Anyone build model cars?

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, this is the first one I've built specifically for someone else. I have thought of doing more and charging for them but then expectations change and it stops being a fun hobby and turns onto work and that's the last thing I want.

When I did builds like this I always did it for free like a gift for them or they would provide the kit.

Lowfast

Just another idiot
Reaction score
A couple of my kids have shown a little interest over the years but the hobby has gotten so expensive that I could barely afford to support my own hobby let alone buying kits for a kid to learn on.

Makes me sad. :(

-Steve

Having been out of it now for 20 years, what has caused it to become so expensive? I remember being able to pick up a nice model kit for $10 and then paint and other things were also pretty cheap.

dieselboy28

sick my duck
Reaction score
Having been out of it now for 20 years, what has caused it to become so expensive? I remember being able to pick up a nice model kit for $10 and then paint and other things were also pretty cheap.

Most model kits run about $25 retail now. Little paints are about $1.50 and spray paint is usually a min. of $5. Then if you add anything after market you're probably a min. of $5 to who knows how much.

And Steve, absolutely beautiful! You're workmanship never ceases to amaze. Did you spray or brush the flat black? if you brushed it, what did you use?

Lowfast

Just another idiot
Reaction score
Most model kits run about $25 retail now. Little paints are about $1.50 and spray paint is usually a min. of $5. Then if you add anything after market you're probably a min. of $5 to who knows how much.

And Steve, absolutely beautiful! You're workmanship never ceases to amaze. Did you spray or brush the flat black? if you brushed it, what did you use?

Well still cheaper than a box of Legos.

dieselboy28

sick my duck
Reaction score

Ain't that the fucking truth! I used to love collecting legos, now they're a fortune! I wonder what theyll cost by the time my son is old enough to start enjoying them(he's 2 now).

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score

Not sure really but when I was a kid a kit was $4-$6, granted that was the 70s but even then that wasn't huge money and even a kid could swing that on an allowance.

Now at $25+ I even have a hard time justifying it and rarely buy at full price.

Only aftermarket I buy is the plug wiring because I haven't found any other source for the right size and in proper colors.

Thanks for the kind words, I am quite proud of the Skylark. The underbody and frame were painted with Krylon flat black, engine bay, trim parts and areas that needed to be touched up were done with Testors Model Master flat black out of the bottle and applied with a brush.

Don't even get me started. :mad2:

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I have a mustang model kit that I had planned on putting together and at least painting it like my current car but I was saddened to realized that the local Wal-Mart, ToysRUs, etc didn't sell the glue or paint for it.

Guess I need to search online

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have a mustang model kit that I had planned on putting together and at least painting it like my current car but I was saddened to realized that the local Wal-Mart, ToysRUs, etc didn't sell the glue or paint for it.

Guess I need to search online

Got a Hobby Lobby near by? Do a search for hobby shops too, you might just find something good.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
When I did builds like this I always did it for free like a gift for them or they would provide the kit.

Yeah, my buddy bought the kit and he's paying for the extra supplies I had to buy but I'd never charge him for the build itself.

I actually had to buy a second kit just to get the wheels, they were about the closest I could find.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, my buddy bought the kit and he's paying for the extra supplies I had to buy but I'd never charge him for the build itself.

I actually had to buy a second kit just to get the wheels, they were about the closest I could find.

What kit did those wheels come from? They're a perfect match!

Wish I could get back to building. Just don't have the time.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
What kit did those wheels come from? They're a perfect match!

Wish I could get back to building. Just don't have the time.

When he first sent me the pics of the car I was thinking that I knew I'd seen the wheels before but couldn't place them right away.

They're Nascar wheels, only tricky thing was finding them in 1/24 scale. I lucked out and got a discounted open box kit at the local hobby store. The majority of Nasca kits I find are 1/25th scale which would have thrown off the fit.

I also lucked out having those rear tires in my parts bin, decent scale size tires are hard to come by, Then I had to make my own spacers for the rears between the wheel halves because the tires were too wide and then had to sand the front halves down because the front tires were too narrow.

-Steve

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I want to build a copy of my car from combining 1/18 prebuilt metal models but the Autoart 1/18 that would be the base is $150+ now,
http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Fire-Red-California-Special/dp/B017O4J94M

I can't see putting that much money not in to the real car. Too bad I already have one car for the wheels, splitter, etc too
Amazon.com: Maisto 1:18 Scale 2010 Roush 427R Ford Mustang Diecast Vehicle (Colors May Vary): Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HyIstuBSL.@@AMEPARAM@@41HyIstuBSL

Last edited:

Will51

forum member
Reaction score
I have been slowly rebuilding my collection. I had over 150 model cars built at one point, but I was a teenager and my fathers second marriage produced at brother 15 years younger than I. He got into my room and destroyed ALL OF THEM while I was at school. So I got back into it a few years ago and started building again.

20150601_194016_zpsj1oxz7ri.jpg

20150601_194007_zps16umcum0.jpg

I'm currently working on a 1:96 USS Constitution. If anyone knows anything about this kit, I'm at the rigging stage and I'm doing it with the sails down. Fun stuff....

20160225_204010_zpsdsphgp3o.jpg

20160225_204020_zpsjwjjqom9.jpg

20160225_204048_zpsztopmo1v.jpg

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I have been slowly rebuilding my collection. I had over 150 model cars built at one point, but I was a teenager and my fathers second marriage produced at brother 15 years younger than I. He got into my room and destroyed ALL OF THEM while I was at school. So I got back into it a few years ago and started building again.

Im sorry to hear of the loss of your 15 year younger brother, how many times did he throw himself down the stairs?

lol

Will51

forum member
Reaction score
Oh man, you wanna talk about mad, I didn't even try to fix them, I just threw them all away. Didn't touch another kit for over 10 years.

I never understood how he managed to destroy all of them without anyone wondering where he was? It must've taken him hours to do.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
My dad had a party once and somemone brought kids that broke a bunch of my models when I was a teenager too. Really frustrating.

My hats off to you for your work on the Constitution, a fully rigged tall ship is something I don't think I'd ever attempt.

-Steve

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a 1:96 USS Constitution. If anyone knows anything about this kit, I'm at the rigging stage and I'm doing it with the sails down. Fun stuff....

20160225_204010_zpsdsphgp3o.jpg

20160225_204020_zpsjwjjqom9.jpg

20160225_204048_zpsztopmo1v.jpg

That is pretty cool! Where did you get that?

Edit: I can't believe they made you do all of the rigging and tying in the cannons yourself!!

Here is a video to see what the fruits of your labor will look like when you are done. It must take at least 120hours to build that kit :omfg:

Last edited:

Will51

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah it pretty intense. What you don't see is all rigging work I did on the cannons on the lower level. The kit can be bought online or at most hobby shops. It's probably the most popular model ship kit out there. It's a Revell 1:96 uss constitution kit. They also make a 1:196 scale that a but less detailed and easier to build. You can usually find the larger kit for about $75-$85

When I'm done with this one I want to do the 1:100 scale HMS Victory and 1:100 Soleil Royale, both by Heller. The Constitution is a frigate, those two are both full size 100 gun Galleons.

Amazon.com: Revell 1:96 USS Constitution: Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oWg8FwzjL.@@AMEPARAM@@41oWg8FwzjL
Amazon.com: Heller HMS Victory Boat Model Building Kit: Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dPDmK-EEL.@@AMEPARAM@@51dPDmK-EEL
Amazon.com: Heller Soleil Royal Boat Model Building Kit: Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RJnvLCLpL.@@AMEPARAM@@61RJnvLCLpL

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back