S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com

Go Back   S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com > Mustang s197 Tech Forums > DIY Tech Guides

DIY Tech Guides Come here to post or look for a walkthrough guide for anything from installing s/c's to changing oil. It goes here!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Entrenched

Entrenched is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DIY underhood light - 2011+

I bought my Led panel from here:

V-LEDS HID WHITE 48 M-SMT PCB 194 158 168 57 BA9s 3175 DE3175

You don't need a base and if you "like" them on Facebook you can get a discount code.

Click the image to open in full size. 12V 30A RELAY WITH 5 WIRE SOCKET HARNESS SPDT | eBay

This a universal 5 prong relay with harness. Amperage is not important as the light only draws 360mA. I got mine from Pepboys (I had to go behind the counter and find it myself because they were lost). Sorry no part numbers but you can find these locally, but they will be a little more expensive.

First locate the hood switch on the passenger side fender. This part of the security system and I assume all cars have this:

Click the image to open in full size.

This switch has two wires: one in black the other is blue w/ a pink stripe. We will use the blue w/pink stripe wire to trigger our relay. The trigger wire is a reverse ground trigger and should be wired like this:

and mounted here for easy access:

Run the wires for the light under the hood blanket and mount your light. I used Gorilla glue and mounted it directly to the hood liner.

Enjoy!

2011 RR 5.0 6M; Brembo, HIDs, 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq, Procharger D1SC Stage II, Boss Intake, ARH 1 7/8 , Magnaflow, Amazon Racing tune, BMR lowers, adjustable panhard, adjustable upper, and sway bar relo, CHE diff brace, LPW cover, H & R race springs, Koni SRTs, GT500 strut mount, Goodridge lines, RotorPro, HPS pads, Super Blue Fluid, JPC Line Lock, McLeod RXT, JPC clutch line, Ram clutch adjuster, and Boss transmission cooler
Entrenched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
VTXFrank
Obama SUCKS!

VTXFrank is a glorious beacon of lightVTXFrank is a glorious beacon of lightVTXFrank is a glorious beacon of lightVTXFrank is a glorious beacon of lightVTXFrank is a glorious beacon of lightVTXFrank is a glorious beacon of light

I keep a couple of those relays around for little projects. You can often find them at Radio Shack or as part of some fog lights or switches at autoparts stores, if not the relay itself.

That's a very good idea you had there. I will copy it soon!

VTXFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Bmr4life
2005 GT

Bmr4life is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting this.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
JeremyH
3V Fuel Guru

JeremyH is a jewel in the roughJeremyH is a jewel in the roughJeremyH is a jewel in the roughJeremyH is a jewel in the rough

If you mount the led higher up on the hood theres an angled spot up by the latch that lets you mount the leds and point them straight down in the engine bay to spread more light into the nooks and cranies. My setup has 3 leds and i have them angled slightly different to shed light all over. Lets you see all the way down between the engine and radiator and on the side of the motor as well.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=18

Last edited by JeremyH; 07-07-2011 at 09:07 AM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
TexasKyle
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

TexasKyle is a name known to allTexasKyle is a name known to allTexasKyle is a name known to allTexasKyle is a name known to allTexasKyle is a name known to allTexasKyle is a name known to all

You really don't need a relay either. You can just run the lights off the switch. I have three sets of LED's mounted as Lightblade described and run them in series together and back to the hood switch.

Not trying to pee in your Wheaties, just saying it can be simplified.

07 GT auto,Saleen S/C @ 8psi - SOLD
06 GT, 4R70W, Powerhouse turbo.458hp/545tq
2014 Track pack, MT - Stock...I promise to stay that way...maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andonlywhitie View Post
To non-car people it is just a mode of transport, to car people it's an extension of your personality.

I love my car, it's so much more than a way to get from A to B. It's an escape, it's freedom, it's that childish fun side of my personality manifested as a physical object.
TexasKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Entrenched

Entrenched is an unknown quantity at this point

Using my method requires a relay as the switch is a reverse ground trigger. In other words, the switch is grounded when the hood is closed. We want the light on when the hood is open (and so is the circuit) thus requiring a relay.

If you know of an easier way to accomplish this let me know.
2011 RR 5.0 6M; Brembo, HIDs, 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq, Procharger D1SC Stage II, Boss Intake, ARH 1 7/8 , Magnaflow, Amazon Racing tune, BMR lowers, adjustable panhard, adjustable upper, and sway bar relo, CHE diff brace, LPW cover, H & R race springs, Koni SRTs, GT500 strut mount, Goodridge lines, RotorPro, HPS pads, Super Blue Fluid, JPC Line Lock, McLeod RXT, JPC clutch line, Ram clutch adjuster, and Boss transmission cooler
Entrenched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Bmr4life
2005 GT

Bmr4life is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasKyle View Post
You really don't need a relay either. You can just run the lights off the switch. I have three sets of LED's mounted as Lightblade described and run them in series together and back to the hood switch.

Not trying to pee in your Wheaties, just saying it can be simplified.
Hmmm. So there are there two switches that know the hood is open or just one? Also, I'm not sure all mustang have the switch the OP has. Mine probably does, but I also have the security system so my alarm goes off if the hood is opened.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
JeremyH
3V Fuel Guru

JeremyH is a jewel in the roughJeremyH is a jewel in the roughJeremyH is a jewel in the roughJeremyH is a jewel in the rough

Yeah your application does require a relay i didnt use one as I used an additional pressure switch.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
wystewart

wystewart is an unknown quantity at this point

should really put a diode across the relay coil (85, 86) to clamp the negative voltage generated when the relay turns off. The negative voltage could kill the PCM.
wystewart is offline   Reply With Quote