Gen3 shifter for MT82 by Hallowe'en??

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Hello George,

Old customer ('98 Mustang GT) with a 2012 GT now and I am keen to learn more about MGW's Gen3 shifter for the MT82. I read your posts in a thread on 'another forum' but I wonder if you have a few pics you could share with us here, please?

I've got a bunch of questions and a forum member suggested I start a thread in the MGW forum. So, here we are. Enquiring minds want to know!

Does the new design have support rods like the GT500 shifter?

Is the rear bracket eliminated altogether?

Since there is a new assembly coming, I put my plans to get a remote bracket on hold.

Are you pretty firm about the end of the month launch?

What about a pre-order list? (My birthday is coming up, lol.)

How easy/difficult is the installation? Is it going to be similar to the GT500 video?

Any and all technical tidbits would be appreciated.

Thank you! :thumb2:

Chris

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hello George,

Old customer ('98 Mustang GT) with a 2012 GT now and I am keen to learn more about MGW's Gen3 shifter for the MT82. I read your posts in a thread on 'another forum' but I wonder if you have a few pics you could share with us here, please?

I've got a bunch of questions and a forum member suggested I start a thread in the MGW forum. So, here we are. Enquiring minds want to know!

Does the new design have support rods like the GT500 shifter?

Is the rear bracket eliminated altogether?

Since there is a new assembly coming, I put my plans to get a remote bracket on hold.

Are you pretty firm about the end of the month launch?

What about a pre-order list? (My birthday is coming up, lol.)

How easy/difficult is the installation? Is it going to be similar to the GT500 video?

Any and all technical tidbits would be appreciated.

Thank you! :thumb2:

Chris

YOU CAN CALL NOW AND GET ON THIS LIST!! I SHOULD BE SHIPPING SOME NEXT WEEK... 706-793-1770 ( ask for julie or debbie )

I'll post up details later this week...also like my Facebook page if you havent already and you can get first looks at new products!!

https://www.facebook.com/MGWshifters

George

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Any details on this shifter? I mean, I want one simply because I know it's going to be good, but I want to gauge if this is more important than heat or food.

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Any details on this shifter? I mean, I want one simply because I know it's going to be good, but I want to gauge if this is more important than heat or food.

I will be posting complete details pics and a video first of next week.

We have 50 first run production kits but 28 are already sold. So if you guys want to at least just get on the list call the shop at 706-793-1770...you are under no obligation and we do not take deposits just place holders.

George

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Hi George,

I will be feeding my MGW addiction this morning. Many thanks for the replies and for bringing another great product to the Mustang world. :thumb2:

cbass:

C'mon, buddy, we'll starve together! Call Debbie or Julie and get on The List.

Chris

Last edited:

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

We will be releasing the new RACE SPEC MT-82 shifter next week....

it is a complete replacement of the factory unit...EVERYTHING from the tail housing back is new.

- the support arm.
- the linkage arm.
- the pivot cup.

This shifter design is essentially a "top loader" concept. THere are no swivel or universal joints in the linkage rod like oem. It is straight back into a machined lower box with stainless ground linkage rod and stainless pivot cup. The side swing arm oem design is dumped for a 1.500 thick aluminum centerbeam that basically "welds" the shifter box to the transmission. The linkage arm also works as additional support for the shifter since it does not pivot.

The rear support bushing is ONLY designed for NVH dissipation. We have actually run the shifter on track with the rear bracket removed and it shifts the same. There is good science in attaching the rear pins into the rubber core for vibration dampening which is why MGW shifters are notably quieter and smoother than anything on the market.

Come like us on Facebook for a first look at the shifter design next week... I'll follow up with details here too of course !!

https://www.facebook.com/MGWshifters

George

Attachments

• MGWRACESPECMT-82SNEAKPEEK.jpg
    MGWRACESPECMT-82SNEAKPEEK.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 70

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
hrmmmmm why is the rear still attached to the body? doesnt that defeat the purpose? I see you say for noise dissipation, the design looks promising, but Ill have to see a real one to understand how it fully works. this will save lots of money over the MGW and Blowfish bracket I was planning on buying

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
hrmmmmm why is the rear still attached to the body? doesnt that defeat the purpose? I see you say for noise dissipation, the design looks promising, but Ill have to see a real one to understand how it fully works. this will save lots of money over the MGW and Blowfish bracket I was planning on buying

I explained briefly but in detail we tested this shifter extensively to get the maximum performance AND minimum noise and vibration.

