What have you done to your house today

JimC

Reaction score
Pretty much anything 10 years plus, all bets are off. Just a perk of being a home owner lol
The odd thing is this isn't the first house we have bought. So how she "didn't know that the HVAC was 14 years into the 20 year life span" is beyond me. I think that what has happened is that after hounding me for months that we need to get started, schedule a vacation to specifically house hunt, do everything ahead of that to get pre-qualified, she suddenly is saying "oh my god, can we afford to move" and now looking for an out on the contract (of course that is AFTER I have spent about $1,500 on inspections and mortgage applications and due diligence fees that can't be recovered)

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I had the guy spec them out today with installation. We opted to get an estimate on 6 of them installed. He suggested the sealed ones that don't allow bugs to get into which I like.

Does $2000 installed sound reasonable? $1100 for 6 LED lights 48" long and $900 for install.

Also got quotes on the garage floor and garage tracking system which was in line with what I thought.

OUCH!
$2K for six fixtures installed?
:omfg:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Clean up is super easy, i am sure some liquid make it underneath occasionally but epoxy concrete floor don't last for ever and if not perfectly will bubble up

I had the epoxy in our old place, it just wasn't very resilient to scratches but it was some solid color that wasn't very thick. I just like how the flakes look.

OUCH!
$2K for six fixtures installed?
:omfg:

I had all estimates itemized so I could cross research the cost of the items and see if I could find it at a better cost. It looks like it was the fixture prices were spot on, but the cost on labor was what I was curious about. Already worked out a better price with garage door motors - was quoted $500/ea when they are $275/ea on eBay.

Nothing was as ridiculous (at least to me) as one painter.... Quoted me $14,000 to repaint the interior of the house. :insane::insane::insane:

Last edited:

MSgt46270

Reaction score
I bought my house Sept 2016 and have been doing a lot to it already and still have a long way to go.
Just last week I got the fake grass installed. My good friend Joe has been helping me also. Here is a before shot and how it currently looks. We are working on the flower bed in front of the wall.

Backyard plans are to build a wall to replace the fence, fire pit, a BBQ, install two gazebos and paver's and maybe some fake grass.

Before:
ISe093h3l1bruz0000000000_zps3jxhkrc0.jpg

After:
20170612_130151_zps1uqfilxo.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I bought my house Sept 2016 and have been doing a lot to it already and still have a long way to go.
Just last week I got the fake grass installed. My good friend Joe has been helping me also. Here is a before shot and how it currently looks. We are working on the flower bed in front of the wall.

Backyard plans are to build a wall to replace the fence, fire pit, a BBQ, install two gazebos and paver's and maybe some fake grass.

After:
20170612_130151_zps1uqfilxo.jpg

That looks awesome, great job on the retaining wall!
Haven't really heard of fake grass, but that looks great on there!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That looks awesome, great job on the retaining wall!
Haven't really heard of fake grass, but that looks great on there!

Big thing in cali due to the draught.

JimC

Reaction score
Our house is back on track, spent 45 minutes on the phone with the agent going over the inspection report. My wife was still focused on the HVAC age (still can't understand why she is surprised that the house was built in 2003 and the HVAC and water heater are 14 years into a 20 year expected life). But we have a home warranty, she wouldn't listen to me when I was trying to explain it but finally listened to the agent last night.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I call it fake grass because that's what it is, but it's also called "artificial turf".

Yeah, but the water co. still had a 17% increased.

http://justurf.com/

Funny that you talk about water dept increase. We just got a letter telling us that we needed to insure our water lines but the letter was sent with fake letter head from Florida Power and Light. Can you spell scam?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Crew started to rip out our walkway, driveway and bushes. putting in new pavers for the walk, drive and creating a patio in the front of the house

MSgt46270

Reaction score
The sidewalk in our front yard was uneven by 1.5 inches. The tree roots didn't help either. My friend Joe and I took two days to level the sidewalk.

20170416_162250_zpsvdzjpciv.jpg

20170416_170729_zpstjt7kmm9.jpg

20170417_103715_zpsyrexortm.jpg

We must have used 3 or 4 bags of concrete to support the sidewalk.
20170417_152057_zpskqj7bsph.jpg

20170417_162249_zpsbu9tms1s.jpg

It came out looking a lot better.
20170417_171855_zpsaaejvkjm.jpg

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Looking for opinions - Cable and Packages...

Has anyone here ditched cable all together? Looking at plans today and I had Verizon Fios before and didn't have any issue except that when I got it, the only thing that was available was the bundle (phone, tv, internet) and we really don't use 2/3 of those.

Just curious to know if anyone has done it and not looked back. Literally the only channels I watched on TV was Velocity and HGTV and for $$ I think I could do without them.

Verizon has stand alone internet 50mbps starting at $39.99 + a bazillion fees. I know it sounds like I answered my own questons... just wondering if anyone else has gone this route.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I only have cable for internet but Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse Networks) charges me about $78 per month. I have an antenna on the roof for my two TVs and it works fine.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Almost passed out working in the sun, edging and removing the top layer/grass layer from a good size patch on the front lawn, something we wanted to do to have a good area for mulch for the 3 things currently planted there (more smaller stuff coming down the line).

Load the dirt/grass, go out back to unload, go back and re-load.
Really wish it was cloudy the whole time, as the sun was freakin' brutal.

Fiancee did the mulching after I was done with clearing out the patch.

20170618_frt-yard-project_3.jpg

20170618_frt-yard-project_4.jpg

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Has anyone here ditched cable all together? Looking at plans today and I had Verizon Fios before and didn't have any issue except that when I got it, the only thing that was available was the bundle (phone, tv, internet) and we really don't use 2/3 of those.

Just curious to know if anyone has done it and not looked back. Literally the only channels I watched on TV was Velocity and HGTV and for $$ I think I could do without them.

Verizon has stand alone internet 50mbps starting at $39.99 + a bazillion fees. I know it sounds like I answered my own questons... just wondering if anyone else has gone this route.

I just have basic cable because it comes with the internet and then stream everything I watch, I got Netflix and DIRECTV now with my att unlimited data package on the cellphones

ksack

forum member
Reaction score

I've had a couple friends talk about Sling TV. Might be worth looking into

Dad

forum member
Reaction score

We have Comcast for internet only. Don't really miss it because we rarely watched TV anyhow. So I have a nice 36" flat screen "monitor" for watching youtube vids.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I only have cable for internet but Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse Networks) charges me about $78 per month. I have an antenna on the roof for my two TVs and it works fine.

Same here. We have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable in my area) for internet only that is cable delivered. We use an OTA antenna for local TV and Netflix. Between OTA, Netflix and other streaming online, we don't miss cable TV at all and we have more TV to watch than time to watch it. We cut that cord almost 10 years ago and haven't missed it at all.

And we pay about the same as skwerl for our internet.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back