M90 t body upgrade?

Insaneba

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their M90 car throttle body to the GT500 version? Or is there a better economical offering? I know an M90 isint the most efficient charger out there, but I have it, and want to wake it up a bit more. Thanks in advance for any input...

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
When I was talking with jdm when I bought the stage 4 upgrade for the m90 this was his answer. On the throttle body it was like 500 bucks and was only worth about 10-15hp. In there opinion it wasn't worth the cost per hp gain.

Insaneba

Reaction score
A used GT500 unit can be had for around $100ish, and an adapter plate can be gotten pretty cheap now too. Just wondered if anyone else had done it. It's not so much trying to pick up 10-15, but the overall package, and running better. I'm going to do pulleys, and a few other things, and a re-tune come spring. Wanting to start gathering parts now, to get a jump on it.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its already outside efficiency and making heat above 4psi although you can squeeze more out of it, its kinda diminishing returns for your investment. My opinion is you can spend $$$ and throw every bolt-on at the m90 possible. Smallest pulley, longtubes off road mid pipe, intake, tb, ported cover, e85,meth, intercooler and heat exchanger upgrades and so on. It still wont make the power of a proper sized blower for the 3v in otherwise stock trim. The m122 gt500 upgrade would be a much better value and platform from the get go.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I was really happy with my 2.49 pulley M90 and only a basic front mount heat exchanger upgrade. Stock exhaust.

If it's nearly free to do the TB, I'd give it a shot.

46addict

Reaction score
It's not so much trying to pick up 10-15, but the overall package, and running better. I'm going to do pulleys, and a few other things, and a re-tune come spring. Wanting to start gathering parts now, to get a jump on it.
To improve the whole package I think you'll be happier with the VMP 1.9 upgrade. The wording in this makes it sound like it's compatible with the manifold you have now so it makes even more sense. http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-1-9L-TVS-upgrade-kit-for-05-10-Roush-Stage-3-p/19tvsm90.htm

I'm not sure if a GT500 blower will bolt up to your existing setup, but it's definitely the cheaper option.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
To improve the whole package I think you'll be happier with the VMP 1.9 upgrade. The wording in this makes it sound like it's compatible with the manifold you have now so it makes even more sense. http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-1-9L-TVS-upgrade-kit-for-05-10-Roush-Stage-3-p/19tvsm90.htm

I'm not sure if a GT500 blower will bolt up to your existing setup, but it's definitely the cheaper option.

This is the route I went. After talking with other people it seems to be the best option when you already own the m90 kit. If I hadn't I would have probably done the tvs 2300 or don setup for sure.
Yes the vmp 1.9 upgrade can be bought with the proper elbow for the bigger throttle bodies.

Insaneba

Reaction score
This car is my dd, stock 3v, and will be until something forces me to do something else. If I'm not mistaken, an M90 can push the limits of a stock 3v if properly tweaked? I have a fox for the big hp, I just want to play with this a little, and still have a dd. Thats why I'm entertaining keeping the m90 for a while longer. Plus, I just got the car, kind of hard to blow a few g's right now on a whole new blower. Pieces and parts are easy to buy over the summer/winter, and re-tune in the spring. Sucks being poor lol. But plans of a bigger/stronger displacement and charger are in the future.

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This car is my dd, stock 3v, and will be until something forces me to do something else. If I'm not mistaken, an M90 can push the limits of a stock 3v if properly tweaked? I have a fox for the big hp, I just want to play with this a little, and still have a dd. Thats why I'm entertaining keeping the m90 for a while longer. Plus, I just got the car, kind of hard to blow a few g's right now on a whole new blower. Pieces and parts are easy to buy over the summer/winter, and re-tune in the spring. Sucks being poor lol. But plans of a bigger/stronger displacement and charger are in the future.

From the videos I have heard with guys running the M90 it sounds totally Awesome !!!

So if I was not wanting to just spend and spend and spend I would run what you have.

Terry

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
My M90 maxed out at about 435. I'd recommend the FRPP throttle body because it will bolt right up without the crappy adapter required with the GT500 TB. And your stock exhaust will flow plenty as long as you delete the cats. No need for aftermarket exhaust until you're pushing 500hp.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Just leave it alone then and enjoy it. Don't nickel and dime yourself to death with bolt-ons which end up adding up to cost more for the power. Its a very safe setup as it comes.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well, if the Tbody is near free... people are always selling used heat exchangers for cheap, snipe a pair of hot rod cams one day, headers are getting cheaper and cheaper for the S197's, etc, etc...

Insaneba

Reaction score
Well, if the Tbody is near free... people are always selling used heat exchangers for cheap, snipe a pair of hot rod cams one day, headers are getting cheaper and cheaper for the S197's, etc, etc...

