Valve spring upgrade

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Thats gonna be so sweet. I know what you mean about not leaving it alone haha I just finished installing my turbo and before I even got it tuned i decided to go ahead and get some cams ground for it... Even though i could make the 500 I want without them. What block did you go with? Keeping it a 3 valve?

Yes it's still going to be a 3V, heads are from an 05, block is stock aluminum... Kellogg crank stroked 302, cp blower pistons and Manley 4340 rods...

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
yea just pull the cover and pop the chains, that way you dont have to re-install the cams 4 times each, just seemed like more trouble than its worth when you can pull cover

He is gonna have to pull them at least twice if he is degreeing the cams in ... has to remove the solid lash adjusters,

46addict

Reaction score
The plan is to start out as a weekend warrior racing maybe a couple times a month but it will be for street use 85% of the time. Any suggestions from anyone on a tuner around south central Indiana? Willing to drive a few hours to make sure its done right.

Brenspeed is in Indiana but not everyone likes them. Mike Post is west of Chicago if you want to make the drive. Remote tuning opens up a lot of doors too if you're comfortable with that.

I've seen people use rope to push through the sparkplug hole and fill the cylinder to prevent valve drop

So insert rope, and push piston up?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah. Just insert a good amount. Leaving plenty out to grab. And lightly rotate to compress against the valves.

Will want a rope that's soft enough to coil inside, and won't shed any material off inside the cylinder.

2003cobra22

forum member
Reaction score
While doing my cams and valve springs i also used the Eurosport compressor tool worked great, I decide to pull the front cover and replace the chains, tensioners, guides, phasers, and a new oil pump since your in there new parts piece of mind. When you re install the keepers I found a dab of grease on the end of a flat blade screwdriver works best to hold the keeper onto the tip and they slide right onto the ribs on the valve stem.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
They seem to be used in different circumstances. Freedom racing is good for pulling followers out during cam swaps etc. And probably good for spring changes, maybe a little crowded. This one is good for when the cam is already out. Or when you change cams without pulling followers. Both methods are viable

wdavid531

Reaction score
Is this tool better than the freedom racing tool?

The issue I ran into with my freedom racing tool is getting the top threaded onto the compressor with the new springs. The threads aren't long enough and you have to compress the spring by hand and get it started. I agree with Wes06. Good for pulling followers but beyond that it's not ideal. I left all the followers in and just pulled the cam caps from the middle out a few turns at a time to relive the spring tension. Then you only need the Euroexport compressor. It's 35 dollars cheaper too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
They seem to be used in different circumstances. Freedom racing is good for pulling followers out during cam swaps etc. And probably good for spring changes, maybe a little crowded. This one is good for when the cam is already out. Or when you change cams without pulling followers. Both methods are viable

I'm wondering what cams you installed without pulling the followers. I'm running 127550 cams now but will be swapping for the 127350 cams if I cant get my car to smog. Correct me if I'm wrong but not pulling the followers with NSR cams would be ok but not if they're VSR cams?

wdavid531

Reaction score
Update: New cams/springs are in and everything is back together. Thanks again for the advice guys! Car sounds great and I can't wait to get it tuned and drive it again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back