What have you done to your house today

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Fixing up the yard is my next project. Got it fertilized and it really did green up the back yard. Front yard needs a little more TLC. Also on a mission to get grass to grow in bare spots. Got some seedlings popping up, but still needs more seed.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
I've been doing a few garage updates.
painted the back wall, trimmed the man door.
Added a laminate floor backsplash to my garage sink (recycling some extra flooring i had)
Also painted the workbench. (it was MDF so, dont want it soaking up water/oil)
And finally installed a peg board. At this point my garage is pretty near done, going to hand up some pics/ posters/ flags etc to decorate.

IMG-20170409-WA0002_zpsoener0l5.jpeg

IMG-20170411-WA0006_zpsci8dqxak.jpeg

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Have had the sprinklers on for a month now and the grass is getting green! However, there are quite a few dead spots. I went out this morning to see what kind of grass I have so I could buy some seed and turns out I have two kinds in my yard! I have a darker one that is growing in the best and I think it is tall fescue. The other one is a lighter green and the closest picture I could find on the internet was Bermuda grass. I like the color and look of the fescue more so I bought a bag of that and spread it around the dead spots. Once that grows in I'll tackle the other grass species and try to get rid of it. I don't know if the previous owner was an idiot or if it blew in from another yard but it will definitely be an uphill battle!

Fescue grows pretty fast. I seeded mine with a bluegrass mix. It's a darker green, but slower growing and nice and soft.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
You guys have any recommendations on how to get rid of a woodchuck?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
A 22LR will do the job just fine...

Or, you could get a steel trap and bait it with carrots/etc and humanely relocate the little guy to someone else's property several miles away from your property. Just make sure you don't have to have a permit to relocate a wild animal in your state/county.

I've had really good luck trapping and relocating raccoons and skunks that have made burrows too close to the house. I've tried squirrels but there are too many of them so, killing them works better.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Settled/sold my townhouse yesterday and we put in an offer on house as well. Competing with 4 offers so let's see how this goes. Already lost out on 2 homes and it blows.

Decided to spend a little more money to stay closer to where we currently live, however this is out of the double penetration zone, I like to call it - where you pay property taxes on city and county.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Wife and I decided on pulling some equity $$ from our home and doing the upgrades we had decided on. First phase began yesterday (quartz kitchen countertops).

They should be back in another day or two to install the quartz counters and our new sink/faucet we chose. Then they'll get started on doing our 3 bathrooms in matching quartz.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Our offer was accepted on the house. We close end of May and sellers are renting back till mid July.

We're very excited!

043ae5467e9f942b0039bafe277104d8.png

Wife and I decided on pulling some equity $$ from our home and doing the upgrades we had decided on. First phase began yesterday (quartz kitchen countertops).

Looks awesome man!

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Congrats Cam!

Nice family starter house!

When is the first one due?

Thanks guys. No kids anytime soon.

Cam, where's the garage?

On the flip side. Wasn't crazy about a real loading garage, but it meshes very well with the large yard and it's oversized and can fit a four post lift easy. I brought my tape measure and measurements the day I looked at it lol.

e061d573e3251ac4e2a03767d87c8c14.png

Have plenty of street parking right in front of the house and then a large driveway as well.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Looks great! I love my rear facing garage. Keeps my business out of sight of nosy neighbors.

Anything is better than a townhouse. I cannot wait to be out of here. If I have one more neighbor say "you washing mine next?" As a joke while cleaning cars... I'll cut someone.

Is that a dent in the right side garage door?

Yeah haha. The house needs some TLC but it's to be expected and some of the fun IMO - making it yours. Also noticed that two of the windows have lost their seal. someone thought 3 colors per room was nifty too so I'll have to fix that.

Tomorrow they are picking up the radon meter, and doing the home and pest inspection. I'll be there the whole time and this guy is really good so if anything is iffy, I'll know.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. No kids anytime soon.

On the flip side. Wasn't crazy about a real loading garage, but it meshes very well with the large yard and it's oversized and can fit a four post lift easy. I brought my tape measure and measurements the day I looked at it lol.

Have plenty of street parking right in front of the house and then a large driveway as well.

Very nice looking, great you can already get the 4 post even better no rooms above it if you ever want to go up with the roof. I think I'd kind of prefer the rear drive, can be out making a mess with yard equipment, cars, etc and still be presentable from front street view

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Very nice looking, great you can already get the 4 post even better no rooms above it if you ever want to go up with the roof. I think I'd kind of prefer the rear drive, can be out making a mess with yard equipment, cars, etc and still be presentable from front street view

Yeah... At first I really did not want a rear loading garage, but the pros outweigh the cons. Lots of room in the driveway and it appears we have a significantly bigger plot that is wide as hell in the front - we can fit probably 6-7 cars on the street that are still technically in front of our house. I was used to battling out for parking spaces in front of our townhome.

Did the home inspection yesterday and there wasn't anything alarming. Just a couple small things that need to be taken care of. The house is nearing 10 years old and everything was pretty normal.

We've already narrowed down what we want to do first too:
-Entire house needs paint... they painted it themselves and it looks like dog shit (ie: painting over outlets, painting over light fixtures, painting over crown molding, etc etc)
-Dress up the living room a bit: recessed lighting, crown molding, built ins, and snake electrical to the wall above the fireplace for our TV.
-Replace the carpet on the stairs with wood.
-Repair some wall damage in the garage and paint it, install high lift garage doors with direct drive garage door motors, epoxy coat the garage floor and install a 4 post lift.
-Install a rear patio... we've never had a patio/deck in our townhome and it was something we really wanted this time around.
-Closet built-ins

Eventually we will be re-staining the floors, repainting the kitchen cabinets and reworking the kitchen island, but that can hold off.

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah... At first I really did not want a rear loading garage, but the pros outweigh the cons. Lots of room in the driveway and it appears we have a significantly bigger plot that is wide as hell in the front - we can fit probably 6-7 cars on the street that are still technically in front of our house. I was used to battling out for parking spaces in front of our townhome.

Did the home inspection yesterday and there wasn't anything alarming. Just a couple small things that need to be taken care of. The house is nearing 10 years old and everything was pretty normal.

We've already narrowed down what we want to do first too:
-Entire house needs paint... they painted it themselves and it looks like dog shit (ie: painting over outlets, painting over light fixtures, painting over crown molding, etc etc)
-Dress up the living room a bit: recessed lighting, crown molding, built ins, and snake electrical to the wall above the fireplace for our TV.
-Replace the carpet on the stairs with wood.
-Repair some wall damage in the garage and paint it, install high lift garage doors with direct drive garage door motors, epoxy coat the garage floor and install a 4 post lift.
-Install a rear patio... we've never had a patio/deck in our townhome and it was something we really wanted this time around.
-Closet built-ins

Eventually we will be re-staining the floors, repainting the kitchen cabinets and reworking the kitchen island, but that can hold off.

You forgot about setting up the nursery.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back