Big Bore Boss build

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damnit Bruce!!! You were happy with NA. I fed off of your contentment. Don't listen to them... or maybe you should?

For the record, the twin snails is a great idea. You're always pondering what Ford's engineers are doing (or did) and why. There's a reason the S550 GT500 coming with TT. Why isn't Bruce's BBB 3V? If they can make 800hp, then we can too with the BBB. Beat FoMoCo to the punch!!! You've already matched the GT350 NA power.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Damnit Bruce!!! You were happy with NA. I fed off of your contentment. Don't listen to them... or maybe you should?

For the record, the twin snails is a great idea. You're always pondering what Ford's engineers are doing (or did) and why. There's a reason the S550 GT500 coming with TT. Why isn't Bruce's BBB 3V? If they can make 800hp, then we can too with the BBB. Beat FoMoCo to the punch!!! You've already matched the GT350 NA power.

FWIW I've already had a setup that made over 800 flywheel hp. It wasn't hard to do. 11:1 285 cubic inch 3v with cnc heads, 127400 cams, stock intake manifold, stock cats, E85, and a D1 Procharger pushing 19psi. Made 699rwhp.

If I ever decided to go turbo I would follow the manufacturers lead and stick with something small enough to insure a component failure wouldn't create too big of a boost spike. Probably 62mm at the largest.

That's the thing about turbos that concerns me, they are capable of producing large amounts of boost. So capable that they have to be controlled by waste gates. If a waste gate doesn't work exactly like it should things go south real quick. It gets worse the more capable the turbo is.

People have lost their motors to a large turbo running unchecked due to a waste gate issue. It's one chance I'm not willing to take. I'll take the hp drain of a supercharger belt because there is no way a belt driven blower will overboost, it's output is limited to motor rpm.

I built this motor specifically for na anyway. The few months I had a DOB kit with a M122 reinforced my preference for keeping the power below 525-550rwhp. Keeping the boost to 7psi was still too much power for my preference.

This motor is staying na.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
This motor is staying na.

I'm glad to hear it. I drove my car to work this morning. Just a turn of the key for simple BBB NA power. Enjoy your handiwork, and let us know how the new pieces change things.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The insanity has returned.

I've purchased a FRPP intake manifold, Saleen high flow elbow, Pypes orh, and Pypes high flow cats.

These parts will be used to regain some or all of the lost power above 5100 rpm.

The plan will start with the FRPP intake manifold. Once it's installed airflow at wot will be monitored to see if there is any and how much improvement. Then the Bullitt elbow will be replaced with the Saleen unit. Then the orh and finally high flow cats on the orh if the orh shows improvements.

Measuring airflow to determine improvements isn't an exact thing. It's subject to the maf xfer function, weather conditions, etc. Still though, it will show something and it will save the dyno for the final configuration once it's determined. I've used airflow measurement during wot pulls to set up cam retard in the past and it worked then.

The intake manifold is prepped and ready to go on. I still had the set of fuel rails I used the last time a FRPP intake was on the motor.

Data logging with the FRPP intake manifold shows about a 10% increase in airflow above 5000 rpm. I think this will be the remedy for the drop in power above 5100 rpm that was seen with the stock intake vs when the motor had a FRPP in the past.

I'm going to get on the dyno in a few weeks. We will see a real apples to apples comparison by just changing the intake manifold.

Edit: The Saleen intake tube restricts airflow just a little when compared to the Bullitt tube. Airflow and the resultant load isn't as linear. My guess is that Ford put some thought and flow testing into the Bullitt intake. The Bullitt tube is noticeably smaller in some areas but it flows more. A guess would be that bigger isn't always better and having smooth flow tested bends and transitions probably helps the Bullitt. I'm also guessing that the smaller intake tube is allowing for higher velocity airflow.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Well that's it.

Sold the car this morning. I'm sending a link of this thread to the new owner. If he posts please be nice.

Bruce

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Well that's it.

Sold the car this morning. I'm sending a link of this thread to the new owner. If he posts please be nice.

Bruce
Good luck, Bruce!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

travelers

Reaction score
Well that's it.

Bruce

Just saw this, Congrats on the sale, so what's next? Do you have another car or one coming?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well that's it.

Bruce
We'll do our best.

Make sure to drop in time to time. We appreciate your efforts and your willingness to document them, that takes a level of patience that some of us just do not have.

Hope to see you back in the saddle soon.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back