November 2009 Car Of The Month: 07CaliGTstang

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BCP_5803_SM.jpg

So, you don't have $50,000 in mods? You don't run 9's in the 1/4 mile? Well thats ok, if you have a clean daily driver with well thought out modifications--you are still COTM material. Laura's California Special mustang is an awesome example of a clean daily driver that goes to shows AND sees the track. Join me in congratulating Laura for being our November COTM!

In Laura's own words below:

**************************************************************************************************

What a true HONOR! To be considered for COTM out of all these awesome cars is incredible. Thank you.

Well, as some of you know, my name is Laura. I'm a small town girl. I grew up on the out-skirts of York, PA. My family was always a car family, particularly a Ford family. I remember hanging out with my father out in the driveway or at his buddies house watching him work on cars. I guess that's where I got my interest in muscle cars. I would help him turn wrenches every now and again on his 1968 Ford Thunderbird when I wasn't busy with sports or school.

It wasn't until I got into high school when I was first introduced to the Ford Mustang. I ended up dating a guy that owned a Fox Body LX coupe. I fell in love with that car, and from that day I told myself that I would have my very own Mustang. Only after many years following graduation and then doing a tour overseas in Iraq while in the Army was I able to afford such a dream.

The LX was fresh in my memory when I started looking until I took a drive in a friends 2006. I was sold on it! It looked incredible from front to back, in and out. And for it to have the retro style of the classics made it even more desirable. I did research that entire week before I went to the dealership. Color, options, etc. As I went through it all I came across the California Special edition. As that picture of the Performance White coupe sat on my computer screen, I got that same feeling I had when I was sitting in the LX. I went straight to the dealership, money in hand. Four hours later, I was sitting in the driver seat and pulling out of the lot!!!!

**************************************************************************************************

BCP_5764_SM.jpg

I didn't have any plans for my car when I first bought her. It was just a dream that I could finally say came true. I was proud to be behind the wheel every time I got in my car. It was an escape for me....................

That all changed when I got involved in the local Mustang clubs and Mustang forums. It was a huge eye-opener for me when it came to all the different aftermarket parts available for the S197’s. I had no idea. And before I knew it, the modding bug bit, and it bit HARD.

I started with the basics. The usual CAI and tune. I was happy with the performance of the car at that time, so I opted to work more on the appearance. I had a vivid picture in my head of what she was going to look like, knowing I was just going to make subtle changes, but I wanted to make the car be a representation of myself. I added a few small touches here and there, but the biggest changes were the wheels and the lowering of the car. I have to admit, when I first put on the wheels, I wasn’t too sure of the look, but they have since grown on me. Lowering the car put the cherry on top of the look! I was content at this point……

DRAG4lr.jpg
**Picture from Mustang Week feature that KDesigns posted**--psfracer

IMG_3098-1.jpg

Recently I have become involved in the drag racing scene…………thanks to all of you here on S197! What a RUSH!! I have only been out a handful of times, but each time I learn more and more about the car and about drag racing. The first time out was more about me getting over my nerves more than anything. Since then I added some LCA’s and relocation brackets to help with wheel hop and a set of drag radials. Thanks to all of you with your encouragement and feedback, I am continuing to improve, especially on my 60’ times. More seat time is all I need. My personal best at the moment:
RT: .043
60: 1.98
330ft: 5.67
1/8: 8.68
MPH: 81.71
1000: 11.26
1/4: 13.42
MPH: 103.9

100_1631.jpg
**notice the dog tags hanging from the rear view mirror**-psfracer

My car is still an on-going work in progress. There are still quite a few things I have planned performance and looks wise, but I am happy with the way she sits as is. She has come a long way since the day I bought her. My ultimate goal is to have a mid 12 second cruiser that turns heads. And I believe I am well on my way thanks to this wonderful site that is full of the best damn technical knowledge out there for the S197! Again, thank you so much for everything!!!

Complete list of mods to date:

Engine/Drivetrain
Steeda Cold Air Intake
SCT XCAL-3 Tuner
SLP Loudmouth Axle-back
Hurst Short Throw Shifter

Suspension
FRPP K Springs
BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar
UMI Performance Adjustable LCAs
UMI Performance Relocation Brackets

Appearance
5% Tinted Windows
50% Tinted Windshield
FR500 18” Black Chrome Wheels
Fronts 18X9 (275/40-18)/Rears 18X10 (285/40-18)
American Muscle Halo Fog Lights
American Muscle Smoked Halo LED Projector Headlights
American Muscle Smoked Turn Signal Lights
American Muscle Smoked Tail Lights
American Muscle Smoked Third Brake Light
Stangmods Smoked Rear Side Markers
SHR Honeycomb Tail Light Trunk Panel
SHR Lower Grill Insert
CJ’s Headlight Splitters
Roush Quarter Window Louvers

BCP_5759_SM.jpg
**"Don't feed the horses"**--psfracer

Last edited:

gzmo

forum member
Reaction score
congrats and your car is gorgeous

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Laura. Good choice for COTM & as stated above, you don't need to spend $50,000 in mods & run 9's in the 1/4 mile to have a car worthy of COTM honors.

Back