What have you done to your house today

JimC

Reaction score
An appropriate yard sign

using a M&P Shield Performance Center 9mm here.

Actually I wouldn't put this type of sign up or anything advertising what firearms I have. That's like putting up the shopping list for the bad guys "oh look, this guy owns a Glock and no one is home right now, I wonder what else he has"

Attachments

• tapatalk_1496677458291.jpeg
    tapatalk_1496677458291.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 94

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Got garage lighting and high lift doors installed. It's so nice.

Before

fc14bda2b3b9272b16fe56fad6f871f4.jpg

After

51adb4973fc3d7ccd0dc2771b8bbf1b6.jpg

Also installed recessed lighting in the living room.

a92a990403b476efc842ea670956cfb7.jpg

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Surprised you didn't paint the garage ceiling before installing that stuff. Also that hanging piece of drywall tape would annoy the crap out of me.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Surprised you didn't paint the garage ceiling before installing that stuff. Also that hanging piece of drywall tape would annoy the crap out of me.

LMAO, I was thinking the same thing. Both counts.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are those garage door openers quiet? I have traditional openers and they are noisy. They start by jerking the door open and then there's all kinds of racket until they stop.

I have thought about rubber mounting the openers and then putting some insulation on the garage doors so they don't reverberate the noise as they open. And I suspect there is an adjustment to stop or minimize the jerking action at start up.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Are those garage door openers quiet? I have traditional openers and they are noisy. They start by jerking the door open and then there's all kinds of racket until they stop.

I have thought about rubber mounting the openers and then putting some insulation on the garage doors so they don't reverberate the noise as they open. And I suspect there is an adjustment to stop or minimize the jerking action at start up.

Belt drive is what you're looking for. Avoid Genie, their computer boards suck and their warranty support is nonexistent. Google will provide you with all the proof you need about that. I picked up a cheap Chamberlain from Home Depot or Lowe's, can't remember which. Works perfect and so quiet someone can sneak into the house with me home and I don't hear it open.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Garage is getting paint finished on Monday along with the rest of the main living areas of the house. They are going to remove all that terrible tape, patch up a variety of holes in the drywall in the garage.

I already have a 4 post lift selected and will get it coming when I figure out the floor situation.

From what I've seen so far they are pretty quiet motors. I plan on hiding some more of the installation wires before we paint it, but overall I'm happy with the garage layout.

But as you can see in the photos I had the left garage bottom two garage panels replaced and they are as white as day compared to the other ones... any ideas of what I can do, besides getting some inexpensive garage insulation to cover it up?

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
It all started as " the shower doors are leaking, I need to fix that"

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 6

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Lol, hope you have another shower in the house.

We actually plan on redoing the shower tile as soon as we have about working shower in the house.
Had a friend help us install it and it's uneven, and the design just isn't what we wanted, so it's gonna get redone. Less than 2 years old and we want it redone already

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, we have a second one. But now the "what do we put back" conversations begin. I want a solid surface sheet for each side and tile on the floor. However, they don't come cheap nor does anyplace near me have them. I am thinking this http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Choreog...lls/1093319.htm?skuId=1093246&brandId=1148982 Home Depot can order them, but it can take up to a month. Most likely I will go with tile for the whole thing. I will be able to better decide after I hang the backerboard in the thing and get a better idea how I want it. Heck I might just rhinoline the whole thing and call it done.
My ultimate goal would be to get rid of the green 4" square tiles on the walls of the bathroom and change those too. But my wife loves the retro look of them.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
How easy/hard is it to do bathroom tiling?

It's not very high on our priority list, but I would like to retile our bathroom eventually, among other things.

Last edited:

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Got 75% moved in this weekend. The sun room door swole up and wouldn't latch so worked on that yesterday. Most of the interior door knobs were loose and rattling so fixed those up. The back door latch was a joke so replaced it with a new door knob. The dryer has the 4 prong plug and the wall has the 3 prong. The washing machine line is froze on the spigot. Loving it so far. I do miss the fenced in back yard at the old duplex/apartment but the new place has 3 fence lines up, so we eventually want to enclose it completely.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
How easy/hard is it to do bathroom tiling?

It's not very high on our priority list, but I would like to retile our bathroom eventually, among other things.

If you can use a square you can do it. Takes patience more than anything. And doing good prep. Best tip I can give is when doing the grout, get LOTS of sponges and swap/rinse them out frequently. That haze is a pain if it dries.

I know one installer when I lived in Knoxville that never used grout in a shower area. He used silicone caulk instead. Seems like a lot of extra work to me but he said it never has to be messed with again and never has to be sealed and won't ever mildew. These were his claims, not mine. Do this at your own risk.

Warning: if you have a wife at home, get her blessing first. This isn't a one day ordeal. And if you screw it up, you just tripled the cost.

Back