Anyone build model cars?

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I just finished this '55 Chevy Gasser. Built as an unrestored barn find body with updated mechanicals.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good. I used to do a lot of building. Not so much lately (the real car and home are keeping me busy). Here's something I'm working on. A full folder over on my facebook page. - https://www.facebook.com/mark.fergel/media_set?set=a.499265829148.270412.719254148&type=3

1525648_10151871288724149_1633888824_n.jpg

1017249_10151871288719149_989267666_n.jpg

Some other stuff
10922784_10152614712099149_2547157073518116324_n.jpg

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, nice work! Looks like you use an airbrush? Never tied one, I probably should get one and learn.

That '55 is only the second car I've built in the last six months and before that I hadn't touched my supplies in a couple years. I tend to build in streaks, if the creative drive isn't there I just can't/don't do it.

-Steve

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Holy schnikes! You guys painted those by hand?! And I thought I was doing a good job when I used to build them by using spray paint instead of a brush haha.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
Looks amazing guys! I bought the 1/12 scale 2010 GT500 in order to match my car but I am no modeler, so I have yet to try and build it.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, nice work! Looks like you use an airbrush? Never tied one, I probably should get one and learn.

That '55 is only the second car I've built in the last six months and before that I hadn't touched my supplies in a couple years. I tend to build in streaks, if the creative drive isn't there I just can't/don't do it.

-Steve

Holy schnikes! You guys painted those by hand?! And I thought I was doing a good job when I used to build them by using spray paint instead of a brush haha.

It's a combination of techniques. Yeah, I use an airbrush in most cases but for a clean finish I still just spray my cars with a spray can. The VW has a variety of techniques used; multiple acrylic paint layers separated by hairspray allows me to do my chipping; oil pants and enamels for streaking and rusting/stains; enamels for dirt. I've been building since I was a kid and, up until a few years ago, competing in local, regional and national contests. Quit the competitions a few years ago (except for an occasional one now and then) and still belong to one local club. It can be an obsessive hobby sometimes.

Here's a few more "pretty" cars. Most were with spray cans but a few did utilize and airbrush and nail polish.

1978_Dodge_Monocoe-vi.jpg

AMT_1969_AMC_AMXa-vi.jpg

AMT_Chrysler_Concordec-vi.jpg

AMT_Rumblurb-vi.jpg

Lindberg_1953_Bel_Aire_Bomb_a-vi.jpg

ram_pcmodeler_com_Thunderbirda-vi.jpg

ar_Lights_Manglia_SnapDraggina-vi.jpg

Polar_Lights_Mercury_Cyclonea-vi.jpg

Revell_Gran_Turismoc-vi.jpg

Testors_AlumaCoupea-vi.jpg

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks, I use rattle cans for full coverage stuff but everything else including patina is done by hand.

-Steve

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
It's a combination of techniques. Yeah, I use an airbrush in most cases but for a clean finish I still just spray my cars with a spray can. The VW has a variety of techniques used; multiple acrylic paint layers separated by hairspray allows me to do my chipping; oil pants and enamels for streaking and rusting/stains; enamels for dirt. I've been building since I was a kid and, up until a few years ago, competing in local, regional and national contests. Quit the competitions a few years ago (except for an occasional one now and then) and still belong to one local club. It can be an obsessive hobby sometimes.

Here's a few more "pretty" cars. Most were with spray cans but a few did utilize and airbrush and nail polish.

Nice work, I've also built since I was a kid. I've gotten more into the patina work the last five years or so when I'm on a building streak.

Never entered any sort of competitions though.

-Steve

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here's the rest of the "built" cars I currently have, none are built box stock. I'm a kitbasher.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Dig that stuff. Wish I had more time to do it again. Would love to build a small "garage" diorama. I have so much stuff started and in stages.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I wish the hobby was still reasonably affordable, with the cost of kits these days I don't see many parents buying their kids kits to learn how to build. It can be a lot of fun but getting good takes a lot of practice and at $25 a kit these days it's expensive to get that practice.

-Steve

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
I wish the hobby was still reasonably affordable, with the cost of kits these days I don't see many parents buying their kids kits to learn how to build. It can be a lot of fun but getting good takes a lot of practice and at $25 a kit these days it's expensive to get that practice.

-Steve

That $25 is just for the kit too. Then you have paint, glue, tools etc. There are some really lazy people out there these days and most have no desire to be creative and would rather buy their kids a smart phone or ipad to play with so they'll be left alone. Anyway, better not get on my soapbox with that subject as I have some really not nice things to say about parents these days.

Luckily for me, my 7yr old is itching to build one! We've done a couple of snap kits to give him experience in dealing with parts trees and following directions. Once we have a place with better ventilation we'll move on to glue and paint. I use that Testors glue in the black bottle and love that stuff! So much better than the tube glue I used as a kid. Only problem is it's really strong smell is too much for my kid. I have about 100 kits in a closet so no need to buy any for him to build lol. Plenty of Tamiya rattle cans too. Very forgiving paint to use. I love it.

I posted my R-1 in the other model thread so I'll need to snap pics of my other builds and get them up in here.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
How much do you think someone, or one of yall would charge to build a 1/12 scale car model to match my full size car. I would be fine with it being box stock with matching color int and ext.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
That $25 is just for the kit too. Then you have paint, glue, tools etc. There are some really lazy people out there these days and most have no desire to be creative and would rather buy their kids a smart phone or ipad to play with so they'll be left alone. Anyway, better not get on my soapbox with that subject as I have some really not nice things to say about parents these days.

Luckily for me, my 7yr old is itching to build one! We've done a couple of snap kits to give him experience in dealing with parts trees and following directions. Once we have a place with better ventilation we'll move on to glue and paint. I use that Testors glue in the black bottle and love that stuff! So much better than the tube glue I used as a kid. Only problem is it's really strong smell is too much for my kid. I have about 100 kits in a closet so no need to buy any for him to build lol. Plenty of Tamiya rattle cans too. Very forgiving paint to use. I love it.

I posted my R-1 in the other model thread so I'll need to snap pics of my other builds and get them up in here.

Even Snap-fit kits have gotten stupid expensive in my opinion, you'd think that they'd go out of their way to at least make those cheap just to get the kids hooked.

Wish I had a closet stockpile like that, I have about a dozen although I tend to raid them for parts so most aren't complete. I do have a fairly extensive bin of spares that I have sorted into engine, wheels/tires, misc bits and body shells.

Paints and glue are pretty reasonable, I also use the black bottle Testors glue. Love it, works great, no mess and you can leave it untouched in the bin for a couple years at a time and it still works when you want to use it.

-Steve

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
How much do you think someone, or one of yall would charge to build a 1/12 scale car model to match my full size car. I would be fine with it being box stock with matching color int and ext.

Some people do build on commission, I don't.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
Some people do build on commission, I don't.

yea I might try to tackle it myself. My only issue is it came with white stripes and I need silver stripes. I am sure I can find a company that can re do the decals and make them silver.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
I used to build about ten years ago. I have over 300 unbuilt kits...lol... I used to work at the local hobbytown usa part time. Never made any money, just signed the check over... When I was younger, I was friends with some of the best Drag Model builders in the Nation. Don Farhni and Dan Himmel. I met Mark Gustavson at the first and only Mile High Nationals car model contest in either 87 or 88. I plan on getting back into it soon. Airbrush is an awesome tool, buy one Steve!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back