bleeding the clutch system

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock clutch, 8 bolt cobra flywheel "cant remember the brand right now", tr3650 trans. The car is jack up off the ground and if i turn on the car and put it in 1st gear the back wheel will spin even if i hold the clutch pedal in or i let it go. Now i was told that if i put the car on 1st gear while the car is off and i try to spin the wheel by hand it shouldnt move at all, but it does. So i replace the tob and the clutch master cylinder and still does it...
Im lossing my head not being able to enjoy driving my car down the street

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Hmmm. That may be the issue right there depth may be off. I assuming you have a built motor then since you said 8 bolt cobra flywheel. Pre 05 flywheel will fit but is different than a stock 05+ flywheel due to slight difference in oem clutch design. A 96-04 flywheel is fine for use with an aftermarket clutch and is prefered as you get better engagement area over trying to a stock 05 flywheel with a different clutch. But pretty sure you have a depth issue with a stock 05+ clutch on that flywheel so yhe slave doesnt have enough travel to disengage the clutch completely when fully depressed.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Even if i got my foot on or off the clutch pedal while the car is on gear, the back wheel will spin freely... i believe that if i got my foot on the clutch the back wheel shouldnt spin at all until i let go of the pedal. When the car was on the ground i couldnt put it in gear at all, who ever made this clutch system designed is an idiot lol

So the clutch does not engage the flywheel at all with the pedal in or out? I wonder why it wont go into gear though. Are you sure it is not going into gear. Just because the back tire doesn't move or moves doesn't mean it's not in gear if the clutch can not grab. I'm a little confused as to what the symptoms are. If the clutch does not engage the flywheel you ought to be able to shift into any gear. If the clutch does not engage the flywheel correctly, it is not a bleeding problem. The clutch should be engaged when the pedal is up even if there is no fluid in the system. If there is air in the lines it won't properly disengage when you push the pedal in. So I think that air in the system is not your issue.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hmmm. That may be the issue right there depth may be off. I assuming you have a built motor then since you said 8 bolt cobra flywheel. Pre 05 flywheel will fit but is different than a stock 05+ flywheel due to slight difference in oem clutch design. A 96-04 flywheel is fine for use with an aftermarket clutch and is prefered as you get better engagement area over trying to a stock 05 flywheel with a different clutch. But pretty sure you have a depth issue with a stock 05+ clutch on that flywheel so yhe slave doesnt have enough travel to disengage the clutch completely when fully depressed.

I think his situation is opposite of what you are thinking. From what I gathered his clutch does not engage the flywheel properly. I don't think it is the disengagement part he is having an issue with. But you are barking up the right tree in that it may not be the right combo of clutch and flywheel. If the flywheel is too far from the clutch plate/s it may not be allowing the clutch to reach the flywheel.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
So the clutch does not engage the flywheel at all with the pedal in or out? I wonder why it wont go into gear though. Are you sure it is not going into gear. Just because the back tire doesn't move or moves doesn't mean it's not in gear if the clutch can not grab. I'm a little confused as to what the symptoms are. If the clutch does not engage the flywheel you ought to be able to shift into any gear. If the clutch does not engage the flywheel correctly, it is not a bleeding problem. The clutch should be engaged when the pedal is up even if there is no fluid in the system. If there is air in the lines it won't properly disengage when you push the pedal in. So I think that air in the system is not your issue.
Ok if the car is of the ground and i put the car in 1st gear, the rear wheel will spin even im pushing on the clutch pedal and even if i let go of the clutch.
Car on the ground and i try to put the car in 1st gear while on, it wont go in cuz it will try to move forward even if im pressing on the clutch pedal.. thats my problem. Before i even go and buy an aftermarket clutch kit i really want to make sure is not something else. never thought something small like this will keep me from enjoying driving car

07 Boss

Reaction score
Ok if the car is of the ground and i put the car in 1st gear, the rear wheel will spin even im pushing on the clutch pedal and even if i let go of the clutch.
Car on the ground and i try to put the car in 1st gear while on, it wont go in cuz it will try to move forward even if im pressing on the clutch pedal.. thats my problem. Before i even go and buy an aftermarket clutch kit i really want to make sure is not something else. never thought something small like this will keep me from enjoying driving car

So when the car is off the ground the clutch won't engage, and when the car is on the ground it won't disengage? I'm confused. Lift the car, put it in first and then try and crank the car over.

