*Official* BBQ N' Smoker thread

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on this little bad boy. Set it and forget it. This will make doing those long smokes a whole lot easier than checking in on it every 45-60 minutes.

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/CyberQ%20WiFi

Cyber-wifi-no-adaptor.jpg

I've been looking at getting one of those, be sure to give us a report on how you like it.

Earl

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting one of those, be sure to give us a report on how you like it.

Earl

Hey Earl I just ordered it. I got the base kit for 300 then added the dual fan 25 CFM kit for offset smokers OVER 18 inch. All in all it was right around 600 bucks. I have a LARGE smoker so depending on what size you've got you could probably get it for a lot cheaper. I just pulled the trigger on it so we'll see how it performs when I get it and I'll write a little review for those that are interested. Should be fun!

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How did I not realize this thread existed?

I just (last week) got a smoker. It's an electric smoker that might look familiar:

picture.php

It has a window so you can check on your yummies without opening the door and losing heat. Also has a built in temp probe that reports to the remote control so you can monitor meat temp without opening.

I've had it a week and so far I've smoked wings twice, (latest was today), pork tenderloin, and baby back ribs. Some degree of success (the wings are great and the tenderloin was very moist) and a massive failure (way over cooked ribs..inedible to me, but my wife still likes them...course she wants her steak well-done...). I will not be deterred though; I will do ribs again... probably as soon as I can get to the store to buy some. Practice makes perfect.

I'm looking forward to hints/help.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
What model is it? I thought about getting an electric one for some set it and forget cooking because using only wood in my smoker is fairly high maintenance but also high in reward. Temporarily I ended up getting a cast iron propane burner for $12.99 and putting it in the smoker for when I needed a set it and forget it cook. I'm excited about the cyberq though. You can read about it here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/cyberqwifi/cqwf1.htm

You may have already answered me in the other thread but what sauce did you make for those wings?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How did I not realize this thread existed?

I just (last week) got a smoker. It's an electric smoker that might look familiar:

picture.php

It has a window so you can check on your yummies without opening the door and losing heat. Also has a built in temp probe that reports to the remote control so you can monitor meat temp without opening.

I've had it a week and so far I've smoked wings twice, (latest was today), pork tenderloin, and baby back ribs. Some degree of success (the wings are great and the tenderloin was very moist) and a massive failure (way over cooked ribs..inedible to me, but my wife still likes them...course she wants her steak well-done...). I will not be deterred though; I will do ribs again... probably as soon as I can get to the store to buy some. Practice makes perfect.

I'm looking forward to hints/help.
The electric ones are nice but I just can't give up the flavor of good charcoal cooking. I used to have a big ceramic egg cooker, my father brought it from Japan and I loved it but they get very fragile, after using for a while and it got broken during one of my moves. The new ceramic ones are now over $1000, with accessories and I just can't justify that cost. I got one of the steel Char-Griller Kamodo grills last year and I really like it. I also picked up a Cyber Q this month but with everything going on I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Earl

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
Here is my smoker, its 34 years old and has won several state championships. Built from a butane tank that almost killed my dad. Need to put a new firebox on it and some fresh paint. I still cook on it at least once a week.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375545827960.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375545827960.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 42

TxGt1

forum member
Reaction score
Im glad I found this thread! I I have a cheap offset smoker I use. I'm going to put some ribs and a pork shoulder on tomorrow ! Here a pic of some pulled pork and sliced brisket I did a few weeks ago. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375547432.710495.jpg

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What model is it? I thought about getting an electric one for some set it and forget cooking because using only wood in my smoker is fairly high maintenance but also high in reward. Temporarily I ended up getting a cast iron propane burner for $12.99 and putting it in the smoker for when I needed a set it and forget it cook. I'm excited about the cyberq though. You can read about it here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/cyberqwifi/cqwf1.htm

You may have already answered me in the other thread but what sauce did you make for those wings?

It's a Masterbuilt. It's not quite fire-and-forget since you need to feed it wood chips periodically, but I like it so far. I'm looking forward to learning on it. Only real downside right now is I need no precip to really use it as my deck doesn't have a roof and it isn't supposed to get wet. Water bad.

I did answer but I will repeat; I didn't make a sauce, that is just the rub on those wings. I don't really have a sauce recipe as of yet, I use commercially available stuff and tweak it. Next time I do wings I'm going to finish them in the oven to get the skins crispy; I'm curious of the difference between oven and fryer for crispiness and flavor.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Smoked an 8 pound Boston Butt the other day. I figured it was something I needed to do with a new smoker. I brined it for about 14 hours, then put a rub on it (used mustard to help it adhere) and smoked it for 12 hours with Hickory. After that, I finished it in the oven for another 4 hours covered in foil.

