'07-09 GT500 issues?

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
This may be in the wrong forum. If so, please feel free to move.

I am considering the purchase of a low mileage '07 GT500 and am curious about any known issues/TSB's this gen GT500 owners may have experienced. I've seen a few threads about clutch issues but couldn't find a TSB. On a completely stock 07-09 Gt500, are there any other issues I need to be aware of?

Also, it appears the '07-09 are identical & no updates were made along the 3 year span. Is that accurate? I'd prefer an '09 if for no other reason than it's 2 years newer however the models I'm shopping are both '07's.

Thanks for the advice.
Lee

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
07 has a heavy crank pulley which people claim will cause crankshaft failure in high power applications. 08+ is revised. You can simply buy an 08+ crank pulley and it will fit just fine. I've owned 07, 08, 12 and 13 GT500's. Never had any issues except from my 13.

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did find the TSB on the clutch and it does not appear to affect every GT500 between 07-09, only the oldest models. Some of the other changes include the crank pulley, as you've described, and lighting issues. Can't seem to find much else.
Lee

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Original clutch pretty much sucked.
The GF's Shelby had the bad clutch, luckily we were able to get it covered under warranty since she was smart enough to buy a powertrain warranty with the car when she bought in in 2013.

If you're buying a 2007 and you wanna pump up the power, make sure you swap out the crankshaft pulley, like mentioned above.

Other than that, go for it.

Oh, yeah, set aside $400-500 for an MGW gen2 shifter and new shifter knob.
It'll be worth it.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
There are quite a few differences between the 07-09 (ambient lighting, shaker appearance, OEM HIDs, crankshaft dampner revision, etc...)

I would get an 09 if you can swing it, if not the 07 will be just fine.

You will need to save up for a clutch, it is not a matter of if it will go out, but when... Mine went out at 15k.

If it has the original goodyears on it, you will need to swap those out as well.

If you have any questions about the 07-09 feel free to pm me.

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
I really would prefer an '09 but they seem to be few and far between. I found one, private owner, but he's outside Detroit. The '07 is local and yes, got a brand new set of Goodyear Eagle F1's attached.

At this point, it's still the debate in my head over keeping my '14 GT track pack or getting the GT500. I was fixated on getting another Bullitt but I'm thinking otherwise now.
Lee

TOWGUNNER

forum member
Reaction score
I just recently bought an 07 GT500 and just like the guys on here are saying the crank shaft pulley, clutch, and stock tires. That's all on my list as well. Stock tires suck for putting the power to the ground. Good luck!!

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
I have had both a 2008 and now the 2011 gt500. I wouldn't trade my 14 track pack GT unless it was for a 11+ Gt500.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Well... If you are getting rid of the 14 for the older Shelby, you should be warned with the fact that the Shelby will be a whole lot less refined, have more drive train noise, less (no) tech and will essentially be a rattle cage. In stock form it will also be slower than the 14.

The main reason to get it would be the exclusivity, body style and the potential for big power.

If you are ok with that, then go for it.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well... If you are getting rid of the 14 for the older Shelby, you should be warned with the fact that the Shelby will be a whole lot less refined, have more drive train noise, less (no) tech and will essentially be a rattle cage. In stock form it will also be slower than the 14.

The main reason to get it would be the exclusivity, body style and the potential for big power.

If you are ok with that, then go for it.

Potential for big power ... gotta love that.

As myself and Albert just recently found out, simply installing a $1500-$1700 used '13-'14 GT500 blower onto one of the earlier 5.4's, with some new injectors, a bigger throttle body and a new intake, with the right tune of course, brings the stock ~435 rwhp '07-'09 GT500 to well over 600 RWHP ... my GF's just put down 643 rwhp, 608 rwtq ... the car's a beast ... we freakin love it. It sounds different, and certainly feels different, than even when it was at 550 rwhp, 545 rwtq, where it was at a week ago.

I absolutely love GT500's, and I really feel that I'll own one soon, especially after what we did to the GF's :)

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
My input - Clutch in the 07-09's are a PITA. I swapped to a 2012 setup and it is night and day. Match that with a quality MGW or Barton shifter and it's even better.

Personally, the less tech in my '09 compared to my '13 GT500 makes it a complete hoonigan and I love it.

If you could stretch it, the 08+ since you can find the HID headlamp option. Easy to retrofit though if you want them after the fact though.

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, gents.

I miss the aspect of rawness from my '08 Bullitt so the less refined aspects of an '07-09 GT500 (in comparison to my '14) doesn't bother me one whit. Frankly, I find my '14 too refined for my tastes; even w/GT500 mufflers, it's too quiet. There's too much sound deadening material, she rides too well & there's no squeaks, rattles, moans and groans. You know- character. I miss that.

If it's still available, I'm going to check out an '07 w/less than 2k on the odo next week. It ain't an '09 but at least it'll give me an idea of what I'm looking at.
Lee

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, gents.

I miss the aspect of rawness from my '08 Bullitt so the less refined aspects of an '07-09 GT500 (in comparison to my '14) doesn't bother me one whit. Frankly, I find my '14 too refined for my tastes; even w/GT500 mufflers, it's too quiet. There's too much sound deadening material, she rides too well & there's no squeaks, rattles, moans and groans. You know- character. I miss that.

If it's still available, I'm going to check out an '07 w/less than 2k on the odo next week. It ain't an '09 but at least it'll give me an idea of what I'm looking at.
Lee
Lee,

Do we by chance post together on a Bullitt Mustang internet site :hmm:

Terry

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
Yessssssss, Terrrryyyy.

I decided that maybe, just maybe, it's time to move past my aching love for another Bullitt & start a new one on the same gen version of the GT500. I can easily see me in a white one w/the blue stripes, getting that same feeling I had w/the Bullitt.

But if I don't sell my '14 soon, then I'm just gonna keep her and do some 'stuff' to her, personalize it a bit more & be done w/it.
Lee

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
So yday, I test drove an '07 GT500- less than 2k on the odo, basic bolt-on mods: CAI, Ford performance exhaust, pulley, shifter- immaculate condition except for the damn driver door panel peel. The car was at least the equal of my '14 GT Track pack & I'm gonna guess a might bit stronger w/the bolt-ons, but I couldn't test that premise because I was somewhat restricted where I could take the car. The sound of that supercharger whine was downright intoxicating. Pretty dang awesome ride, if'n I do say so. The clutch was really heavy, much more so than in my Bullitt, so I'm wondering if he upgraded the clutch too.

I think I still would prefer an '09 GT500 if I decide to go this route but it sure was interesting test driving that sucker. She was suh-weeeet!
Lee

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Clutch was probably the problematic stock one.
My girlfriend's '08 had the heavy clutch when she bought it.
Very heavy and touchy, with a very short engagement spot, and it also made squeaking/chirping noises.
New clutch is a joy.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The '14 clutch is spring assisted and much lighter than the Bullitt stock clutch. You've gotten used to it.

The GT500 clutch can be swapped for a McLeod RST and you'll be good to go.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back