Parts are getting cheaper and cheaper. Plus, the way I'm seeing it, everything I do now, can be used on the upgraded charger when I get it. Then, hold on Ethel lol. I'm going to throw bolt on's at it for now, and maybe cams next year. Until things slow down, no new charger for me. But at the prices I can get some of this stuff, it's worth it to see what happens. Thanks for the input guys, I'm shopping for deals as I speak lol.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
You would have to get the car tuned for any new TB, which in itself makes it not worth the minimal gains. The M90 isn't moving enough air to cause the stock twin 55mm to be a restriction. If you're going for that max effort M90 build then yes, you'll gain a few ponies throughout. But as an upgrade in comparison to cost and tuning, not worth doing IMO. Had a friend with a 427R trying to squeeze everything he could out of his M90, even tried a meth kit. Because he wasn't pushing enough boost, he actually made less power on meth than without. Of course, the tuner could have removed fuel, and let the car live on meth alone, may have seen gains that way, but not many tuners will do it. Good chance the car might not make it off the rollers just dialing it in on meth alone.

If you want bang for your buck, go E85. If you want more bang for your buck, go E85 and spray with a stand alone fuel system. Alternatively you could do spray + 100oct stand alone. This is what we did with the 427R in the end. He runs a 75 shot with e85 and e85 in the tank. I think he dynoed around 500/525, which is brutal for the stock motor. He has a set of rods/pistons on standby lol. He's extremely happy with the setup, the small shot lasts a long time. He recently did a piggyback system with nitrogen so he doesnt need to heat the nitrous bottle anymore and his spray pressure is available all the time and consistent through the entire bottle. It's a violent ride too. He's crapped on cars that should easily out class him, but that massive torque curve just smashes faces.

Insaneba

Reaction score
That's awesome, I've thought about using a single nozzle as a cooling aid, but never as an additional power adder. I'm actually doing a few other things over winter, which are requiring a tune. So the t body is just capitalizing on that, since it's cheap, I figure what the heck. I can piece together a GT500 swap "kit" under $200, I've spent more on less lol. I have to think on the nitrous thing, I buy that by the 60lb bottles for the bikes lol.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
A twin 60mm is exactly 19% bigger cross sectional surface area vs the oem twin 55mm.

The FRPP twin 62mm is 27.1% bigger cross sectional surface area vs the twin 55mm.

I went from oem twin 55 to FRPP twin 62 on my 2010 ( M90m +oem roush 73mm pulley and 5.8 psi). No difference that you could feel on the butt dyno. Then had a 94 tune done by VMP, still didn't see any difference.

Then added JBA ceramic LT's + hi flow cats...and that did make a huge difference, blatantly obvious. Then had VMP re-tune it for the LT's, no difference, but was required since the AFR, which was a bit lean with the LT's.

You won't see a damn bit of difference with the twin 60 installed.

VMP tweaked a fellow's 2010 in their shop, and managed to get 460 rwhp. To pull that off, they used a 2.49" pulley ( + 100mm idler), twin 62mm TB, LT's, no cats, 93 tune, and vanes chopped out of the oem air box.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
That's awesome, I've thought about using a single nozzle as a cooling aid, but never as an additional power adder. I'm actually doing a few other things over winter, which are requiring a tune. So the t body is just capitalizing on that, since it's cheap, I figure what the heck. I can piece together a GT500 swap "kit" under $200, I've spent more on less lol. I have to think on the nitrous thing, I buy that by the 60lb bottles for the bikes lol.

If you have the equipment to fill your own bottles and the freezer to do it with, you're even better off than most. Nitrous + boost = evil. Turbo's are probably the most evil when nitrous is involved, for obvious reasons. But PD blowers with nitrous are absolute monsters, even something as small as a M90 goes from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde, and E85 provides excellent protection against detonation which will keep your spark curve in-tact. On top of the fact that E85 will cool the combustion process as well as having a high octane rating. If you run a setup similar to my friends it's probably as efficient and convenient as it gets for spray.

I'm not sure if the nitrous will give a cooling effect to the intercooler as it passes through, but in theory it should as that entire air charge is essentially pre-cooled before it gets compressed, and then cooled again as it passes through the intercooler.

Either way, I still think a TB is a waste of your time and money on that setup.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
I made 450RWH at 7kRPM with my M90 setup, With a nasty power band. The issue was on a hot 80-90 degree day the car would heat soak and probably drop 100HP.

Get a meth kit and start from there. I ran my M90 into the 10's.... but if could do it over i would've gotten the 1.9 VMP head unit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back