TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TREMEC® UNVEILS NEW ‘DIRECT SHIFT’ 6-SPEED

FOR S197 MUSTANG APPLICATIONS

Plymouth, Michigan- Coming in the summer of 2010, the leader in manual transmission technology, TREMEC®, is set to release a brand new high performance 6-speed aimed specifically at the 2005-up Ford Mustang market. The T-56 MagnumTM for S197 Mustang applications represents a long awaited solution to the semi-remote shifters woes that are now prevalent in late-model performance vehicles—while offering all the high performance benefits TREMEC’s Magnum line-up is so well known for!

Designed primarily around the S197 Mustang chassis, TREMEC’s new Magnum model achieves what previously only numb and inaccurate semi-remote shifters could; giving 05-up Ford Mustang enthusiasts perfect in-cabin ergonomics along with all the performance benefits of a direct shift gearbox. Additionally, TREMEC’s new ‘S197 Magnum’ features a slip yoke interface for use with a 1-piece driveshaft, adds the ability to adapt to a ‘blow-proof’ bellhousing, and the eliminates the skip-shift feature slated to arrive in 2011 models of the Mustang GT.

As an aftermarket variant of the same transmission used in all Shelby GT500’s, this brute performance 6-speed offers incredibly precise, short and crisp shifts along with a generous 700-lb ft. of torque capacity for the ultimate street performance setups. TREMEC is even offering the new S197 Magnum with two unique sets of gear ratios for a truly custom tailored ownership experience. Add to that TREMEC’s existing line of T-56 Magnums for Modular engine applications, and TREMEC has nearly any Modular-powered install that enthusiasts can dream up covered!

:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I was good until they said "slip yoke". Fuck that!

The last thing I want is to be at 120+ mph when the slop in the front u-joint or cv joint allows enough slip for the front of the driveshaft to fall off the output shaft! I had that happen at 35 in my Jeep and it almost flipped my truck forward ass over nose.

The next day I installed an NP slip yoke eliminator kit in the Jeep and bough a new CV driveshaft... along with having to replace my entire 8.25" rear, most of my rear suspension, and my gas tank.

Everything else sounds great.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
If I decide to stay with a manual trans, this may be my trans route. Looking forward to the pricing on this bad boy.

Thanks for the info.!.!

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

The last thing I want is to be at 120+ mph when the slop in the front u-joint or cv joint allows enough slip for the front of the driveshaft to fall off the output shaft! I had that happen at 35 in my Jeep and it almost flipped my truck forward ass over nose.
A lot of us have went pretty fast with a fox or SN-95 and have never ever heard of the slip yoke slipping out. I'll take a slip yoke any day.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

The next day I installed an NP slip yoke eliminator kit in the Jeep and bough a new CV driveshaft... along with having to replace my entire 8.25" rear, most of my rear suspension, and my gas tank.

Everything else sounds great.

If you knew half of what you think you do you'd be partially dangerous.

Slip yoke....as in damn near every car on the planet. Slide the driveshaft into the transmission then ease it back into the rear u-joint saddles (or whatever attachment style you have at the rear end). You know...like race cars do it. They don't just fall out on their own and if they did you'd damn sure have a front driveshaft loop installed so you don't do the "Dreaded 1/8th Mile Pole Vault" anyway.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
If you knew half of what you think you do you'd be partially dangerous.

Slip yoke....as in damn near every car on the planet. Slide the driveshaft into the transmission then ease it back into the rear u-joint saddles (or whatever attachment style you have at the rear end). You know...like race cars do it. They don't just fall out on their own and if they did you'd damn sure have a front driveshaft loop installed so you don't do the "Dreaded 1/8th Mile Pole Vault" anyway.

LOL... I know how common they are. Before I swapped the guts on the Jeep's transfer case, every rear wheel drive vehicle I have owned (including two shaft driven motorcycles) have had slip yokes for trans/DS coupling.

After my experiance with my Jeep, I think they are a bad idea for a high performace street car. Just an opinion... doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After my experiance with my Jeep, I think they are a bad idea for a high performace street car. Just an opinion... doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about.
That's a very limited sample size to have an opinion for high performance cars in general.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back