A/C & Heater need 15-20 min to turn on

Fishkzor

forum member
Reaction score
So, I hope my title explains it.

When I get in my car in the morning, neither my heat or A/C will turn on. No blower. But after driving for about 15-20 minutes, it kicks on, and doesn't have any problems.

Has anyone run into this problem? I;m in Phoenix, so I don't think its a matter of warming up from the cold weather.(Which I believe would still initiate the blower anyways)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

don-ohio

Reaction score
Could you possibly have low coolant and the level rises as it warms up and allows heat? I would make sure your coolant has no air pockets in the radiator or block.
Some kind of switch is not getting the signal. I've never seen this happen before so I'm taking a stab that the coolant might be low. don-ohio

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Is it they don't blow hot/cold. Or does the blower not actually kick in and move the air?

Fishkzor

forum member
Reaction score
Could you possibly have low coolant and the level rises as it warms up and allows heat? I would make sure your coolant has no air pockets in the radiator or block.
Some kind of switch is not getting the signal. I've never seen this happen before so I'm taking a stab that the coolant might be low. don-ohio

Thanks! I'll have to check the coolant during my lunch break, but I just topped it off a couple of months ago, and don't appear to have any leaks.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
If the blower fan isn't kicking on for that time it doesn't sound like a coolant issue. Because it would still blow even without heat.

Maybe the control module for the fan, or fan itself is going out?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I would first locate the Blower motor relay in the BEC under the hood. When the climate unit is commanded on in any state, it generates a blower motor request that fires this relay to provide voltage via Fuse F2 to spin up the fan blower motor. See first and foremost if that relay is firing upon the initial sign of your problem. You should be able to feel it click when someone turns the climate control on and off. If it does not, seem to click, remove it and probe the relay socket at pin 85 with a meter and see if you read 12vdc to ground (or use a dc test probe to indicate presence of voltage) when the climate unit is commanding the heat or AC on. If voltage is present and the relay did not fire replace the relay. If voltage is not present it may be time to replace the climate controller in the dash. The contacts on the relay could be faulty as well and causing this intermittent issue. However if all else seems fine report back and we can then start looking into the fan motor and the resistor bank that determines the motor speed based on fan speed selector when you get back.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
Worst case scenario you have burnt relay contacts at the BEC which is a common problem with these cars. If that's the case you will need a whole new BEC which is not cheap. You can run your own wiring & relay and bypass the BEC though, if you're comfortable with that.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back