---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Staff would like to announce joedls as our March 2011 Car Of The Month

From Joe:
I’ve been a Mustang enthusiast for a long time. However, all of my previous Mustangs have been classic Mustangs. It’s because of one of those classics that I now own my 2007 Mustang GT/CS.

I crashed my 1968 Mustang GT/CS in October 2007. That car had a 347 stroker with a Holley 174 blower. The car was totalled in the crash and I was fighting with the insurance company about the payoff, so I started looking for another GT/CS. I was going to build another 68. I wanted something that didn’t need any body work, paint work, or interior work, but I was going to rebuild everything else. Then I ran across this redfire GT/CS with a dealer installed Roush blower. I knew absolutely nothing about these cars (other than I liked the way they looked), but decided to go test drive this car. I liked the idea of replacing my blown classic with a blown 2007 GT/CS. This particular car had less than 7K miles on it and the owner had bought a 2007 GT500. He wanted to get rid of a car payment. So I made the deal and drove it home on December 1, 2007.

I started reading on different Mustang forums to find out what I could about these cars, but was still a little apprehensive about working on it. I couldn’t really get the information I was looking for. All I had ever worked on was carbureted cars. All the electronics, fuel injection, and overhead cams were a mystery to me.

So, I started slowly. The first thing I did was to replace the axle-backs to make it sound better. Then I lowered the car, installed Tokico adjustable shocks and struts, LCAs and lowering brackets, an adjustable UCA with mounting bracket, an adjustable panhard bar, and rear 10” and front 9” bullet wheels with Nitto DRs on the rear and Nitto Invos on the front.

I had never driven a car at the dragstrip and really wanted to try out this car. So I finally made up my mind to try it. I had a blast!!!! But it became very apparent that I didn’t know what I was doing. I thought I could make up for my lack of experience with more power, so I took the car to a shop and had them install a 10% OD pulley, a lightweight one-piece driveshaft, a CAI with a larger MAF housing, and a dyno-tune. I went back to the track and was even more frustrated because I was making over 400 HP to the wheels and couldn’t break into the 12s. I knew my driving sucked but I didn’t know what I could do to improve traction.

It’s about this time that I found S197Forum.com with its wealth of knowledge. I learned how to set up my suspension, installed a 2-step, got better track tires, added a small shot of nitrous, installed a smaller blower pulley, pulled off my front swaybar, replaced my radiator support with a lightweight piece and was soon running 11s. I love the fact that I can run 11s at the track, change my tires, adjust my shocks/struts and drive this car anywhere in comfort.

My mods are as follows:

· Polished , Intercooled Rouscharger kit
· BBR 2.57” Pulley
· Innovators West 10% Overdrive Crank Pulley
· Metco 90 MM Idler Pulley
· CAI with 98 MM Stainless Steel MAF housing
· Kenne Bell Boost A Pump
· Autolite HT0 Sparkplugs
· Zex Nitrous kit with 35 HP shot
· Custom Dyno tune by Racers Edge Tuning
· BMR Poly/Spherical Boxed Lower Control Arms
· BMR Control Arm Relocation Brackets
· BMR Adjustable Upper Control Arm with Polyurethane Bushings
· BMR Heavy Duty Upper Control Arm Mount
· BMR lightweight radiator support
· BMR 7/8” Rear Swaybar
· Tokico D-Spec Adjustable Front Struts and Shocks
· BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod
· BMR Upper Panhard Rod Support
· Camber Bolts
· Steeda Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mounts
· BMR Lowering Springs
· BMR Front A-Arm Support Brace
· BMR Rear Tunnel Brace
· Ultralight Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft
· Wheel Replicas 18 X 10 Black Deep-Dish Bullitt with Nitto NT555R 305/35 X 18 – Rear
· Wheel Replicas 18 X 9 Black Deep-Dish Bullitt with Nitto Invo 255/40 X 18 – Front
· Eaton TrueTrac Differential
· FRPP 4.10:1 Ring & Pinion Gears
I currently am acquiring all the parts to build a forged motor for this car. I just about have everything I need and want to try building it myself. I have only built pushrod engines, but with the wealth of knowledge and help on S197Forum.com, I’m sure I will be able to pull it off.
joedls

Calendarsubmission2-1.jpg

engine.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

joedls

Last edited:

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the compliments!!!

I was very surprised and pleased when I found out my car was going to be COTM. I can think of many more cars on this site that are much more deserving, so I'm honored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back