Wheel/rim size help

J.R.

Reaction score
I have a 2013 GT NON-Brembo, I am trying to get a second set of wheels for the winter. I would like to run Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's however the sizes that are available are VERY limited.
I currently have the 19" factory rim option.

My question is, would I be able to run a smaller rim such as a 17"? I am only worried about brake clearance. Would I be able to fit 16's in the front?

I have looked all over, and could not find the answer.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
1) you have not posted a proper introduction.

2) there are rim/tire size calculators linked in the forum on multiple places. I would measure the total diameter to include clearing the calipers, compare to the barrel size of the wheels you're interested in and the. Refer to an offset calculator. Of course this will still be affected by the design of the rim itself as far as wheel design clearing but that should get you on the right track. Maybe see if someone running bigs and littles (17" on the front) can shed some light? You'll be hard pressed to find someone running 17s. I'd go for a wide 18" if I was concerned about finding tires for max grip. Just me.

3) welcome.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
For winter tires you don't want wider rubber. I live in Florida and even I know that. Narrower tires will cut through the ice and slush better, wider tires will float on top.

IMO yes, you should be able to find some 17" or 18" factory Mustang wheels for cheap. I have factory 19" wheels and I measured almost 1.5" clearance to the caliper, so in theory 17" wheels of similar design would fit but 16" wheels would not.

J.R.

Reaction score
1) you have not posted a proper introduction.

2) there are rim/tire size calculators linked in the forum on multiple places. I would measure the total diameter to include clearing the calipers, compare to the barrel size of the wheels you're interested in and the. Refer to an offset calculator. Of course this will still be affected by the design of the rim itself as far as wheel design clearing but that should get you on the right track. Maybe see if someone running bigs and littles (17" on the front) can shed some light? You'll be hard pressed to find someone running 17s. I'd go for a wide 18" if I was concerned about finding tires for max grip. Just me.

3) welcome.

Yeah I was going to post an Introduction, there are so many Mustang forums I am subscribed to, and I am at work, so I have very little time to pop in and out of windows for posts.

I am trying to keep the wheels as skinny as possible. I live in NJ and we get more Ice/Compacted Snow/ and Slush vs other areas of the country that seem to get more powder/ less compacted, and far less ice. I had wider snow tires on my 335xi and with the type of weird conditions we have had lately (quick warm front, followed by a ridiculous cold snap that turns everything to ice overnight) I want to be on the safe side by running Studded ,large sidewall, skinny tires to get the grip I need going up hills and stopping going down them. Even with the AWD system I had on the bimmer, mixed with dedicated non studded snow/ice tires (x-ice's) it was still scary as hell sometimes not being able to come close to stopping/ and losing control in the hilly areas where I live.

The problem is finding those Nokian Studded tires in the right size. My buddy has them on his Charger SRT and swears by them. But he is running 18's with RFT SUV tires, definitely oversized, and it looks funny, but I have been in the car with him driving up a 45% incline with ZERO problems in a blizzard.

The Nokians I found with the size calculators seem to be only 5mm taller than the factories I have now. only problem is they are for 17 inch rims (235/60/17). I have 19's (245/45/19's) on there now

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Most 17" are not going to clear the 2011-2014 base GT brakes, the rotors are roughly 12.5" diameter. As suggested, look for some takeoff 05-14 18" OEM wheels, and if nothing turns up, Tire Rack or Discount Tire would have options for inexpensive 18x8 or 18x8.5" alloys. Then go with 235/50R18 rubber (the OEM 18" Mustang size) and you're good to go.

cheers
Ed

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Should be someone in your area with some take off oem 18x8 that would work I have a set but shippings high on four rims with tires

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm reaurrecting the newest thread I found on this topic. I run 17x9's up front and 18x10's in the rear. I like the staggered setup.

Any good caliper upgrade options running with 17's up front?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back