Convert Kooks catted x pipe to catless

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
At the advice of my tuner he recommended swapping my cooks catted x pipe for cattless due to a higher probability of blowing them out under boost. Can I just purchase the two pipes going to the xpipe from the long tubes which would replace cats or do I need to also purchase the whole xpipe combo again?

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I did this a while back, unfortunately kooks does not sell them individuallly. I had to buy a whole new x-pipe. If you know a local exhaust shop that will remove cats you can try that but if not I would look for a used offroad x pipe. Sorry hope this helps

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I did this a while back, unfortunately kooks does not sell them individuallly. I had to buy a whole new x-pipe. If you know a local exhaust shop that will remove cats you can try that but if not I would look for a used offroad x pipe. Sorry hope this helps

Brenspeed was able to hook me up. They worked with kooks to just get me the connecting pipes for $250. Now i will be able to swap out for inspections

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
Thats awesome, fyi if they don't do visual inspection all you have to do is leave the rear oxygen sensors turned on. I've had no cats for 3 years and have no problems passing as long as they don't do a visual or a sniff test. Maybe it can save you some time.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Thats awesome, fyi if they don't do visual inspection all you have to do is leave the rear oxygen sensors turned on. I've had no cats for 3 years and have no problems passing as long as they don't do a visual or a sniff test. Maybe it can save you some time.

I am a bruins fan but i am in rhode island where the computers they are using to inspect our cars will fail you for just about anything.

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much louder deleating the high flow cats will make it. Mine is loud enough.

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I have kooks long tubes with off road x pipe, and borla stingers. Also have hot rod cams and a whipple and it's very loud at idle but there is no drone on the highway at all, I love it but it's not for everyone. You can always do catless with some dynomax bullet resonators, I used to have that setup and it cleaned up any rasp, and didn't sound loud at all. I try and post a video of my current setup if you like later today

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
There are plenty of 500-700HP HP cars straight from the factory making reliable power running around with catalytic converters, no issues. Are the Kook's cats that big of a restriction that you are afraid that you are going to blow them out? I believe it's our social responsibility to enjoy hot rodding while respecting the environment.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
OEM cats last under boost, Kooks cats do not unless you have kooks green, which cost about $9,000.00 each.

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I went through 2 sets of kooks cats before I went catless. Kooks makes some of the best stuff but if you keep the cats get magnaflow high flows or stay OEM.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I believe it's our social responsibility to enjoy hot rodding while respecting the environment.

Huh? Not sure how you go about doing this. I mean where do you draw the line. So if I put Cats back on my car, this makes me respectful of the environment and a responsible hot rodder?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
You guys are killing me!!!!! I just got thru putting KOOKS long tubes and high flow cats on mine. I was under the impression that the KOOKS high flows would take the boost.

OK then, let me ask this---If I have to take the cats off and go with a cat-less pipe will I have to change the tune???? If the cat material starts to break up or fail can I just beat/remove it out and still use the pipe?

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think you would have to change the tune but when I was young and stupid I hollowed out my cats and lost all my torque. Someone said something about the increase in diameter in the hollow cat was the reason. So if you decide to go off road just buy the offroad pipe or have someone weld in straight pipe

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I don't think you would have to change the tune but when I was young and stupid I hollowed out my cats and lost all my torque. Someone said something about the increase in diameter in the hollow cat was the reason. So if you decide to go off road just buy the offroad pipe or have someone weld in straight pipe

You actually don't "lose" the torque. It just moves in the power band to a higher RPM. And the hollow cats echo and drone and sound terrible.

doctorpimp

forum member
Reaction score
What about ARH cats?
Not trying to hijack, but I thought the same about ARH - that they would live under boost...?

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I've never used them, maybe someone else can give you better insight

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back