We can easily remove the rear bracket and run the car all day long on track.
You need to get it out of your head that it is a support bracket ( ALTHOUGH ADMITTEDLY IT LOOKS THAT WAY LOL )

It is used primarily as an NVH conduit. And it works VERY VERY well.

I'll post a video up next week showing how stout this thing is. We have it mounted onto an MT-82 with the back end just hanging in air and it shifts like a tank!!

George

Last edited:

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
^^ well sign me up then, can you give a ball park on the price?

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
^^ well sign me up then, can you give a ball park on the price?

The shifter design is 99 percent done and priced., We have actually installed 4 production units on non MGW customers' cars over the past few weeks. We have one item not quoted and a heat treat cost for production pieces which i should have all of this by next week... Those 2 items could alter the price plus or minus maybe 15 dollars.

But its looking like roughly this...

Whole shifter complete 475-495

Core exchange credit if you have ANY generation of our MGW MT-82 shifter already of at least $200-220!!!

So if you have an MGW MT-82 you can get this new one for about 275!!

George

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
thanks George!!! looking forward to this awesome piece, that's about the price I expecting. won't be until after the holidays for me

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm ready and waiting, George. I suspect the massive front support will make the shifter as secure as the Gen2 version with the Blowfish bracket. With the new version I will have the sturdiness of the Blowfish bracket without the vibration. I'll trade in (or sell) my Gen2 and Blowfish bracket which will all but pay for the Gen3 version.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
The shifter design is 99 percent done and priced., We have actually installed 4 production units on non MGW customers' cars over the past few weeks. We have one item not quoted and a heat treat cost for production pieces which i should have all of this by next week... Those 2 items could alter the price plus or minus maybe 15 dollars.

But its looking like roughly this...

Whole shifter complete 475-495

Core exchange credit if you have ANY generation of our MGW MT-82 shifter already of at least $200-220!!!

So if you have an MGW MT-82 you can get this new one for about 275!!

George

Is $475 including a shifter ball, everything needed for installation?

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Also would like to know the percent of throw reduction.

The current one is a 30%. Is the gen 3 following suite and sticking to 30%?

If so, why 30% while other companies, namely Barton, uses 40%?

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The core credit works like this...

You will receive a 200 dollar core credit ( which is really an amazing gesture!! we WILL lose money on this but will offset some profit from your first purchase. )

the details....

1. you can order the shifter from us and ship the old one back AFTER you install to reduce downtime ONLY if you are the original; owner!! if you bought your MGW used then you must send it in prior to getting the credit. We must know the the older kit is complete.

2. you will NOT get a new REAR BUSHING BRACKET OR SOUND PAD THAT GOES IN THE CAR as those items do not wear and can be used on the new shifter.

3. you have 30 days from when we ship the shifter to you to get the core shifter back to us. if we do not receive it we will charge you the core refund back. We work on the honor system and so far theres no reason to do otherwise. Our customers have been VERY good to us so theres no reason to charge you and then refund you . Just get the shifter back to us asap.

George

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Is $475 including a shifter ball, everything needed for installation?

The shift knobs are sold separately but everything else ( jam nut, heat shielding etc. ) is included.

George

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Also would like to know the percent of throw reduction.

The current one is a 30%. Is the gen 3 following suite and sticking to 30%?

If so, why 30% while other companies, namely Barton, uses 40%?

I do A LOT of testing on my designs and have found that anything over 30 percent causes too much stress on this mt-82 trans. also 30 percent is smoother and less notchy,

I could have made it whatever i wanted to and this is what i found works best.

George

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I do A LOT of testing on my designs and have found that anything over 30 percent causes too much stress on this mt-82 trans. also 30 percent is smoother and less notchy,

I could have made it whatever i wanted to and this is what i found works best.

George

This comment is interesting, as I've been thinking of shifter throw in terms of a longer or shorter wrench.

I would expect that the longer throw of, for example the OEM shifter, would give the driver a leverage advantage and for the same pressure applied to the shifter ball a larger force would be applied to the internal bits of the transmission.

By shortening the throw it would now seem to give the driver a leverage disadvantage and therefore for the same pressure applied to the shifter ball, the applied forces internally to the transmission would be less?

Most cars I've added shortened throw shifters to end up requiring a bit more lever effort as a trade off, hence my long vs. short wrench leverage analogy. At some point making the throw overly short would possibly make the shift effort unacceptable.

What about the shorter shift throw increases stresses on the transmission? I've been thinking in reverse about shifter throw and taking some solace that I was not hurting my transmission. The engineer in me just wants to understand.

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back