Detailing Questions-Answered

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I do use them... but there is alway the possiblity of picking something up off of the finish that can cause marring and scratches.

Yes, I know, hince why I stated in the first post to wash in straight lines to prevent swirls in case there is some debris caught in the wash media.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
So when would be the right time in the process to use a swirl remover?

I have an 05 that stays really clean, but I have never clay bared or anything else to it. I just wash the car once a week, im sure it could be better but it stays really nice. I have swirls though and thats the onlything i really see that bothers me. If I do the same stuff as this video then when can add swirl remover?

Great video by the way.

Ok, a swirl remover is just a polish that is more aggressive than a finishing polish like M205 but less aggressive than something like Ultimate Compound. If you use a swirl remover you would use it after the clay bar and wash. Then you can use a finishing polish like M205 or the #7 Glaze if you want to, then the sealant and/or wax.

Any polishing is done after the strip down wash, clay bar, and re-wash and before any sealants or wax are used.

And any time you use multiple polishes you start with the most aggressive first and work down to finer polishes, just like you would do with sandpaper on wood. Start coarse and finish fine.

Using something like M105 which is extremely aggressive you HAVE to use M205 or some other fine finishing polish to make the finish smooth and mirror like again. With something like swirl remover, you really don't need to use another polish after it since it's a diminishing polish that actually smooth itself out as it breaks down. But some still prefer to use a finishing polish after a swirl remover. (not all swirl removers are diminishing, but Meguire's is one that is)

Just a note, if you do use a coarse polish first like the M105, the application of the #7 by hand like in the video will not do much if anything to bring the paint back to a mirror finish. You need to use a polish that is applied by a buffer and has some abrasive properties to it like M205, etc.

You have to physically smooth out the roughness of the paint mechanically with heat, friction, and polish.

Don't forget, polishing removes wax and leaves no protection (usually), so you have to wax or seal or both after polishing your car.

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
Alright here's my question.. I couldn't find it anywhere but it's just easier to ask...

What product do you use on the black plastics? The parts like the wing mirrors, wiper surround, grilles etc. I wanna keep the shiny-ish appearance of them, what should I use on those?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Alright here's my question.. I couldn't find it anywhere but it's just easier to ask...

What product do you use on the black plastics? The parts like the wing mirrors, wiper surround, grilles etc. I wanna keep the shiny-ish appearance of them, what should I use on those?

If you are just wanting to protect them you can use. . .

303 Aerospace Protectant, it's not greasy or oily and works great.

Also, Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing and Protectant is good.

If they are faded and you want to bring them back to life I'd suggest either. . .

Poorboy's World Trim Restorer or Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black.

Mother's has a Fade To Black as Well, but it's a little more work to use, IMO.

LegendLives

Reaction score
DKS, I have been using the Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss, with good results. I was wondering if you have used this before and what your thoughts were on it.
I use it on the tires of course, also on all the black trim. Is there a better product than this you would recommend?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
DKS, I have been using the Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss, with good results. I was wondering if you have used this before and what your thoughts were on it.
I use it on the tires of course, also on all the black trim. Is there a better product than this you would recommend?

I jump around a lot with tire dressings. I haven't use the Zanio, though.

I honestly can't tell much difference with most stuff. I usually use gels on my car and sprays on my Jeep. Here's a few I've used with good results

Optimum Tire Shine
Blackfire Long Lasting Tire Gel with Procharger
Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel
Meguire's Hyper Dressing
Poorboy's World Bold n Bright

You just don't want to use a lot of Silicone dressings that will dry your tires out like Tire Wet, etc.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
I waxed my car right after I bought it, and like a moron didnt mask off the plastci trim around the side windows. I have tried different things to clean them, but the wax will always show back up on the black plastic. How do I remove the white from the black plastic?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mr. Clean Magic eraser works good for getting wax off places you don't want.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Microfibers should always be washed prior to using them. Make sure to wash them with something that has no scents or fabric softeners in it. I use either Tide Free or All Free detergent. If the detergent has fabric softeners in it it can cause a residue that will streak the paint.

And if you choose to dry them in the dryer make sure to use the lowest heat and also no dryer sheets. I dry mine now, but I used to only air dry them. I find that a very low heat in the dryer fluffs them up and they seem to work better.

