What have you done to your mustang today?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Pulled one wheel off the car. Apparently I have a slow leak in my 2 year old drag radial. Plenty of tread left and I can't see any nails in there. Not sure what's up.

Never going to buy expensive welds and run them on a street car again. Breaks my heart to see all the damage these things are getting from driving around on them. Not just scratches but divots and dings from rocks hitting the wheel.

Check the valve stem?
If you have a large bin you can fill with water, you can put the wheel/tire in there and check it for leaks that way. Maybe even pump it to like 40 psi first.
I've done that a bunch of times at the dealership I used to work at, always found the leak.
Or spray soapy water on the tire, valve stem, bead area, etc ...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I've even seen porous wheels, where the air escapes through the barrel of the wheel itself. Something I'd still look for at least in any aluminum wheel if there was a hard-to-find leakage. Look for really tiny bubbles in soapy (but not sudsy) water.

Norm

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Installed Steeda Heavy Duty Tensioner on my 3V today.
zPYd0Op.jpg

5g256Vc.jpg

oc532T7.jpg

Just as a Heads-Up I think you might like to know the following.
I went through Three (3) of those Supposedly Heavy-Duty Steeda Tensioners.
They came apart buddy .........

I highly suggest getting the unit below which is what's on mine right now.
It is Top-of-the-Line !!!

Here is the Steeda look close at the difference in the two parts.
Steeda Unit is nothing more than a Modified Stock piece.

Here is the Billet Tensioner installed.
It is Adjustable and also has like (Twice) the Belt-Tension.

I just found the DBR invoice on the tensioner.
It will give you the cost.
I'm pretty sure the price on invoice is Retail I did not get any breaks on pricing.

Terry

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Wheel is at the tire shop today. If the wheel itself has a problem then I'm probably screwed. Hopefully it's just the valve stem.

If one of those wheels develops a serious issue that's it not buying any more welds. Just not able to take the damage from daily street use.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^ Dude, I would put money on the valve stem being the issue, especially if you have the TPMS that are on the inside of the wheel at the valve stem. I have had two go bad on me.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Ran in a 1/2 mile over the weekend. Best pass was 162.9. Had a nasty cross wind of 25mph gusting to near 40. Got pretty sketchy. Anyway, pleased how my little 3V with Saleen blower performed. On my 162.9 run I raced my buddy’s 2010 GT500 with VMP gen II supercharger and we got the same mph. Although I finished first :)

d66b8b8532edea5e85d4e90327d5bd76.jpg
2b9e3751b5165e6451524a0110f855d9.jpg
Nice pass- is this from a dead dig or a 30/40 roll like I see from there videos online? I was going to got the event but 80+ degree weather steered me from it

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I've even seen porous wheels, where the air escapes through the barrel of the wheel itself. Something I'd still look for at least in any aluminum wheel if there was a hard-to-find leakage. Look for really tiny bubbles in soapy (but not sudsy) water.

Norm

I had this same porous effect happen on one of my new 18 x 10" rear chrome bullitt rims from AM. Low pressure sensor tripped every 3 weeks...real slow leak. Took it to local tire shop I deal with..and we stuck it into this giant water tub they use for testing. Sure enough, we see these tiny, microscopic bubbles streaming up through the spokes. So we flipped it 180 degs, spokes facing down...and the leak was aprx 2" in from back edge of the barrel. Exchanged for a new one, zero problems since. That was fall of 2011.

Kicker was, when AM ships tires mounted on rims... they blow em up to 40-41 psi. 3 were 40 psi... the 4th was just 32 psi. I had previously read on one of their reviews about tire products being shipped with 40 psi in em...so beware. I shoulda known something was amiss with the 4th rim having only 32 psi.

The leak was so microscopic, with water applied, or soapy water applied, it would not show up ! Tire shop has gone through this several times b4, hence just toss the entire rim+ rubber into the 36" ID x 18" tall SS tank with water already in it.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
They couldn't find the leak. Replaced the valve stem and re-mounted the tire. So far it hasn't bled air. Keeping an eye on it for now.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
To follow up, I happened to drive past the weigh station on the way to-from where I was going, so figured it was the perfect time to get a weight. Right around 1/2 tank, full all other fluids and me NOT being in the vehicle.

MoqIZrkl.jpg

I feel pretty good with that considering stock dry weight is supposed to be 3605 lbs. :cool:

Did some fast and easy weight reduction today. Took off the STB and engine cover for about 11 lbs, and then pulled the trunk floor board, and mat out for about 14 lbs. Not too bad for 5 min work, all of it unbolting the STB. I dont have a spare, just an air compressor :) I really want to weigh my car, there just isnt a weigh station very close. It's a base package brembo car that's already had a good deal of drivetrain and suspension mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

IFlyEm

Reaction score
Is there a benefit to removing it beyond cleaning up the engine bay?
For my car, there is no benefit to having it. I have aftermarket exhaust do it doesn't add anything. I like it better out of the engine bay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

travelers

Reaction score
My '11 didn't sound any different with or without. And with the ARHs with OR-H pipe you don't need it anyway.......Haahahahah

jsquared_25

forum member
Reaction score
Just received my 3” prochamber from UPS yesterday, should have it put on Friday morning.

Attachments

• E21B5922-E562-4046-8EE0-8CDCFB57ADFF.jpg
    E21B5922-E562-4046-8EE0-8CDCFB57ADFF.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 18

jsquared_25

forum member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure because of their quality issues you don’t hear a lot about them any more. Once I realized they made the prochamber in 3”, I had to get one.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back