Shooting From The Hip: Rear Spring Rate

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been monkey'ing around with the suspension on my 05 V6 now for about 2 years. I originally started because the shocks and struts were shot and needed replacing. So I looking into lowing the car, and that's where my interest took off. Now I'm going to jump ahead to my current set up and then ask my question.

Shocks Struts: Strange Engineering 10 Way Adjustable
Front Springs: H&R Super Sport Springs
Rear Springs: No Name Generic
Front Swaybar: 35mm Granatelli
Rear Swaybar: 25mm Granatelli
Upgraded Control Arms both Front and Rear.

So here is what I'm looking to do. I bought the Steeda Rear Ride Height Adjuster Kit and I want to install a set of rear coilover springs. The rate I'm toying around with is 400 lb rate. Does this sound link an awesome or an absurd idea?

46addict

Reaction score
400# in the rear is a lot especially with your sway bar size. I imagine you will need huge rear tires to support the extra wheel rate. I would choose the tire compound & size you're going to run and set up the car around the tires. A properly setup suspension and brakes can easily overpower most street tires so there's no point in building those components if the tires aren't up to the task.

FWIW I have a 335lb spring waiting to be installed and Vorshlag (among other track junkies) didn't recommend going higher for a street car. I am still on the 21mm (or is it 19?) stock swaybar in the rear.

Last edited:

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the rear swaybar. I never noticed a change when I installed it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the rear swaybar. I never noticed a change when I installed it.

Most V6's came without a rear sway. I could tell a little difference without it. Not sure how it would feel without both the front and rear sways; would it be dangerous on the street?

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most V6's came without a rear sway. I could tell a little difference without it. Not sure how it would feel without both the front and rear sways; would it be dangerous on the street?

But what about the 400 lb rate rear springs? What is your opinion on that?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
i've got BC Racing coils on my car, they come with 7k front and 5k rear, which converts to 392# front and 280# rear.
Had an 8k in the rear for awhile, which is 448#, it was SUPER stiff, I felt every single bump, crack and divot in the road. Put the 5k back in there and it's tolerable.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back