April 2014 COTM: Onebadgsx

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

AprilCOTMStreet1.jpg~original

This month (ok its already May, I know....shut up and keep reading) we have Onebadgsx's 2013 deep impact blue 5.0. Seems like a pretty simple car, eh? Looks pretty much stock, right?. Ok so he has some big & littles on there, some M/T drag radials on the back. What if I told you this car puts down 770 hp and has already ran a 9.90 @ 141 in its first shake down passes? I bet he surprises more then a few people on the street. But as we all know, the journey is never simple. Lets take a look at how Onebadgsx got here.

AprilCOTMtrack1.jpg~original

So with only 200 miles on the odometer of his 2013 GT, he decided to throw on a Paxton 2200 with a 3.6 pulley, a Fore return fuel system, twin 465 pumps, and a Circle D 3c converter. With that combo, the car ran a 10.37 first time out, and eventually ran a 9.95 @ 139 mph.......on a stock motor.

But the good times didn't last forever. The oil pump failed, and took the motor with it. So it was rebuild time. Onebadgsx's goal this time around was to run low 9s/high 8s, AND break 200mph at a Texas Mile event. That will take some serious horsepower, so he knew the Coyote's achilles heel needed to be dealt with.

AprilCOTMenginemod.jpg~original

With the Coyote block mod in place, he had the short block built at Westside Performance and Machine in Houston. Parts include Ross 10:1 pistons, Manley H beam rods with arp rod bolts, boss crank, Moroso 10 qt pan, etc. You can find out more about his engine build here:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107433

AprilCOTMenginebuild.jpg~original

Westside Performance and Machine also installed the Boss valve springs and the Boss 302r exhaust cams. Onebadgsx also added Stainless Works long tubes and X-pipe from Beefcake, an ATI over drive 10 rib damper, and a new oil pump with TSS billet oil pump gears. Once he got all of the parts, he put the short block, heads, and his blower set up together all in his garage.

AprilCOTMEnginepics.jpg~original

Onebadgsx also had some engine dress up parts hydrodipped. SKULLZZZZ.

AprilCOTMDynoSheet.jpg~original

So, the result of this work? At 14 psi this new motor made 770 rwhp and 624 ft-lbs of torque! Thats 155 rwhp more than the old combo that was good for 9.95 @ 139, so safe to say this car has low 9 potential. First time out, with a converter that was way too tight, he ran a 9.90 @ 141 mph. He is pulling the converter out to get it loosened, but that mph is good for 9.40s with the same 14psi of boost.

AprilCOTMtimeslipstotal.jpg~original

Race much? Lol, his timeslips from one event. But hey, its a street car, why not?

AprilCOTMTrack2-2.jpg~original

^^^Need more burnout......

So whats next? More boost of course, and a run at the Texas Mile. I would say his goals of a low 9 second ride / 200 mph Texas Mile car will certainly be in reach soon.

AprilCOTMStreet2.jpg~original

The view most others on the street will see. Pretty stock looking other then the bigs and littles with M/T drag radials.

From the entire S197 team, congrats on being selected for the April 2014 car of the month!

Last edited:

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats, Onebadgsx!

Such a bad ass car, and a great guy as well.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats dude!! If you don't mind me asking who put the reinforcements in the block, was it Westside Performance? Also, have you noticed any overheating or extra heating with the extra material in the water jackets on the valley side?

Good luck on hitting your goals!

onebadgsx

Reaction score
Congrats dude!! If you don't mind me asking who put the reinforcements in the block, was it Westside Performance? Also, have you noticed any overheating or extra heating with the extra material in the water jackets on the valley side?

Good luck on hitting your goals!

Yes westside did the mod. No cooling issues at all. The head gasket only has little pin holes at those areas. Also the 2v3v blocks had those areas reinforced from the factory

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
congrats and good luck at the mile

can u elaborate on how Westside does the reinforcement?

onebadgsx

Reaction score
congrats and good luck at the mile

can u elaborate on how Westside does the reinforcement?

They are just welding in some aluminum in the top water jacket. Similiar to the other mods out. Instead of expoxy and set screws, this is permanently attached.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They are just welding in some aluminum in the top water jacket. Similiar to the other mods out. Instead of expoxy and set screws, this is permanently attached.

gotcha, thanks!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What boost level do you think you will end up at? 770 rwhp at only 14 psi sounds like you have some room to go. When you going back to the track?

onebadgsx

Reaction score
What boost level do you think you will end up at? 770 rwhp at only 14 psi sounds like you have some room to go. When you going back to the track?

Running this weekend same setup, then yanking trans to get convertor loosened up.

Im upgrading to an 8 rib kit at the same time. Going to 17 psi, amd installing cams. I think i should be close to 900 and running low 9's

Sarge1400

forum member
Reaction score
Good god man, that thing is crazy. i love how powerful it is, yet so subtle in appearance. Well done!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back