'14 GT Automatic - drag racing results from a few simple mods

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Another shout out to Mike Rousch. I did a converter and his tune at the same time and the car flat out hauls. And I have yet to really get into it as I'm still running my Winter gas.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you Brian for taking time to respond to my questions! Looks like I need to switch my "Mod to do" list around. That converter and tune sound perfect.

And I have to ask... I LOVE the sound of our Roush AB's. How does your factor AB sound with that H pipe?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you Brian for taking time to respond to my questions! Looks like I need to switch my "Mod to do" list around. That converter and tune sound perfect.

And I have to ask... I LOVE the sound of our Roush AB's. How does your factor AB sound with that H pipe?

Roush AB and ORP will sound like a dump truck. My buddy had that set up, sounded horrible. He swapped to GT500's...

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, all. O/R pipes don't sound good with the louder mufflers, IMO. I'm likely going to buy GT500's for my car (had them on my '11 GT and really found them to be perfect).

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet. For now I will focus on the basics. Then worry about the H-pipe later... Who knows... Maybe by the the 15's will be on your lot lol

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Who knows... Maybe by the the 15's will be on your lot lol

Ha ha; you're starting to sound like me (getting a new Mustang every couple of years). My wife made sure that when I bought my '14 that I got it with everything possible that I wanted so I would keep this one longer (maybe even permanently).

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Not the best pic quality, but here's my car launching a couple weeks ago. Getting closer to lifting a tire, but not quite there yet....

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am showing this to my brother who just got a 2014 5.0 Auto. Great job. Converter, gearing, tire. OR X, yep. Driveshaft results were great.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I am showing this to my brother who just got a 2014 5.0 Auto. Great job. Converter, gearing, tire. OR X, yep. Driveshaft results were great.

Your brother certainly bought a great car to start modding. Doesn't take much work to run 11's and be completely streetable. Even 10's and well mannered seems to be easy with these cars with a little forced induction.

The converter and tuning were the best mods. I probably could have kept the stock 3.15 gears and gone just as quick as with the 4.10's.

Keep us posted on your brother's progress as he starts modding!

foxxxtman

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my 3.15 gears and doing a converter and tires hopefully somewhat soon. I don't know that the 4.10's would help much since I'm hitting the top of 3rd or very close at the end of the 1/4 mile and it will bark the tires going into 3rd at 70 or 75mph. Having to swap another gear may be counterproductive or cancel out what benefits you get?

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my 3.15 gears and doing a converter and tires hopefully somewhat soon. I don't know that the 4.10's would help much since I'm hitting the top of 3rd or very close at the end of the 1/4 mile and it will bark the tires going into 3rd at 70 or 75mph. Having to swap another gear may be counterproductive or cancel out what benefits you get?

Popular opinion seems to be that gearing doesn't seem to matter much with Coyote automatics, since first gear is so steep. The extra gear change (into 4th) doesn't really slow the car down since most tunes make for instant gear changes. I believe the 4.10's make my car much more enjoyable on the street for daily driving, so I'll keep them.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You are doing great Brian! IIRC this car is going faster than your 07 did with a non intercooled supercharger. You seem to be able to get every last bit out of a car in the quarter mile.

Your wife is right IMO. Buy the vehicle with the options you want and you won't want to trade it off. I haven't traded or sold a vehicle in about 4 years. The reason for that is by getting the options I want and not having remorse about what I didn't get.

One of these days I'll make it out to Bremerton on a Friday afternoon.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Popular opinion seems to be that gearing doesn't seem to matter much with Coyote automatics, since first gear is so steep. The extra gear change (into 4th) doesn't really slow the car down since most tunes make for instant gear changes. I believe the 4.10's make my car much more enjoyable on the street for daily driving, so I'll keep them.

It will be snapier feeling on the street with the 4.10. At the track it is a total wash vs. the 3.15. Any gear change will take time and is not instant. MPG will take a hit with the steeper gear as well.

It all boils down to what your goals are and it sounds like you are there.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back