Ok, so what did I do wrong?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you saw smoke, you didn't have enough product. You should put 4-5 dabs of product on the pad, then spritz it with pad conditioner to make it a little wet and increase the product's work time. You should be working on a small area that is MAX 2' x 2'.

For water spots, DO NOT go directly to V32 unless you have to. V32 should only be used for heavily-damaged paint. Remember, you can always take more clear coat off with a less-abrasive product/pad, but you cannot add it back.

Start with V34 and a blue or white pad. Then step up to V36 & '38 to finish with blue or black pads. You can then go to a glaze with a black pad or a combo glaze/sealant like Black Light with a black pad, and use a slippery sealant with a red pad to finish. For a final pass, use Hybrid V07 to remove any leftover dried product and leave a mirror finish.

To keep pollen from sticking as easily, use a good sealant. CG's Jet Seal is all the rage, but I've gotten good results with their cheaper M-seal.

Always clay-bar the surface before you do anything with a DA, obviously.

Chemical Guys have a TON of videos; that's how I learned.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
My Porter Cable 7424XP starter package just arrived. Of course its raining. Can't wait to start working with it. I picked up the Meguiars starter package with the 205 and 105 products (32oz bottles) and Meguiars machine washable pads. Also have the pad prep spray. Got it all from Autogeek.

Plan on starting with my daily work truck that has been washed 3 times maybe since i have owned it. Not planning on doing the whole truck but will hand wash, and claybar the hood and front fenders and then work on them to get the feel before moving to the Mustang.

Last edited:

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks bullitt and sky, definitely listening to others who have more experience, it hasn't let me down yet!

Redfire, post pictures!

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
If you saw smoke, you didn't have enough product. You should put 4-5 dabs of product on the pad, then spritz it with pad conditioner to make it a little wet and increase the product's work time. You should be working on a small area that is MAX 2' x 2'.

For water spots, DO NOT go directly to V32 unless you have to. V32 should only be used for heavily-damaged paint. Remember, you can always take more clear coat off with a less-abrasive product/pad, but you cannot add it back.

Start with V34 and a blue or white pad. Then step up to V36 & '38 to finish with blue or black pads. You can then go to a glaze with a black pad or a combo glaze/sealant like Black Light with a black pad, and use a slippery sealant with a red pad to finish. For a final pass, use Hybrid V07 to remove any leftover dried product and leave a mirror finish.

To keep pollen from sticking as easily, use a good sealant. CG's Jet Seal is all the rage, but I've gotten good results with their cheaper M-seal.

Always clay-bar the surface before you do anything with a DA, obviously.

Chemical Guys have a TON of videos; that's how I learned.

Since you brought Chemical Guys up, have you heard or had any personal experience with their VSS swirl/scratch/polish all in one product? Thanks.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
As for sealants, CG stuff is garbage compared to CarPro, Woflgang, ect... I have used Jet Seal, only got about 5 weeks of protection.... I have gotten better from Collinite Insulator Wax...

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks. I'm also looking into Blackfire products now. The Meguiars 105 and 205 are doing a good job but man they generate a ton of dust. It would be nice to not have to blow a bunch of white powder off the car in between processes and after completing. I've done the hood and the roof so far and finished with a Carnauba Wax by Blackfire. The results are great even on white. Also using Meguiars foam cutting and polishing pads art the moment as well. Planon going to a Lake Country CCS pad system in the future.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks. I'm also looking into Blackfire products now. The Meguiars 105 and 205 are doing a good job but man they generate a ton of dust. It would be nice to not have to blow a bunch of white powder off the car in between processes and after completing. I've done the hood and the roof so far and finished with a Carnauba Wax by Blackfire. The results are great even on white. Also using Meguiars foam cutting and polishing pads art the moment as well. Planon going to a Lake Country CCS pad system in the future.
I love the Blackfire products, been using them for a few years now. M105 and M205 are nice as well. I dont see too much dust from them though

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Redfire, I used VSS on all my cars and I think it's great for getting out small scratches and swirls. It's worked fantastic on my bmw and focus

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Redfire, I used VSS on all my cars and I think it's great for getting out small scratches and swirls. It's worked fantastic on my bmw and focus

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's good to know. The Meguiars 105 and 205 cut compound and polish are doing a nice job, but they generate a lot of dust during the process. I was concerned I wasn't using enough or trying to do to large an area in the open air temps I have to work in, but after reading the back label and doing some research on their website the product is suppose to be worked until it generates dust which indicates product breakdown. The stuff blows right off but it gets everywhere. So I am looking at the CG VSS as a possible alternative for future use, but have been impressed with the Blackfire products now being sold on Autopia's website.

I'm about 65% complete on my project. Roof, hood, front fenders and doors are all complete. Masking off is a time consuming process but at least it saves rubber and a lot of cleanup. If I trusted myself I would invest in a rotary style which would take a lot of time out of the process from what I have read, but using those takes some experience working up to them to get your feel. I'd rather remain safe and go slower. At least once this is done I only have my wife's car to do.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks. Will reconsider CG VSS as an option.

Actually would never go to CG compounds from M105/205. Try Menzurna instead. Get on Autogeeks forum or Autopia. Lots of better options out there for compounds before CG.

I love CG glazes, waxes, washes but thats about it with so many better products out there.

3D, CarPro, Scholl make so amazing polishing compounds as well.

My next purchase will be Scholl's S20 and S3 Gold to use with the new Spider Pads.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you're doing only a small area, I have had good results using V32/34 by hand with a small terrycloth applicator. That lets you "treat" only the area you need to, instead of removing clear coat from a whole section.

I've done it on a couple of my cars to remove marring from bird poop.

You won't want to do an area much bigger than a grapefruit, though, because it tires your arms out. LOL.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will look into the SCholl stuff as well. I've done all my business with AutoGeek and Autopia. So far Autopia (I know they are one in the same for the most part) has lower shipping and 10 off code I have been using.

Appreciate the feedback on the Meguiars as well. It's done well just a lot of dust. Nothing that won't wash off, just annoying.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back