Before I buy, thoughts?

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Hello fellas!

I need advice on the items I'm purchasing. So I've never detailed like this before, and I've spent months reading and researching what to do, so I feel that I have a good handle on what to do. That being said, the three cars I'm going to detail are my 535i(black), mustang(grey), and focus(red).

going to use the nanoskin fine mitt to prep the surface of the cars with griots speed shine, then chemical guys scratch and swirl remover, and finish it off with chemical guys butter wet wax.
buying a porter cable 7424xp

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys BUF_209 Porter Cable 7424XP Detailing Complete Detailing Kit with Pads, Backing Plate and Accessories (13 Items): Automotive

Amazon.com: Nanoskin (AS-016) AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt: Automotive

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys MIC_997_6 Fluffer Miracle Supra Microfiber Towel, Red (24 in. x 16 in.) (Pack of 6): Automotive

Amazon.com: Griot's Garage 11146SP Speed Shine - 35 oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys WAC_201_16 Butter Wet Wax (16 oz): Automotive

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys COM_129_16 Scratch and Swirl Remover (16 oz): Automotive

the advice I need is: am I getting everything I need? or are there products that maybe I should use in lieu of what I'm buying? the mustang has some light scratches, the focus has horrible water spots and scratches, the 535 has this weird flat black spot on the hood that I have no idea what it is. I'm just trying to get the cars looking clean and water repellent as possible for the upcoming winter.

sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm trigger shy right now and need the boost in confidence. granted this is a pretty light purchase ~$340 but I just despise wasting money. know what I mean?
thanks y'all!

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
You will love the PC 7424. I bought a used one from a fellow S197 forum member last year, and it is awesome, especially for a detailing n00b like me. You CANNOT screw up your paint with it! :thumb:

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Youre gonna love that nanoskin too. Just make sure you keep the pad wet when using it and it will grab everything off that paint. I chose a medium pad to use for all of my stuff. It really seems to be best of both worlds. I cant think of a reason to have a heavy pad. The Griots speed shine should be fine to use with the nanoskin. I personally like mixing a bucket of water with Optimum No Rinse and dipping the whole pad in the water. Or mixing it in a bottle and spray very liberally the area youre working on. My advice..... Screw using the velcro hand pad to use the nanoskin. Put in on your PC and spray that car down with the speed shine. You can "clay bar" the whole car in probably 30 min taking your time.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
LOL that sounds crazy sketch!! are you sure the nanoskin won't marr the finish?

also, i was recommended the fine as opposed to the medium for nanoskin...you don't find the medium to be too much? I've already ordered everything so i guess i'll try with the fine first and if it doesn't give me the results i want, i'll get the medium.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back