What have you done to your house today

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
I have a Schlage on my door. Energizer batteries tend to last about a year

got a Schlage too. lifetime warranty which i exercised. the lock came with the house, so i diodnt have receit or anything, but it was honored.

battery lasts at least a year.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Feel like a dumbass. After living here for a month and a half I finally found the air filters for our central heating/cooling system. The lady we bought it from couldn't remember where they were. House had been on the market a while so I wasn't too worried about it. They weren't that dirty. One did get sucked passed the frame and the previous owner just left it up in there and replaced it (I don't think she could get to it as it was pretty far up there) so I'm glad I finally located them.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Removed the previous owners metal chickenwire from the fence and took out a bunch of plants that looked like shit. Putting together a packet for my HOA to review for trees I want to install on both sides of my property line.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
uh, the tanks are always full, that's how they work. The solids sink (TP takes a bit as it decomposes) and the liquid goes out the high side line to the drainage field. It may be empty now but will fill right back to the top line in a few weeks or less.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
uh, the tanks are always full, that's how they work. The solids sink (TP takes a bit as it decomposes) and the liquid goes out the high side line to the drainage field. It may be empty now but will fill right back to the top line in a few weeks or less.
Gotcha, thanks. I know a lot of things, but septic systems isn't one of them. House was built in 2012 so it had been five years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
A septic tank is a living organism. You need to care for it and feed it properly in order for it to survive and thrive. Lots of harsh chemicals and excessive bleach will kill the living bacteria which make it work. Best thing you can do is add Rid-X every month and minimize the dumping of harsh chemicals down the drains.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In a house with kids, should pump once a year. I pump every 2 years with just the wife and me.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You should be able to go 10-15 years without pumping your septic tank with very little effort, mostly just being aware. But I'm sure the guys in the big tank truck are happy to take your money.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
My wife and I went 2.5 years between having our septic tank pumped, dude said he saw no issues, we've never added anything to it.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should be able to go 10-15 years without pumping your septic tank with very little effort, mostly just being aware. But I'm sure the guys in the big tank truck are happy to take your money.

It is preventative. If you wait until your drain field is plugged, you get to rip your yard out. Single guy could probably get by with no issues.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We do ours every 2-3 years and throw a few handfuls of ol'roy or alpo dog food(septic man recommended)in it every few months.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Wife ordered a 24in and 2- 18 in base cabinets the other week, we are going to make them into an island. We could get granite to match our existing countertop but it would be to expensive for the piece we would need since they require a minimum SQ footage to even order granite. Instead I bought a off the shelf butcher block from Lowe's and cut it down to the size we need( came 72"x39", cut down to 63"x26.5) Rounded over the edges with a router and now in the process of sealing it. $350 for butcher block vs $1200+ for granite.
c6765179b3e1e2f7a117b771fb40fecd.jpg

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Wife ordered a 24in and 2- 18 in base cabinets the other week, we are going to make them into an island. We could get granite to match our existing countertop but it would be to expensive for the piece we would need since they require a minimum SQ footage to even order granite. Instead I bought a off the shelf butcher block from Lowe's and cut it down to the size we need( came 72"x39", cut down to 63"x26.5) Rounded over the edges with a router and now in the process of sealing it. $350 for butcher block vs $1200+ for granite.
c6765179b3e1e2f7a117b771fb40fecd.jpg

That was a good idea! I like how you didnt leave a skinny rip on the long side like most homeowners wouldn't have the foresight to avoid, LOL

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
That was a good idea! I like how you didnt leave a skinny rip on the long side like most homeowners wouldn't have the foresight to avoid, LOL
Yeah got lucky on my measurements, 24 deep cabinet with a 1.25 over hang on each side and it worked out to be right at a joint. Also got lucky when I was cutting it, I cut it to length first and wasn't supporting the scrap piece, so it had a big tear out at the end of the cut, but luckily that tear out got cut out when I made the width cut.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That looks good. I may do something similar for my bathroom vanity top. I have a 60" vanity but do not want two sinks, nor do I want the single sink centered. Therefore the premade tops are out.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
That looks good. I may do something similar for my bathroom vanity top. I have a 60" vanity but do not want two sinks, nor do I want the single sink centered. Therefore the premade tops are out.
FYI, I didn't read the directions before taking it out the shrink wrap, and according to the directions you need to put whatever finish you gonna use on the block within 48 hrs of taking it out the shrink wrap. So I had to rush a little as I wasn't planning on starting on this right away, but glad to have it almost done know. Will be ready to go when the cabinets get here next week hopefully.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Not today but on Wednesday we bought one and moved back home to Wisconsin. Nice size garage and got my workshop set up, #2 priority after setting up bedrooms :). Now its time to settle in and finish unpacking and setting up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back