2011 V6 possible performance issue???

mist82

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

have a question, or more of an opinion from who ever reads it and has a moment, than looking into something specifically and possible wrong with my car.

long story short, i have a used 2011 v6, had a few mods: street magnaflow catbacks, airaid intake, and some weird ass tune that was making my car stutter.

Tips on my magnaflow melted away so i replaced it with competition magnaflow, i put in there 3.73 gears, replaced whole suspension with eibach street pro kit, replaced the rear lower control arms with BMR ones, installed BBK TB, spacer (the one the whistles :clap:), and Steeda CAI and had Matt from Steeda tune it (recently revise it to have a more sensitive throttle response as mine was sluggish, but when i tried Pedal Commander it felt jumpy, so i had him do what this little trinket for $300 does, just for free since i got a SCT X4 tuner with that CAI and free unlimited tunes for my car).

The fastest i got my car to run 0-60 was 5.6s and it was winter, on an empty, very decent and flat highway. some 6m later i cant get it under 6s and in warm weather. the thing is i am reading that this car with performance package was able to do 5.1s (motor trend), and see some people with less mods saying they have the same time as me or even faster. (i measured my time with OBDII connected device, not with a video and than counted seconds. i also disabled advancetrac as well. i can get it to spin (its automatic) but not much.

would you think that anything is wrong here, and should i be having more performance from it. thinking of doing some data logs with the tuner, but than someone with a lot of experience review it. it has 98k miles on it and i also recently put new spark plugs in there.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If you're timing it with some in car device you will never match those times, it doesn't account for roll out

mist82

Reaction score
If you're timing it with some in car device you will never match those times, it doesn't account for roll out

thanks. yeah, dont get me wrong, i still think its pretty quick @5.6s. just was wondering with the mods i have, and tuned, should i be expecting more, or its just me thinking about it too much.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
thanks. yeah, dont get me wrong, i still think its pretty quick @5.6s. just was wondering with the mods i have, and tuned, should i be expecting more, or its just me thinking about it too much.

This is a forum motto, bunch of over thinkers, the lot of us. Lol.

46addict

Reaction score
Are you saying your 0-60 is half a second slower on the Steeda tune?
Do you have trap speeds and/or dyno numbers to supplement this data? If so you may need to have Steeda review/revise the tune. If it's a canned email tune chances are it needs to be datalogged and tweaked. Better to overthink something than leave power on the table.

mist82

Reaction score
Are you saying your 0-60 is half a second slower on the Steeda tune?
Do you have trap speeds and/or dyno numbers to supplement this data? If so you may need to have Steeda review/revise the tune. If it's a canned email tune chances are it needs to be datalogged and tweaked. Better to overthink something than leave power on the table.

No. Maybe I wasn't fully clear in my OP. First mod was Steeda CAI and tune from them. Car fealt much better and faster. After that came the other mods. I have had the tune revised 3-4 times. I also had 2.73 gears before. When I installed 3.73 I tested it one cold night and hit 5.6s (and got to this a few times in the short period of a few weeks). I have not been able to match that since than, and this was 6m ago. Last revision was to make my throttle not feel like I'm kicking a dead horse in the ass. After one of these revisions my car fealt slightly weaker in low rpms but pulls very well on higher rpms. Spoke to Matt, he wasnt sure what changed as he said the tune changed very little to adjust airflow for my TB and spacer, and now lastly just the response.

Never tracked or dynoed my car so I can't provide that info unfortunately. It is an email canned tune, you are right, so I'm gonna take your advice and ask them what to log from the 1000 options in this SCT software and send to them. Maybe they can do better.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into your 0-60 times, only going to a track will tell you the story. My dash hawk says I do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. That should translate into high to mid 11s at the track, am running 12.4-12.7 depending on track prep and temperature.

mist82

Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into your 0-60 times, only going to a track will tell you the story. My dash hawk says I do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. That should translate into high to mid 11s at the track, am running 12.4-12.7 depending on track prep and temperature.

thats what i`m thinking. i`m using software installed on an android tablet to monitor stuff through OBDII, and i`m thinking it might be acting up sometimes. a friend has been bothering me to go to the track with him, but i just didnt want to because i didnt do the driveshaft mod yet, but i might take it out one day soon and get the actual time from them. its not like i`ll hit the speed at which the shaft might have issues on a 1/4.

still, i might be crazy, but i do think she got a bit weaker on the low end. asked guys from Steeda to review the logs and see if they can do anything to make it better.

David Young

Reaction score
Most of us v6'ers are running the MPT tunes. $100 each isn't too bad. 0 to 60 is hard to get a good time. I ran a 5.1 recorded on my G-Tech, but I didn't hook until almost 45 mph :(. With perfect traction I'm sure I would be in the high 4's :)

mist82

Reaction score
Didn't look into MPT. Spoke to my Steeda tuner, he gave me instructions on what to log, just haven't had the time. Gonna do it in the next few days and see what they come up with. Don't know abt 5.1 tough or high 4s. Seems a bit fast for a V6, but maybe with more upgrades and perfect conditions. I don't need to race it, but want to squeeze all the power I can from it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back