Have you had anyone under the car to actually see the clutch in action?

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
So when the car is off the ground the clutch won't engage, and when the car is on the ground it won't disengage? I'm confused. Lift the car, put it in first and then try and crank the car over.

Have you had anyone under the car to actually see the clutch in action?
Is there anyway i can put a video here?... maybe by showing you guys a video might clear thing out better. Somehow it seen that im confusing you guys

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
No it sounds like it stays engaged. Causing wheels to turn with pedal pushed in on stands. And preventing shifting into gear on the ground because it's still trying to turn input shafts while shifting

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway i can put a video here?... maybe by showing you guys a video might clear thing out better. Somehow it seen that im confusing you guys

youtube or other hosting site only.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
No it sounds like it stays engaged. Causing wheels to turn with pedal pushed in on stands. And preventing shifting into gear on the ground because it's still trying to turn input shafts while shifting
Yes... thats the problem, i was looking into the mach 400 stage 2 clutch kit to see if that will fix the problem and the AM mustang saler was so confused on why im using an 8 bolt cobra sr flywheel on my stroker . And i was like "well cuz they dont make 8 bolt flywheel for my year"...

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
If you have an 8 bolt flywheel I thought you needed a friction plate specific to that.

07 Boss

Reaction score

So when it is in the air and he puts it in first, the tires spin because they are connected to the motor. I thought the wheels were spinning freely, independent of the motor, that's where I got confused.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
If you have an 8 bolt flywheel I thought you needed a friction plate specific to that.
I dont think so... well thats what i was told, since i have an 8 bolt crankshaft i need it an 8 bolt flywheel from a cobra and i can use a clutch kit of my year mustang with it.

08VaporGT01

Reaction score
I literally have this exact problem. I have 08 GT I was driving the pedal felt funny and it didn't want to go in gear. The clutch wouldn't disengage. I figured slave because I also had a tapping noise with the clutch it wasn't in gear and the clutch pedal @top. I replaced the slave and used proper bleeding techniques. I got good pedal feel but wouldn't go in gear while car was running. So I replaced the clutch master. Same result. I believe it is the pressure plate not disengaging properly. I'm getting ready to change both clutch and pressure plate with in the week.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
I literally have this exact problem. I have 08 GT I was driving the pedal felt funny and it didn't want to go in gear. The clutch wouldn't disengage. I figured slave because I also had a tapping noise with the clutch it wasn't in gear and the clutch pedal @top. I replaced the slave and used proper bleeding techniques. I got good pedal feel but wouldn't go in gear while car was running. So I replaced the clutch master. Same result. I believe it is the pressure plate not disengaging properly. I'm getting ready to change both clutch and pressure plate with in the week.
Im going to be replacing the oem clutch kit with the mach 400 stage 2, also im going to check for clearance since i have a cobra flywheel. I got someone who could make me a bracket to move the tob a little bit forward so it can press the pressure plate teeth better

08VaporGT01

Reaction score
Good luck. I've thought about shimming the tob.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

08VaporGT01

Reaction score
Thanks and good luck to you too.

It begins. I'm hoping to drive it today.
8a16a215243bce500ba1653e6354065a.jpg
b7cb910f0134b918415e46c81ba26123.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
Well... i wasnt told that lol. But the guy i spoke with told me he went with RAM flywheel and clutch just to be on the safe zone with the clearance lol

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
He probably flipped out, burned it to the ground, and is now in jail for insurance fraud.

I have been close to that point more times than I can count.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back