains.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
well bruce ive got comp 127550's in my cart on brenspeeds website, with a supercharger should I consider these you've got here? I picked the 127550's mainly because i just wanted the baddest ones on the block lol good loop, breath good and them hp gains.

IMO you are better off with the 127550 cams. The only drawback is that the stiff valve springs required will probably require locking out the phasers.

Unless of course you are going with a centri. In that case I would take the cams I'm selling over the 127550.

Comp really did their homework with 3v cams but they put more lift in them than can be used by most motors. Airflow vs lift really drops off after around .500 with most mod motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back