Garage parking

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone use anything in their garage's to help line up their cars, maybe car is JUST short enough to fit between wall and door. Tennis ball from a string, stopper on the floor, just being damn good?

How about keeping the car doors from swinging into eachother<from a spouse possibly not paying attention> or into the wall.

I think I'm gonna glue some pool foam the the fridge door right beside my car to keep it from getting hit, and possibly a small block infront of tires to stop the cars.

Just seeing how everyone else accomplishes keeping their cars safe in the garage

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hung a tennis ball from the ceiling on a thin rope to know when my truck is in far enough to close the overhead door and not hit anything in front of the truck I can't see once I get close. Works like a charm. This is so cheap and easy it isn't funny. Literally atennis ball, string and eyelet screw. Place it. Adjust for height. Done.

I hung mine so it hits the windshield right below where the mirror mount is. As long as I am close to hitting the ball with the mirror mount, I know I am good to open all my doors without much trouble.

I hung the same up for my wife. She pulled it out of the ceiling 3 times and I said I'm not putting it back up. She kept closing the thing into the back of her SUV after backing in to unload groceries. You would think after the 1st or 2nd time she would remember to keep it out of the SUV. I never closed it in the SUV when I unloaded the groceries. She drew a little smiley face on the garage wall so she knows when to stop. It works.

You can buy wall bumpers for the door into the wall trick. You could buy those really cheap anti fatigue mats at harbor freight that you stand on and mount one where the door might hit the wall. Any foam pad would do the job.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, I saw someone take a pool noodle with some pvc pipe and string, hung them between the 2 cars so their wife wouldnt swing one door into the other when opening up.

Will be buying some type of foam/rubber for the fridge door for sure, thinking the ball will be better than a block glued/taped to floor since id probably trip on the block with car out.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only bad thing, if you can call it bad, is I walk into the tennis ball pretty often. A little annoying, but not a big deal.

I have wondered about using something bigger that would be easier to notice and walk around.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I'd imagine it would be easy to pull it to the side. Or maybe have it passed through an eye bolt at the top and then tied to the wall. Then you can pull it up and out of the way easily

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you're putting two vehicles in the garage, try backing one in so both driver's doors open towards the center of the garage. That way you can pull in close to the walls and leave a wider walk path down the middle, and hopefully wide enough to not ding the doors also.

When I back in my garage I line up on the shelves behind me. Then once I'm in I look over to my passenger side and when my side mirror is even with the orange toolbox on the shelf I know I'm in my spot. I doubt that will work for you unless you have an orange toolbox on the shelf, but you get the idea.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a solar powered laser shooting down from the garage ceiling onto the dash of my wife's car. Works like a tennis ball, but kids can't play home run derby with a laser. The solar cell is under the door opener light, so the laser only works when the light comes on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mustang gets backed in so the driver's doors face each other as mentioned earlier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back