Ended up fantastic. The bone came out with no resistance. The bark was great and the meat had that great flavor all the way through. My wife FINALLY is ok with me buying the damned smoker, (my ribs were overcooked and she doesn't like chicken wings). We ate till we were stuffed.

Of course now I have a pile of pulled smoked pork... but then I guess there are worse things eh?

I'm pretty happy with it, considering I have never done it before. The built-in temp probe and the remote control that will report the temp worked great. I can sit inside with a beer watching football and check the temp at any time.

Bullitt1809

forum member
Reaction score
I want to get into to smoking, but dont know what type of smoker to get. I was told that electric smokers are easy, just set the temp and forget about it. What type of smoker is best? I am not afraid to spend up $800 on a good high quality smoker. I just dont want to buy one and turn around and buy a different one, because I dont like the one I got. What kind of smoker does everyone have and what suggestions do they have as far as electric, gas, charcoal. Do you have any advice for someone who wants to get into smoking every weekend, year round. I live in pa so we get cold/snow. Thanks for all the help.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
If you want a good quality easy to use smoker, get a traeger pellet smoker. Me personally, I love the true wood smoke and lump charcoal to finish my cook with a traditional smoker. I use a chargriller acorn kamado smoker and also a side fire boxed smoker. I sit and baby sit my cooker the whole 11-13 hours when I do my pulled pork, plus I mop it every 30 mins.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I want to get into to smoking, but dont know what type of smoker to get. I was told that electric smokers are easy, just set the temp and forget about it. What type of smoker is best? I am not afraid to spend up $800 on a good high quality smoker. I just dont want to buy one and turn around and buy a different one, because I dont like the one I got. What kind of smoker does everyone have and what suggestions do they have as far as electric, gas, charcoal. Do you have any advice for someone who wants to get into smoking every weekend, year round. I live in pa so we get cold/snow. Thanks for all the help.

I have an electric smoker. It has a glass door and a remote temp gauge and meat probe. I selected electric because I don't have space for something else. In a different house, I would probably have a wood/charcoal one as well.

If you are uncertain and willing to spend a ton, why not go the other direction and pick up a cheapo and see if you like the way it smokes. That way you haven't wasted a ton of cash on something you don't want.

A big issue with the electric is it has to stay dry. I don't have a covered area for it, so right now it lives in my kitchen until I want to use it, then I wheel it out on to the deck. It has wheels on it so it isn't an issue of mobility; just annoyance.

RichardSATX

Roush On!
Reaction score
I smoke all kinds of meats. Even smoked meatballs, meatloaf, and most game. I whole smoke piglets that we shoot at the ranch (footballs).

Bullitt1809

forum member
Reaction score
Can you tell what type of smoker used to smoke meat by the taste of the meat? For example, does a charcoal smoker have a better smoke taste as opposed to electric smoker, or is it just personal preference?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Can you tell what type of smoker used to smoke meat by the taste of the meat? For example, does a charcoal smoker have a better smoke taste as opposed to electric smoker, or is it just personal preference?

I usually can tell if it was in an electric by the bark on it. Not saying every time but most of the time I can tell. Damn now I want to smoke a pork butt....

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I usually can tell if it was in an electric by the bark on it. Not saying every time but most of the time I can tell. Damn now I want to smoke a pork butt....

An electric smoker won't put the smoke ring on the meat. Unless you put some charcoal in with your wood (or so I have read in my research). It also tends to leave a moister surface (from my albeit limited experience) which isn't necessarily good.

But it IS convenient. It's easy to use. It gets up to heat fast and it holds it. It's consistent. And I have managed to make some yummy food in it.

It's just not as "manly" as a big ole steel smoking beast belching fire and smoke. :)

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I have an electric one too, but pretty much ONLY use it for jerky and fish. My grandpa would kick my ass if he knew I was doing my fish in it. He is old school and ran a smoked fish shop for 30 years in the U.P. and did it the right way, wood fire only! I will at some point end up with a competition trailer to do some pork. It really does become an addiction after a while. I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive to make my pulled pork sandwiches. Once you pay for the meat, slaw ingredients, spices, and bbq sauce ingredients, it adds up....not to mention beer!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back