Sky Render's Build Thread

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
never know if it feels better or worse unless you try it.

try stiffen the rear only, try stiffen the fron only, try both.

that test n tune you had would have been an ideal time to do this...

I would suggest changing one thing at a time - Then test.
This will definitely save you Headaches & Time in the future. This can be checked in any larger sized parking lot. Just run some circles or figure 8s. Set your base times & handling characteristics first - Take notes. You might feel that the notes are redundant but you will use them in the future no matter how Shtty you think your notes are.

Gab

Bullitthead
Reaction score
I had an issue with the stock mounting hardware failing. It wouldn't have been that big a deal, but Whiteline refused to send me a replacement part even when I offered to pay for it. So I had to order replacement bolts from McMaster Carr.

Now, other people have had better experience with Whiteline, but that's not the first time they wouldn't support me (nor the first failure I've had with Whiteline), so I'm not their biggest fan.

The replacement bolts I ordered are strong enough to pick up the whole car by, LOL

Interesting - not what I want to hear since I recently started buying their products. The swaybars are next on my list, and now I'm a bit gun shy. :disgust:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I really like BMR's stuff. That's who I'd recommend. They also have the best fitment and installation instructions, too.

EDIT: Except for their rear bar, but I'm not convinced that it isn't my fault. I've had like 4 exhausts on my car at this point; my OTA pipes might be tweaked.

Last edited:

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
You can gain a little distance with the pipes by loosening the mid-pipe coupler and shifting the pipe(s) backward. I'd keep it to within 3/4" of fully seated. While I haven't seen your particular issue, this might give you the clearance you need.

Another option is to heat and dimple the axle back to gain the clearance. As long as you don't need to crush the pipe flat for clearance, it won't affect the exhaust flow or HP.

Gab

Bullitthead
Reaction score
I really like BMR's stuff. That's who I'd recommend. They also have the best fitment and installation instructions, too.

EDIT: Except for their rear bar, but I'm not convinced that it isn't my fault. I've had like 4 exhausts on my car at this point; my OTA pipes might be tweaked.

Thanks for the recommendation, their products seem robust.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMG_20170429_123600.jpg

Radium Surge/De-gas tank installed. I'll have a detailed review soon!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This showed up on the doorstep. It came directly from e-Motion, though, so I don't think there's a tune on it. Guess I'll be reviewing the gauge and data logging features!

IMG_20170507_220643.jpg

DudeStang

Reaction score
Sky Render, at the risk of sounding snarky (I promise I'm trying not to), I thought it was interesting that you shared the article on the watts link myth, which even as a suspension noob, I found interesting, but I see that you have a strut tower brace. I know those parts don't necessarily have similar functions but I've read that strut tower braces (when not welded on) have minimal performance benefits. Curious if you've read or experienced otherwise.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The strut tower brace is mainly for engine dress up. It might make a slight difference on a convertible S197, but it doesn't really do much for a hardtop. This is actually the THIRD strut tower brace I've used (you can see all of them if you go through this whole thread), and I've noticed very little difference (if any) from having them installed. It might make it a bit more solid-feeling at initial turn in, but I can't rule out confirmation bias there.

In other news, this is installed:

IMG_20170508_201217.jpg

This is the HP Tuners version, so I can theoretically get any number of tuners to write me a custom tune file now (if I were to get headers, cams, different manifolds, etc.)

For now, I've just been playing around with data logging and the different gauges. This nGauge is SWEET. You can monitor ANY engine parameter, from coolant temp all the way up through knock counts, global spark advance, and individual cam timing. I have those LEDs at the top set up as a combination tachometer/shift light.

I'm planning on some extensive testing with this; stay tuned.

Last edited:

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
Sky Render, at the risk of sounding snarky (I promise I'm trying not to), I thought it was interesting that you shared the article on the watts link myth, which even as a suspension noob, I found interesting, but I see that you have a strut tower brace. I know those parts don't necessarily have similar functions but I've read that strut tower braces (when not welded on) have minimal performance benefits. Curious if you've read or experienced otherwise.

I took my strut brace off and noticed zero difference, even in autocross.
It won't fit when I put the cobra jet intake on, and I don't intend on purchasing a new one that does.

As far as the watts link "myth" goes,
I didn't go back far enough to see which article it was, but the only one I know of is from Maximum Motorsports, who happen to not sell one and offer a competing panhard bar setup. I'd have to take that article with a grain of salt considering the conflict of interest, on top of the fact that everyone I know who has tried a watts link has noticed a huge improvement in feel (confidence) even (especially) on the street.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I took my strut brace off and noticed zero difference, even in autocross.
It won't fit when I put the cobra jet intake on, and I don't intend on purchasing a new one that does.

As far as the watts link "myth" goes,
I didn't go back far enough to see which article it was, but the only one I know of is from Maximum Motorsports, who happen to not sell one and offer a competing panhard bar setup. I'd have to take that article with a grain of salt considering the conflict of interest, on top of the fact that everyone I know who has tried a watts link has noticed a huge improvement in feel (confidence) even (especially) on the street.

There's a reason they don't sell one--it's unnecessary.

Go watch the video I posted. Watch how much the tires deform. There is NO WAY you can notice a lateral deflection of 2 orders of magnitude less than that.

Like I said about strut tower braces. Confirmation Bias (AKA Placebo effect) is a powerful thing.

Last edited:

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
I have a story idea for your MotoIQ site - back-to-back instrumented testing of panhard vs Watts on a bumpy track.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a story idea for your MotoIQ site - back-to-back instrumented testing of panhard vs Watts on a bumpy track.

I've actually been trying to figure out how to set that up. But I'd have to either find someone with my exact same setup but with a Watts instead of Panhard. Or, I'd have to install the Watts, test, then immediately switch back to Panhard and test. The installation time would be the hardest part, because track temps will change between morning and evening.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I got a a strut tower brace and a watts link. I'm happy with them, might be plecebo but it seems to make a difference. Not huge but a slight improvement none the less.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
If all either of them do is make you more comfortable a speed, the overall difference (car + driver + "road") is real even if the car's mechanical capability is not measurably improved.

Norm

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
strut tower braces (when not welded on) have minimal performance benefits

I believe one of my favorite auto geeks over at Engineering Explained did a YouTube video on the STB. It does a good job of explaining the benefits. IIR, it's the same reasoning the coupe is stiffer than the convertible. Any open top surface is an invitation for chassis flex which leads to unintended suspension geometry changes.

I'm staying out of the Watts debate. To each his own on that one. I have my opinion. Perfect Harmonial Balance. :whistle1:

I know this is veering off topic on a build thread, so I'll shut up now.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My review of the Radium Engineering coolant expansion tank finally went live:

Tested: Radium Coolant Expansion Tank

You know, I'm pretty dang impressed with this thing. I've been watching cylinder head and coolant temps like a hawk since the installation, and I've actually noticed lower (~5 degrees) coolant temperatures and quicker recovery times, as well. Of course, that's a pretty unscientific test, so I didn't publish that info.

IMG_1630%20Edited-X2.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I believe one of my favorite auto geeks over at Engineering Explained did a YouTube video on the STB. It does a good job of explaining the benefits. IIR, it's the same reasoning the coupe is stiffer than the convertible. Any open top surface is an invitation for chassis flex which leads to unintended suspension geometry changes.
There's quite a bit more to it than that.

Norm

Back