Lithium Ion batteries? For Track or DD.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Are any of you guys using lithium ion batteries to save weight?

What is your thoughts on using them for the track and/or DD?

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Dave, I don't think those batteries are Lithium Ion batteries. I believe those are just small AGM batteries (SLA). That being said you can use them and you can save right around 15-20 lbs. They will work pretty good unless you live in a cold climate.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that could be, admittedly, I did not re-read the threads, I just recalled they were out there.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
One of my business partners has started selling them. He is really big into the angler fishing scene and sells them to tournament fishers for there boats. They like them because that charge super fast last a long time and save a lot of weight. That is what got me thinking if they would have any use in our world. I could see the guys that drag or road race using them for the weight.

I think he said they are just over 15lbs.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
If it's a 15lb Lithium Ion battery it's probably pretty stout. A lithium ion battery equivalent to the batteries in those links Dave posted are probably only around 5 lbs. A 15lb lithium ion battery should have more cranking amps then the factory big battery. A 15lb lithium ion battery would be around 1000+ dollars. Are you sure he's talking about lithium ion and not an AGM battery?

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
If it's a 15lb Lithium Ion battery it's probably pretty stout. A lithium ion battery equivalent to the batteries in those links Dave posted are probably only around 5 lbs. A 15lb lithium ion battery should have more cranking amps then the factory big battery. A 15lb lithium ion battery would be around 1000+ dollars. Are you sure he's talking about lithium ion and not an AGM battery?

Yes they are for sure Lithium Ion and I can get them at almost half that price. Let me find some info on them and I'll post it up.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is the battery he is selling to the anglers.

k2-energy-extreme-angler-lithium-ion-phosphate-battery-k2b12vg27-2-12-volt-2.jpg

General Features:

12V Rechargeable Marine K2 Lithium Ion Trolling battery
Can be used in up to 4 (48V) in series configuration
48 amp/hr
LED Power level display
on/off switch
Unique Auto Shut Down to help avoid incorrect hook up sparking
Size Group 27

But from what I understand we can get any of there batteries.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I've been considering making an adapter plug to run my Matco jump pack as a battery. It weighs maybe a pound and will start the car no problem. Just have to bypass the little black box that sense polarity and connection quality. You could make sure it's only used for cranking and wire it so that the DC adapter charges it from the alternator, or charge it between runs in the pits.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Well you don't really want the alt running without a battery. Battery is supposed to help smooth the output of alt iirc

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Get rid of the parasitic loss of the alternator, only run on the battery. Put a generator in the trunk and hook it up to a battery charger cart and run the wires to the battery up front. Boom, free horsepower.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Before going to a Lithium battery, make sure you check it's maximum charge amperage. Most of the ones I'm aware of aren't rated for a normal passenger car alternator output. We use a LiFePo in our airplane and it's 4.7 lb vs the 19lb of the AGM that was in it. But the airplane also only has a 70 amp alternator.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Well you don't really want the alt running without a battery. Battery is supposed to help smooth the output of alt iirc

Right. I think the only gain would be the weight savings while also getting a battery that should last a very long time. I'm not implying to get rid of the alt.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I've been considering making an adapter plug to run my Matco jump pack as a battery. It weighs maybe a pound and will start the car no problem. Just have to bypass the little black box that sense polarity and connection quality. You could make sure it's only used for cranking and wire it so that the DC adapter charges it from the alternator, or charge it between runs in the pits.

i meant this post, talking about only used for cranking

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Before going to a Lithium battery, make sure you check it's maximum charge amperage. Most of the ones I'm aware of aren't rated for a normal passenger car alternator output. We use a LiFePo in our airplane and it's 4.7 lb vs the 19lb of the AGM that was in it. But the airplane also only has a 70 amp alternator.

If the battery is charged it should draw many amps.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
i meant this post, talking about only used for cranking

You misunderstood what I said, I was saying not to let the alt. charge it, that doesn't mean the alt isn't wired in like normal, it just means you isolate the jump pack when the vehicle is running so it isn't being charged directly from the alternator but instead from the included DC/DC adapter

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back