I just tried washing my microfiber cloths with MicroRestore Microfiber Detergent and now they leave a weird/very small lint on everything they touch (which was a PITA to clean off... luckliy I had a couple towels that did not go in with this batch). I even tried using one to wipe down my glasses and it did the same thing. Any idea what caused it? I did dry them, but with no fabric sheets. I do plan to just rewash them with no detergent, but thought it was odd they did this after using a product swaigned for that purpose??

bullitt 736

Reaction score
If you are just wanting to protect them you can use. . .

303 Aerospace Protectant, it's not greasy or oily and works great.

Also, Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing and Protectant is good.

If they are faded and you want to bring them back to life I'd suggest either. . .

Poorboy's World Trim Restorer or Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black.

Mother's has a Fade To Black as Well, but it's a little more work to use, IMO.

Have you tried Megs Supreme Shine? I've been applying to the black trim and tires. Let it sit a few minutes and the wipe with a clean (and cheap) microfiber. Lasts quite a while on the plastic. It feels greasy going on but after the wipe down doesn't leave a residue.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
I love the Zaino tire dressing works for me, Adams "in and out spray" is good for anything black ie: grills, underhood [great for tight spots] stuff and black trim spray it on wipe surrounding surface won't harm paint or finish.
That tip about the Mr clean magic eraser is right on it works fantastic just rub a few times and re-black the spot.
I have just switched from a zaino finish to adams machine wax with a coat of zymol carbon as a last coat car looks better then ever.

DKS, Did you ever try the "plastic bag" trick? When you think your car is clean and run your fingers over the finish it will feel like glass to the bare hand. Put a plastic sandwich bag on your hand or a piece of saran wrap on the car and run your fingers over it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I just tried washing my microfiber cloths with MicroRestore Microfiber Detergent and now they leave a weird/very small lint on everything they touch (which was a PITA to clean off... luckliy I had a couple towels that did not go in with this batch). I even tried using one to wipe down my glasses and it did the same thing. Any idea what caused it? I did dry them, but with no fabric sheets. I do plan to just rewash them with no detergent, but thought it was odd they did this after using a product swaigned for that purpose??

This is what I use.

http://www.autogeek.net/128oz-dp-microfiber-cleaner.html

It's very important to follow the instructions and I recommend air drying.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score

I actually use All Free and Clear and it works great, I've been planning on trying some of the MF cleaner by Chemical Guys for awhile, but hadn't gotten around to it.

I've had that same problem happen to me before a time or two. You really shouldn't dry the towels in the dryer unless you use super low heat. It will weaken the fibers and that's where that comes from. Still have no clue why mine did that, though. I only air dry or tumble on the lowest setting. Most times I never have a problem, but all of a sudden I went through a few that were killing me with the little micro lint crap.

The dryer fluffs them up better, but air drying is safer for the towels in the long run.

Have you tried Megs Supreme Shine? I've been applying to the black trim and tires. Let it sit a few minutes and the wipe with a clean (and cheap) microfiber. Lasts quite a while on the plastic. It feels greasy going on but after the wipe down doesn't leave a residue.

Nope, hadn't tried that, as far as I can remember.

DKS, Did you ever try the "plastic bag" trick? When you think your car is clean and run your fingers over the finish it will feel like glass to the bare hand. Put a plastic sandwich bag on your hand or a piece of saran wrap on the car and run your fingers over it again.

Yep, but on a black car, you can see that it scratches the finish when you do this little test, lol I think it's probably better to do like Nasty says and just clay it a couple times a year.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I actually use All Free and Clear and it works great, I've been planning on trying some of the MF cleaner by Chemical Guys for awhile, but hadn't gotten around to it.

I've had that same problem happen to me before a time or two. You really shouldn't dry the towels in the dryer unless you use super low heat. It will weaken the fibers and that's where that comes from. Still have no clue why mine did that, though. I only air dry or tumble on the lowest setting. Most times I never have a problem, but all of a sudden I went through a few that were killing me with the little micro lint crap.

The dryer fluffs them up better, but air drying is safer for the towels in the long run.

So are these towels trash now or will they stop the "linting" after another wash?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
So are these towels trash now or will they stop the "linting" after another wash?

I washed mine after they had their little linting spell and now they are fine again. So, you're probably OK.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back