S197 Wide flares+ wheel specs??

KuntriLow

Reaction score
Whats up everyone.My 08 S197 is bone stock and I am in the process of getting a parts list going for it and over time get some things shipped. I came across a few wide flare cars on Instagram, such as " 5oh_low " and a few others. I really like the look. my thing is... what wheel specs would I be able to use? I want to stay with 18x9.5 wheels front and rear. I want to use offset to give the proper look.

Here are the links to the flares that I would like to purchase.

Front: https://trufiber.com/shop/2005-2009-mustang-fiberglass-lg278-t-front-fender-flares/

Rear: https://trufiber.com/shop/2005-2009-mustang-fiberglass-lg274-s-rear-fender-flares/

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you go with wide flares to only run 9.5" wide wheels? Many of us are running 10" or wider wheels at all 4 corners with stock fenders.

There are only a few people with flares that wide to give you any insight and I don't know if they're going to willingly share their wheel information. It takes time, money, and some trial and error to get non-standard fitments to work and people don't always just willingly divulge that information so that someone can come in and copy their hard work for free.

KuntriLow

Reaction score
I like having a dish and not the normal concave look. I enjoy a different taste than most scene followers. I am not copying someones hard work. I am putting my own twist to things. besides, where I come from and how I enjoy being a car guy, is by learning things and sharing my ideas and thoughts with others, lending a hand in things and so on. if you like to make people find out the hard way, by all means... you a dick.

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Should be pretty straightforward to figure out I would think ... 9.5" wheels on an S197 are usually in the +40 to +45 offset range with stock fenders. If those flares give you an extra 1-1/2" of coverage, would you not just subtract that from the offset number? In this case that would leave you at around +2 to +7. Or am I oversimplifying it?

cheers
Ed

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the flares don't modify the factory wheel openings (and I don't think they do), then wouldn't extreme offsets possibly rub or just not work?

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
If the flares don't modify the factory wheel openings (and I don't think they do), then wouldn't extreme offsets possibly rub or just not work?

In reality you would mock these up and cut the fenders and quarters to properly install them. Sooooo he shouldnt have fitment issues other than itll look goofy from the rear when you realize he has like maybe a 285 at most and a super wide stance LOL. Its gonna look super dumb from behind

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here's what I would do.

Go on American Muscle's website and look at some of their "AMR" line of wheels. They list offsets and backspacing.

Then just figure out how far "out" those wheels need to move with your new fenders.

I think you can purchase wheel simulators that let you try out different offsets and backspacings, too.

Also, welcome to the forum. You'll get a bit of flack for being into the "scene" or whatever it's called. 98% of this forum consists of guys who do things to make their car faster first and foremost. Engineering is praised over novel looks.

But you do you, man.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Look dude, I just gave you a heads up that people who have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours trying to get the perfect look may feel some kind of way when someone asks to shortcut the process after they've done the hardwork.

I don't have any input to give you other than what the others are saying. With a 1.5 to 2" flare you could run a deep dish 12" wheel if you wanted to, but you're going to have a hard time finding something as narrow as a 9.5" with enough offset to properly fill that wheel opening without 1"+ spacers.

Bnbstang

Reaction score
Running 10"s on all four corners? Is anyone doing this after a 1.5"drop? I would think they would rub?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I just clicked on the 2 links. That looks absolutely god awful. That's 100% ricer shit.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back