DIY underhood light - 2011+

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my Led panel from here:

V-LEDS HID WHITE 48 M-SMT PCB 194 158 168 57 BA9s 3175 DE3175

You don't need a base and if you "like" them on Facebook you can get a discount code.

12V 30A RELAY WITH 5 WIRE SOCKET HARNESS SPDT | eBay

This a universal 5 prong relay with harness. Amperage is not important as the light only draws 360mA. I got mine from Pepboys (I had to go behind the counter and find it myself because they were lost). Sorry no part numbers but you can find these locally, but they will be a little more expensive.

First locate the hood switch on the passenger side fender. This part of the security system and I assume all cars have this:

DSC_0126.jpg

This switch has two wires: one in black the other is blue w/ a pink stripe. We will use the blue w/pink stripe wire to trigger our relay. The trigger wire is a reverse ground trigger and should be wired like this:

relaygroundtrigger.jpg

and mounted here for easy access:

DSC_0127.jpg

Run the wires for the light under the hood blanket and mount your light. I used Gorilla glue and mounted it directly to the hood liner.

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

Enjoy!

DSC_0125.jpg

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I keep a couple of those relays around for little projects. You can often find them at Radio Shack or as part of some fog lights or switches at autoparts stores, if not the relay itself.

That's a very good idea you had there. I will copy it soon!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you mount the led higher up on the hood theres an angled spot up by the latch that lets you mount the leds and point them straight down in the engine bay to spread more light into the nooks and cranies. My setup has 3 leds and i have them angled slightly different to shed light all over. Lets you see all the way down between the engine and radiator and on the side of the motor as well.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=779660&postcount=18

Last edited:

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You really don't need a relay either. You can just run the lights off the switch. I have three sets of LED's mounted as Lightblade described and run them in series together and back to the hood switch.

Not trying to pee in your Wheaties, just saying it can be simplified.

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
Using my method requires a relay as the switch is a reverse ground trigger. In other words, the switch is grounded when the hood is closed. We want the light on when the hood is open (and so is the circuit) thus requiring a relay.

If you know of an easier way to accomplish this let me know.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
You really don't need a relay either. You can just run the lights off the switch. I have three sets of LED's mounted as Lightblade described and run them in series together and back to the hood switch.

Not trying to pee in your Wheaties, just saying it can be simplified.

Hmmm. So there are there two switches that know the hood is open or just one? Also, I'm not sure all mustang have the switch the OP has. Mine probably does, but I also have the security system so my alarm goes off if the hood is opened.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah your application does require a relay i didnt use one as I used an additional pressure switch.

wystewart

Reaction score
should really put a diode across the relay coil (85, 86) to clamp the negative voltage generated when the relay turns off. The negative voltage could kill the PCM.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back