Slackinoff's pimped out ride

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Intro: My name is Rm. That is literally what my friends and family call me, kind of unusual I know. I have wanted a v8 car since I was a kid, but the work I was doing from 16 to about 25 required me to always have a pickup. Now I finally have the luxury of driving a car. ( a big deal to this guy) So, this Bullitt was my first mustang ever and actually my first car. It was purchased December 2015.

I did a bunch of research into what platform I wanted to get. I have always liked mustangs (big sis had a v6 new edge that I would steal late at night years before I ever got my license ) and the 3v seemed like an interesting engine to me. I knew about the coyote of course, but I think the 3v is perfectly adequate for me. Plus, this body style is cool. When I came across this Bullitt, I totally fell for it. The price was extremely good even though it needed some work.

Being that I drove a pickup for nearly a decade, I was just happy to finally have a vehicle that could get out of its own way when you stepped on it. I remember feeling how effortless these cars pull to 120mph vs what a pickup feels like.

History: Ok I wont get wordy on my previous mods from when I purchased the car till now. Most of the stuff in the beginning was to fix some faults and prior ownership wear.

Check out the shift knob and steering wheel. Previous owner had some pimp rings to cause this damage.

And *(I can start a sentience with and, if I want to)here is the new GT500 steering wheel I wired up. The cruise works great as well. I have to say this has been one of my favorite modifications. The quality of the newer GT500 wheel is leaps better than the original, You really feel special when you wrap you hands around it.

I think
it matches the Bullitt interior very well.

Lets see, at some point I finally decided to fix a coolant leak under the intake. I let that go way too long. Check out the dessicated coolant sludge! Fixing this toot two tries. The first was with the OEM orings as shown. That did not work. I ended up cutting about 6'' of the metal hose and running a rubber hose with clamps instead.

It has been holding fast ever since. Before that, I had a weird cold starting issue that I thought was related to the tune. But upon checking the plugs I found the problem. Original plugs!!! Jezus, that is some serious plug gap.

Replacing the original plugs was no big deal. Thanks to the new design they all came out smooth and easy. But before all that, my alternator self destructed. I think that was my first little wrenching project on this car.

Somewhere in all that I decided to upgrade my upper diff bushing because of a great deal on this forum. Removing the old one was a major pain in my ass. See all that rubber "dust"? I was covered in that crap for hours. I ended up getting a wire brush on a drill and sanding the inside of it out. Totally worth it.

That new bushing really improved the feel and stability of the rear end, downside is it noticeably increased the NVH. The rear end on these cars are noisy.:yaoface: So when you start adding poly ended arms and links, expect it. I think this gets me caught up on the history of my mods. Ones not pictured are CMDPs no cat down pipes, xpipe, pypes mufflers with off-brand mid mount flow through style mufflers, and a bama tune (its pretty decent). This concludes the first post in my pimp thread. The next post will contain my future plans, those steps towards the future, and pictures.

Rm

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score

How many miles on the car? The seat wear doesn't match the wheel and shifter wear that I can see.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

How many miles on the car? The seat wear doesn't match the wheel and shifter wear that I can see.

Thanks for noticing. I just did an application of APC (meguiars all purpose cleaner) to the seats and it gave them a very matte finish. This matte finish hides A LOT of the wear. Nothing worse than shiny leather seats in my opinion. It makes them look old and gross. So how about now? Does this match the wheel and shifter wear? ha Yes, that is my seat.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Nice ride, Rm. I have always thought the Bullitts were cool. Congrats on your first Stang! I am pretty sure that it will not be your last!

What can we expect from this thread? Future plans for it?

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What can we expect from this thread? Future plans for it?

Hey thanks. Future plans? In one word, boost.

I dig the upholstery patch job

Thanks. You know, I am not going for perfection with this car. I want it to be tastefull and a nice representation of an older car owned by someone who loves automobiles. I am ok with some flaws.

Rm

46addict

Reaction score
Somewhere in all that I decided to upgrade my upper diff bushing because of a great deal on this forum. Removing the old one was a major pain in my ass. See all that rubber "dust"? I was covered in that crap for hours. I ended up getting a wire brush on a drill and sanding the inside of it out. Totally worth it.

That new bushing really improved the feel and stability of the rear end, downside is it noticeably increased the NVH. The rear end on these cars are noisy.:yaoface: So when you start adding poly ended arms and links, expect it. I think this gets me caught up on the history of my mods. Ones not pictured are CMDPs no cat down pipes, xpipe, pypes mufflers with off-brand mid mount flow through style mufflers, and a bama tune (its pretty decent). This concludes the first post in my pimp thread. The next post will contain my future plans, those steps towards the future, and pictures.

Rm
What's going on here? Is the Ranger being used to pull on the axle?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
he was replacing the upper housing bushing. Housing rotates forward with upper arm disconnected, probably used ranger to ratchet or pull it back to attach upper arm

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rm,

Luv the Bullitt Mustangs man ...

Terry aka tigerhonaker

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's going on here? Is the Ranger being used to pull on the axle?

You guys don't miss much do you?

he was replacing the upper housing bushing. Housing rotates forward with upper arm disconnected, probably used ranger to ratchet or pull it back to attach upper arm

That's correct. I have a new method now. I strategically place the jack so it tilts the housing back just perfectly. The technique takes a couple of tries, but it beats the Ranger method.

Rm,

Luv the Bullitt Mustangs man ...

Terry aka tigerhonaker

Thanks Terry.

Rm

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
That's correct. I have a new method now. I strategically place the jack so it tilts the housing back just perfectly. The technique takes a couple of tries, but it beats the Ranger method.

I tried something similar the first time I messed with it. But like you, I found a jack under the front of the housing is much easier. All those little tricks can save hours depending on the size of the job.

46addict

Reaction score

I realize that. Ran into the same deal when I was replacing my upper arm. I never thought to use a second vehicle to pull the axle, so I used the jack method.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Nice Bullitt. Looks like you are getting it back into shape. With each fix or mod it becomes more addictive. Good luck.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back