Skwerl's new cabin

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Landscaping looks good. You just keep chugging along! :)

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Landscaping looks good. You just keep chugging along! :)

You mean the oak tree? Yes, it's recovering nicely from transplant shock. I've held off on the landscaping until the roof is finished. Have about 120 plants staged out back waiting to go in the ground.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
They started my roof today. Due to weather delays yesterday they started late, had to finish yesterday's job first. These were taken about 4pm today. These guys were animals, cranking it out through the hottest part of the day.

That's just pure insanity. I have an insane amount of respect for anyone doing hard labor outside in the peak of summer in the middle of the day. I rebuilt parts of the railing on our deck a few weekends ago after a tree fell on it and it took me 11 hours. From 11-2 when the sun was direct overhead was beyond miserable. I couldn't imagine doing it in Florida's humidity. I lived there far longer than I care to remember.

Photos make me feel like a pussy. I'm putting off building a vanity and workbench in the garage with a fan until the fall because this summer is so brutal.

House is coming along nicely. Seems like twice the house you started with already.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
House is coming along nicely. Seems like twice the house you started with already.

It really is. Almost every day I am amazed at how nice this place is compared to every other place I've lived in my adult life. I constantly feel like I don't deserve it. My friends tell me I've worked hard for it, but I've worked harder for much less in the past. Thank you.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Just got home. Foreman said they were delayed waiting on the inspection for a few hours. The brown drip edge with this color shingles is looking pretty good IMO. Don't look at the front door, I haven't got there yet.

IMG_3299.jpg

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're neighbors must like you right about now. You've done a lot improve the property.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
It really is. Almost every day I am amazed at how nice this place is compared to every other place I've lived in my adult life. I constantly feel like I don't deserve it. My friends tell me I've worked hard for it, but I've worked harder for much less in the past. Thank you.

I know I haven't been on this earth long enough to really get the full perspective on life, but I fully believe that if you work hard enough you can achieve anything and that you should be rewarded for working hard. Never tell yourself you don't deserve something that you've spent so many years working towards.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have done an outstanding job on your Home !!!

image.php

Skwerl,

Your Home looks great with all the improvements inside & out.

You have busted your butt but it sure does show.

Congratulations
icon14.gif

IMG_3300.jpg

T.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Got a couple hours in this morning before it got too hot. I dug the palm tree out and got about 45-50 plants in the ground before my hip gave out. Tomorrow morning we are going to move the palm to Don's house and hopefully get the Magnolia set in place.

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
Got a couple hours in this morning before it got too hot. I dug the palm tree out and got about 45-50 plants in the ground before my hip gave out. Tomorrow morning we are going to move the palm to Don's house and hopefully get the Magnolia set in place.

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

Where did you get the colorful plants on the left side of the pic? Home Depot used to have a sales a couple times a year 4/$10 on those but hasn't in years now and I'm not paying there 8.99 price.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Those are Crotons. I got them from County Line nursery on Hwy 50 in Winter Garden, out by you. Across the street from 4 Rivers BBQ. They do wholesale and retail, they gave me wholesale pricing since I bought a couple hundred plants from them. I think I paid about $5 each for the 3 gal pots, retail is about $7.50.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Those are Crotons. I got them from County Line nursery on Hwy 50 in Winter Garden, out by you. Across the street from 4 Rivers BBQ. They do wholesale and retail, they gave me wholesale pricing since I bought a couple hundred plants from them. I think I paid about $5 each for the 3 gal pots, retail is about $7.50.

Are you adding an drip(irrigation) to the plants or just weather watered?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have an irrigation system, but not drip. My well water has a lot of iron and grit in it so I designed my system to just use big rotors that won't get clogged up. The rotors along the house are on risers about 30" tall so they will spray over the shrubs. I posted about it when I put it in a few months ago.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
We got the magnolia tree planted today (after taking the palm over to Don's house and planting that). I piddled around fixing some grading and watered but was too tired to plant any more plants. Maybe tomorrow.

IMG_3303.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Getting closer. The overall theme is beginning to take shape. I just counted and I have about 100 plants left to plant. Half of those are around the back yard.

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your house is coming along nicely, your progress is amazing.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. The roof made a huge difference and I've been itching to start the landscaping for weeks. Had two different neighbors stop by and compliment me on the house, made me feel like a million bucks. One of them even brought me some fresh mangoes off his tree!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back