AutoBlip Review (In Progress)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more uncertain I become, and here's why.

This product is "universal." That's fine. However, due to it's universability, it requires splicing into the factory harness. That is a bad, BAD thing. I have never, never, NEVER seen a 100% foolproof, weathertight, durable, RELIABLE splice. The last freaking thing you want is a splice failing on track, on the highway, or in your neighborhood and causing the car to go WOT on you.

I think the product should have vehicle-specific harnesses using OEM connectors.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
There are a bunch of guys on BossMustangsOnline that use the product on-track and really like it.

I don't use it, but it could be helpful if you don't already know how to heel-toe.
A lot of people these days seem to like the idea of having electronics do ever more things for them. Me, I'd rather not be piggybacking still more electronics on top of what's already in place, never mind the minor matter of my car's permanently shorted CPP . . .

Somebody was watching AMC today..
Actually, that's a remembered quote from considerably longer ago than yesterday. Seems to fit more and more situations as time goes by, so it's almost signature-worthy from my point of view.

Norm

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
What Vince & Norm said.

Isn't the point of getting the manual transmission to do it yourself? This device (cool as the concept & technical aspect is) seems to eliminate half the point. Another thing to consider: this device means you can only do a clean downshift in THAT car; when you've put in the time to learn to do it yourself, you can do a clean downshift in ANY car. OK, off my soapbox now.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
I test drove one of the 370z's when they first came out and loved the rev-matching feature. Personally for me, heel-toeing is my least favorite part about driving a manual. To each his own I suppose.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
My heel-toeing would often take too much of my own focus and interrupt smooth corner entry or traffic navigation on my last track car, I like the idea of this product but also feel some connectors would be well receaved at this price point.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
I see both points respectively. I really do...

I know this will sound lame but when I had my SIM rig I could heel-toe the shit out of it in iRacing. I became very good at it and felt like a real pro. Unfortunately it just did not translate well to the real thing. Of course, don't get me wrong. Just because I have this now doesn't mean I have given up on trying to learn it. I still try everytime I take it out. I still want to learn and become proficient at it. This is just another option and a way of performing proper rev-matched downshifts.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm not at all sure that I want my car's engine to rev up without me directly telling it to do so by stepping down on the throttle pedal . . . don't need even momentary WTF-just-happened-I-didn't-do-anything moments.

A physically easier and less risky means of kicking the throttle than H-T might be a different story.

Norm

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 370Z's feature is cool because it is accomplished via the ECU. There is no physical modification to the system, and it was developed using ISO 26262 standards.

Using several crimped-on H-taps certainly does not meet those standards.

Now, if Ford Racing or another tuner (maybe Lund?) could accomplish this in software...

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not at discounting both of your views nor am I trying to "protect" AutoBlip. I mean what do I owe them? But here's my 2 cents.

You have very valid points which is something I took into account before my purchase. Researched, researched and researched some more. I believe the maker of AutoBlip probably took this into account among many, many other things. Especially something being universal like this, there are very big margins of error that could happen. Oh and remember, it does have an off switch.

Did yall have a chance to read the link I provided in the first post? The one that points to the guys over at the Boss forum using this product? Guys have been running this for a little over 2 years now with no issues. Not saying something couldn't or hasn't happened but the way those guys run their cars, I wouldn't think for a second they would have a problem and wouldn't have posted up about it. I know I will if I have any issues.

By the way I'm sure most would agree that we, as Mustang enthusiasts, do a lot of things to our cars that probably isn't ISO standard.

Last edited:

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have no problem with heal/toe now, but i did order one just to see how good/if this works. I know a few people would benefit from one of these.

tigercrazy718

Reaction score
I definitely agree with this. I've done the Mustang Experience 3 times now and am as much surprised as yall are. It is a lot of car but I guess because your staying in a follow the leader formation, keeping speeds relatively low they figure there's no need for one. Granted the 2nd time I did it one of the instructors said I needed to slow down. Come on man...It's a race car! lol It's funny. Each time I've done it there's always the same 2 instructors. The "slow/follow the rules to a T" one and then there's the "fun" one.:driver: Don't get me wrong, it's a great program and the class and instructors are great along with the cars and track.

O yea I forgot they do the whole lead-follow thing. You should still try and get out there with NASA tho, its always a fun weekend. I should be there again this summer.

tigercrazy718

Reaction score
Oh yea definitely man. Went out there a few years ago for one of their HPDE events and it was like a car show/track event all in one! Some amazing cars were there.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93572

Plan on going out there in May for some open track fun. :thumb:

Yea I wasn't able to make that one, but recognize most of the cars from other times I've been there. There are some great cars running around that track. I should be going to the July one hopefully.

jraskell

Reaction score
I saw that thread a few weeks ago but lost interest when I realized it only works when both brake and clutch are depressed. Won't help if you are just engine braking, which I do quite a bit (on the street) to conserve brake pads and try to cut down on dust.

So if you aren't braking, what's your right foot doing that you need an AutoBlip to rev-match for you?

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
For the install it's about as simple as it gets, takes longer to figure out where to mount it.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
I have no problem with heal/toe now, but i did order one just to see how good/if this works. I know a few people would benefit from one of these.

Unfortunately a tool like this doesn't allow groups to sort out the folks who should be at the track and who shouldn't. Not everyone is cut out to be on track. I am not trying to exclude anyone from trying it but in the end, for anyone who has done a track event, you have seen those drivers who shouldn't really be on the track. I am not saying the heel/toe technique is the sloe reason they should be excluded but it can be an indicator.

Speedfreak

forum member
Reaction score
Unfortunately a tool like this doesn't allow groups to sort out the folks who should be at the track and who shouldn't. Not everyone is cut out to be on track. I am not trying to exclude anyone from trying it but in the end, for anyone who has done a track event, you have seen those drivers who shouldn't really be on the track. I am not saying the heel/toe technique is the sloe reason they should be excluded but it can be an indicator.

In which case I guess all modern day F1 drivers, Indycar drivers, etc shouldn't be on the track either 'cause in the good old days the drivers didn't have any aids like launch control, computer controlled gear shifts, etc...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Make that "has no clue about rev matching and needs to have auto-blipping" and that's a clear indication as to the extent of needed instruction. Trust me, such people exist. How well they take instruction is a separate matter.

Of all the cars I've owned over the past 40 or so years - every single one of them having manual transmissions - none of them have been particularly suited to H-T, so I've never learned.

Norm

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back