Super Six Motorsports

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
the problem comes down to demand. The hard parts would be the intake mani and brackets to get a belt up there. and no company is going to make that stuff unless they know they can charge a certain amount and sell a certain number of them

as far as the cams ruining tq, I don't want to write a book here, but hopefully this gets the point across: On an N/A motor the most tq, and subsequently most power will be made when the cylinders are able to efficiently move the most air.

when the engine is spinning fast the valve events need more duration and overlap to efficiently get the good air in and the bad air out. This is why performance cams are so commonly weighted by duration and LSA. Lift counts, but lift is often limited by other mechanical parts to include how fast you want your valve opening rate to be (to steep and once again, mechanical limitations). I will explain this more if you want me to in another post.

however when the engine is spinning slower the same cam that allows top end breathing will will not have stable air flow. remember, when I say overlap what is actually happening is the exhaust valve is still open when the intake valve opens. this is what causes your 'rough idle'.

5.0s, 4.6s, 5.4s, LSx motors, and the like can get away with high performance cams on the street because they have enough displacement to move the air, that is, even though there is a certain amount of duration and overlap in the cam the displacement itself can move so much air that in a lot of cases (like hot rod cams) the car is still perfectly streetable. the same duration and overlap on a 3.7 and the motor might not even be able to run under 1000 rpm.

This is where things like VCT, TI-VCT, MIVEC, VTEC, and the like come in. These are all systems that alter either cam timing, lift, or both while the engine is running in an effort to give a motor both low and and top end power.

and though these cams may give you more power, I don't mean to start an argument here, but the reason why the 3v stangs are still faster then the equal power v6s is because of torq. Remember, horsepower sells cars, torq wins races.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
turbo it and stop adding shit you do not need. turbo + fuel system + tune = 600whp. /thread.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
what is your definition of reliable?

there are at least 2 companies with turbo kits for the 3.7

JimC

Reaction score
Wasn't Kenne Bell working on one and make it?
KenneBell was not working on anything. In fact when by spoke with them they said that they had "zero interest" in it. There was a shop in LA that was working on something, and thought they could do something but that project fell silent. They told me that they would use my car during the winter and do it at "20% off". But I couldn't get them to tell me what the starting price point was for the discount. They were so vague about everything that I decided against participating. Apparently so did everyone else they spoke to.

2011 3.7 Kona Blue

forum member
Reaction score
what is your definition of reliable?

there are at least 2 companies with turbo kits for the 3.7
My definition is after spending 5-6k on a system its works properly, can be properly tuned easily and won't destroy an engine after 30k miles. I'm not familiar with the 2 companies you are speaking about. I knew Hellion DID make a turbo kit for the 3.7 but it was pulled do to issues with it so that's not available. The only other turbo for the 3.7 that I'm aware of is by LPF, two guys and I wouldn't say that's a long term reliable system yet.

Besides, the builder (LPF) I only know of one person through the forums who has the kit and their having tuning issues with it as I was recently informed. I'm gonna need a lot more testing done and people to use the kit for any longer period of time before I would drop 5K plus on a system that is not proven.

Procharger has been around for a long time and don't make junk. The pro charger system for the 3.7 has been around for 4 years now and proven it works, works well, and no issues with tuning for it. The system is easy to install, bolts right on and no fabrication is needed.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
if you push boost through a motor your going to kill it faster, its as simple as that. Yeah there are kits out there for 3vs and 5.0s that will work for a long time, but those are bigger motors receiving relatively low boost and very tame tunes.

by my definition of a reliable kit it should last without any parts on the kit itself failing.

I was talking about hellion and LPF. I was not aware the hellion had any issues. I thought places were still selling the hellion kit and that it was just a low run unit because of demand.

2011 3.7 Kona Blue

forum member
Reaction score
if you push boost through a motor your going to kill it faster, its as simple as that. Yeah there are kits out there for 3vs and 5.0s that will work for a long time, but those are bigger motors receiving relatively low boost and very tame tunes.

by my definition of a reliable kit it should last without any parts on the kit itself failing.

I was talking about hellion and LPF. I was not aware the hellion had any issues. I thought places were still selling the hellion kit and that it was just a low run unit because of demand.
I was told on the forums that Hellion pulled the turbo for the 3.7 do to issues with it. As far as LPF, there kit and company are brand new and the only customer who is using it, is having tuning issues with the system. Its too new of a kit and company to say they make quality F.I.

One shouldn't have any longevity issues pushing 8 pounds of boost on the 3.7. That is not that much boost and unless your stomping the ball snot out of it, the car won't even make boost unless your in the higher RPM range. During normal driving operations, there is no boost on the motor. No reason why someone couldn't get 150-200k miles with a procharged supercharged 3.7 as long as they maintained its maintance and don't exceed the factory internal engine
limitations for handing HP.

2011fastford

Reaction score
I was told on the forums that Hellion pulled the turbo for the 3.7 do to issues with it. As far as LPF, there kit and company are brand new and the only customer who is using it, is having tuning issues with the system. Its too new of a kit and company to say they make quality F.I.

One shouldn't have any longevity issues pushing 8 pounds of boost on the 3.7. That is not that much boost and unless your stomping the ball snot out of it, the car won't even make boost unless your in the higher RPM range. During normal driving operations, there is no boost on the motor. No reason why someone couldn't get 150-200k miles with a procharged supercharged 3.7 as long as they maintained its maintance and don't exceed the factory internal engine
limitations for handing HP.
Correct you can still find hellion single kits for sale, but as of now hellion is no longer making them. John urist. (The owner) had told me that the twin kits for the 5.0 were outselling the single kits for the 3:1 or something like that.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back