GT500 fuel pump replacement question

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
One of my GT500 fuel pumps is bad. Is there any direct replacement pump I can swap in? Possibly something i can pick up locally from a parts store? I'd hate to leave the car taken apart over a single pump going bad. Car still runs but cuts out under acceleration.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not as far I know. They don't sell the bare pumps by themselves as they are very specific on top mount orientation. You can find bare take out pumps on ebay from time to time. Don't forget to bench test the pump bypassing all the wiring fpdm and harness to verify the pump is indeed dead first. Just run power and ground wires right to the pump terminals and see if its moving fuel and coming on.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Not as far I know. They don't sell the bare pumps by themselves as they are very specific on top mount orientation. You can find bare take out pumps on ebay from time to time. Don't forget to bench test the pump bypassing all the wiring fpdm and harness to verify the pump is indeed dead first. Just run power and ground wires right to the pump terminals and see if its moving fuel and coming on.

I started by testing the FPDM for power, which it had none. Checked the relay and found it to be bad. Swapped in a good relay, checked for power and had power. Checked at the top of the pump and still had power, yet still had the cutting out problem. Pulled the assembly and tested both pumps. One is good, one is bad. Guess a new assembly is in order. :okay2:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To note DW makes a direct fit replacement 340lph pump now, with a 3 year no fault warranty and e85 rated. Not sure if you modded or fuel swapped.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
To note DW makes a direct fit replacement 340lph pump now, with a 3 year no fault warranty and e85 rated. Not sure if you modded or fuel swapped.

I think I'm just gonna go with a complete OEM take out. I've never heard of a GT500 pump failure until now so that's probably the most reliable option. The car is modded but it's already tuned for the stock pump. I don't want to make too many changes.

Thanks for the help!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its a no tune required swap from the ones I have done guys are just dropping them in. Pump characteristics are very similar to stock with more flow on the top end. FYI.

That is a good bet too, they go for $250-300 on ebay for a complete drop in hat.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Its a no tune required swap from the ones I have done guys are just dropping them in. Pump characteristics are very similar to stock with more flow on the top end. FYI.

That is a good bet too, they go for $250-300 on ebay for a complete drop in hat.

A buddy of mine had a Ford Racing upgraded GT500 pump, the same one that comes with the GT500 Whipple kit. Picked it up for $175 and swapped it in. Only difference was the sending unit, which I swapped over from the old one. Runs great now.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine had a Ford Racing upgraded GT500 pump, the same one that comes with the GT500 Whipple kit. Picked it up for $175 and swapped it in. Only difference was the sending unit, which I swapped over from the old one. Runs great now.

:clap:

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score

Would you consider these a better option over the Aero 325's? Wouldn't really see e85 ever so that part doesn't matter.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Would you consider these a better option over the Aero 325's? Wouldn't really see e85 ever so that part doesn't matter.

Yes. Only good/reliable 340 pumps ( and I have used them all) are the aem and dw. Out of all the brands they are the only consistent ones that flow as advertised. The rest have been hit or miss including aeromotive. DW has the corner on direct fit now anyway. It was quite a bit of work to get other pumps on the gt500 hat before.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Yes. Only good/reliable 340 pumps ( and I have used them all) are the aem and dw. Out of all the brands they are the only consistent ones that flow as advertised. The rest have been hit or miss including aeromotive. DW has the corner on direct fit now anyway. It was quite a bit of work to get other pumps on the gt500 hat before.

Awesome, thanks. Want to do a pair of those, bigger line, some bigger injectors and go make more powaa while staying returnless.

Kput

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like it's time for an upgrade :D

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back